IGNORED

Martin O'Neil v Lee Johnson Part 1

reddogkev

Would this be the first time they've faced each other?  I always find it extremely fascinating when Lee has to face a manager for the first time.

Will Lee Johnson get the plaudits for a decent City performance, or will the old-timer have too many tricks up his sleeve?  Going back through my memories, it seems such a long time ago that Martin did a fantastic job with Leicester, back in the old Filbert Street days, with the commanding Elliot at the back and was it, Steve Claridge up front for him?  Amazing to think Martin's still managing at such a high level all these years later.

Separate point - Anyone know if Roy Keane  might also be about on the touchline?  I've heard it rumoured, but can't see anything for certain.  Macca and Holden better be ready for war if so...

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Would this be the first time they've versed each other?  I always find it extremely fascinating when Lee has to face a manager for the first time.

Will Lee Johnson get the plaudits for a decent City performance, or will the old-timer have too many tricks up his sleeve?  Going back through my memories, it seems such a long time ago that Martin did a fantastic job with Leicester, back in the old Filbert Street days, with the commanding Elliot at the back and was it, Steve Claridge up front for him?  Amazing to think Martin's still managing at such a high level or these years later.

Separate point - Anyone know if Roy Keane  might also be about on the touchline?  I've heard it rumoured, but can't see anything for certain.  Macca and Holden better be ready for war if so...

Are they versing each other?  I didn't realise that football managers were so poetic these days.

Dear Martin O'Neil/ I strongly feel/ with a victory away/ we'll ruin your day.

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Are they versing each other?  I didn't realise that football managers were so poetic these days.

Dear Martin O'Neil/ I strongly feel/ with a victory away/ we'll ruin your day.

Good spot on the grammatical error!  Correction made!  I'm sure a fair few managers dabble with a line or two of poetry, perhaps in the changing rooms?

1 hour ago, Royston Red said:

My contribution to this poetic thread:

To Nottingham I did go,

To watch the Bristol City shooters,

There to ruin O'Neil's first show,

Almost as good as lunch at Hooters.

My rather poor contribution: 

The losing team wore red, 

The winning team wore white.

The fans were it a little bit happy 

They drank cider all through the night.

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Intense anger management ?

Keane stopped drinking alcohol - when he was still playing - to help him with his anger problems. It worked 90% but he still has that ‘edge’  about him.

I think MoN was referring to more practical issues in the SSN piece. 

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

Keane stopped drinking alcohol - when he was still playing - to help him with his anger problems. It worked 90% but he still has that ‘edge’  about him.

I think MoN was referring to more practical issues in the SSN piece. 

RK’s dad is ill, that’s all.

What might have been. In 1992 Manager Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampton manager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O’Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager. The following week Dennis Smith was appointed manager.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

What might have been. In 1992 Manager Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampton manager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O’Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager. The following week Dennis Smith was appointed manager.

Where did you get that info from mate?

Archived