IGNORED

New SL strategy to get promotion

southvillekiddy

9 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

SL seems to be on a charm offensive today with his comments about ring fencing the rugby and this. :facepalm:

Maybe legally questionable too, the ring-fencing of the rugby idea. Of course he can express his view- a longstanding debate in rugby- but to actually implement it maybe problematic.

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2019/01/13/ring-fencing-competition-law/

Don't agree with it but all the Leeds fans having a right old moan and pop at City on social media would do well to remember their chairman did exactly the same to the EFL about Wolves less than a year ago. Glass houses and all that.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Don't agree with it but all the Leeds fans having a right old moan and pop at City on social media would do well to remember their chairman did exactly the same to the EFL about Wolves less than a year ago. Glass houses and all that.

This is so true

Len Shackleton was the first footballer to publish his autobiography. It included a chapter famously titled 'The Average Director's Knowledge of Football' that consisted of a single, blank page.

Just stay out of it Steve and let the EFL process take it's course.

I know that LJ bangs on a lot about getting procedures right that might give us (something like) a 0.1% advantage that might prove to be crucial.  With this in mind I would assume that we do the same kind of thing in spying on other teams just to get an advantage, in fact I would be disappointed if we were so "principled" that we didn't do it!  I really don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you get away with it (unlike Leeds).   In fact, if you get caught, so what.

The game has changed so much in terms of how ruthless and cynical a club has to be in achieving success.   Look at game management,  about 30 years ago it was frowned upon if your team was winning and tried to shield the ball by the opposition corner flag, bring on subs and feign injuries to run down the clock, these days we scream and shout if they don't do it!  TV pundits criticise players for not going to ground when they have been slightly brushed in the penalty area (although more VAR may change that!).  Like it or not that's the way things are, and if you don't put these things into practice you will get left behind in the cut and thrust of the modern game. 

Widen that out to the way a club runs itself off the field, and see how a "small" club like Bournemouth has achieved promotion to the Prem by throwing millions at the the club and breaking all FFP rules, and getting a slap on the wrist type fine which barely scratches the surface of the financial benefits and the status of the club,  which is now consolidated in the PL.  Does SL think that Bournemouth fans feel bad about the fact that they broke the rules and are now watching PL football for the 4th successive season?

I admire SL for what he has done for the club, especially in terms of the stadium and hopefully the football side of things is coming together in a sustainable way.  But this particular high and mighty attitude to some dude watching opposition clubs training is just wrong.  Unless, as the title of the thread suggests, he is going for  a sort "points deduction" way of achieving promotion - which would be the most cynical strategy of all!

We do need a more ruthless streak!

4 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I know that LJ bangs on a lot about getting procedures right that might give us (something like) a 0.1% advantage that might prove to be crucial.  With this in mind I would assume that we do the same kind of thing in spying on other teams just to get an advantage, in fact I would be disappointed if we were so "principled" that we didn't do it!  I really don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you get away with it (unlike Leeds).   In fact, if you get caught, so what.

The game has changed so much in terms I how ruthless and cynical a club has to be in achieving success.   Look at game management,  about 30 years ago it was frowned upon if your team was winning and tried to shield the ball by the opposition corner flag, bring on subs and feign injuries to run down the clock, these days we scream and shout if they don't do it!  TV pundits criticise players for not going to ground when they have been slightly brushed in the penalty area (although more VAR may change that!).  Like it or not that's the way things are, and if you don't put these things into practice you will get left behind in the cut and thrust of the modern game. 

Widen that out to the way a club runs itself off the field, and see how a "small" club like Bournemouth has achieved promotion to the Prem by throwing millions at the the club and breaking all FFP rules, and getting a slap on the wrist type fine which barely scratches the surface of the financial benefits and the status of the club,  which is now consolidated in the PL.  Does SL think that Bournemouth fans feel bad about the fact that they broke the rules and are now watching PL football for the successive season?

I admire SL for what he has done for the club, especially in terms of the stadium and hopefully the football side of things is coming together in a sustainable way.  But this particular high and mighty attitude to some dude watching opposition clubs training is just wrong.  Unless, as the title of the thread suggests, he is going for  a sort "points deduction" way of achieving promotion - which would be the most cynical strategy of all!

We do need a more ruthless streak!

Absolutely perfect post. Top man.

36 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Getting to be a tradition. Bristol City's annual massive January transfer window clanger.

Last season Ashton ensured that the steam would go out of our campaign and that Joe, Bobby and Aden would go.

Now this.

You think this is on a par with last Jan? 

As a nation we are culturally the most honest nation in the world.

However...Football is a business, and Industrial espionage goes on all the time, especially in big business.

This is just another form of doing it. Yes...'it's not Cricket'...but every Club does it.

In many Countries it's seen as being clever, and very much approved. They would think you were mental if you didn't do it.

The only way it can really be governed is if the EFL etc, put in an actual law, where if caught and proven to be 'spying' a fine or points deduction is implemented.

Not just make it up as they go along. This is why teams do it...as there is no actual black and white consequence.

Out of interest, does anyone think SL was simply moralising, or is there more to it? I have to imagine there was.

Clearly it was an off-the-cuff response to a question, but even then it's a particularly strong view to suddenly take - there must have been some thinking on this?

I always keep in mind how much SL/LJ speak each week. I wonder if LJ has already briefed him on aspects of his Elland Road setup he thinks were pre-known.

Just find it strange SL would talk in terms of punishment if he was just moralising about the gamesmanship of it. Seems to me he has some specific grievance.

We brought in Adelakun pretty last minute in a newly compact 4-5-1. The two teams did cancel each other out and their full backs sat back to cover our wingers.

If SL or LJ really have a grievance they'll no doubt explain what it is - as it is he hasn't actually demanded anything from the EFL, he's simply given a point of view.

Football is, absolutely, about "skulking around." Around someone else's training ground, their star striker, their young "up and coming" head coach, their star academy product, their penalty area, their back four, their bloody ground. Their L1 goalscorer and his hush-hush buy out clause. Everything. 

You "skulk around" as much as you can possibly get away with.

There's nothing "fair" about professional football; least of all, Financial Fair Play.

Cheats prosper, in professional football. The clever ones.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

^ That's actually really good to hear that the club is deliberately trying to fly under the radar - I thought we put a lot of pressure on ourselves last season, LJ is a much better manager without all the hype, as much as he likes it.

Don't worry Rob. I'll get one of Bielsa's mates to record LJ's conversations for you. #Returnofthehype

21 minutes ago, Olé said:

Out of interest, does anyone think SL was simply moralising, or is there more to it? I have to imagine there was.

Clearly it was an off-the-cuff response to a question, but even then it's a particularly strong view to suddenly take - there must have been some thinking on this?

I always keep in mind how much SL/LJ speak each week. I wonder if LJ has already briefed him on aspects of his Elland Road setup he thinks were pre-known.

Just find it strange SL would talk in terms of punishment if he was just moralising about the gamesmanship of it. Seems to me he has some specific grievance.

We brought in Adelakun pretty last minute in a newly compact 4-5-1. The two teams did cancel each other out and their full backs sat back to cover our wingers.

If SL or LJ really have a grievance they'll no doubt explain what it is - as it is he hasn't actually demanded anything from the EFL, he's simply given a point of view.

Just a very English type of moralising when it comes to sport I think. The claim that only foreign players dive, which was always bogus, can't be used any more so we have to find something else we can claim moral superiority over.

The strange order of values in English football means that standing in a public place watching footballers train is regarded as much worse than financial doping or career threatening fouls.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I thought I'd find it for you Rob...

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Just a very English type of moralising when it comes to sport I think. The claim that only foreign players dive, which was always bogus, can't be used any more so we have to find something else we can claim moral superiority over.

The strange order of values in English football means that standing in a public place watching footballers train is regarded as much worse than financial doping or career threatening fouls.

:clap:

Great post I think- been pondering similar myself. Not so much agree on SL because he runs us correctly but a lot of the nonsense in the last week or so- plenty of hypocrisy, dubious, moralising everywhere. Peter Shilton's comments the best on SSN.

It's a short clip and fairly light but a prime example- better watched than typed IMO.

1 minute ago, CiderJar said:

I thought I'd find it for you Rob...

He was quite right to raise concerns I think but the fact is that the football authorities treat such matters with much less rigour than trivial matters like the 'spying scandal'.

They really don't give a monkeys where the money comes from or how dubious club owners are, hence the hopelessly weak fit and proper proper person test.

40 minutes ago, Olé said:

I did wonder whether he’s annoyed at Leeds about something else as well - the thought that went through my head was whether they think Calum’s been tapped up and there is a bit of a grievance against the club generally? Either way, I’d suggest his comments make a sale of COD to Leeds this window less likely

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great post I think- been pondering similar myself. Not so much agree on SL because he runs us correctly but a lot of the nonsense in the last week or so- plenty of hypocrisy, dubious, moralising everywhere. Peter Shilton's comments the best on SSN.

It's a short clip and fairly light but a prime example- better watched than typed IMO.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting any financial mismanagement on Steve 's part at all. Much to some fans'irritation he takes playing by the rules seriously.

My point is that the football authorities are weak when it comes to dubious owners and financial practices but act tough on trivial matters.

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I did wonder whether he’s annoyed at Leeds about something else as well - the thought that went through my head was whether they think Calum’s been tapped up and there is a bit of a grievance against the club generally? Either way, I’d suggest his comments make a sale of COD to Leeds this window less likely

Interesting thought. It is a bit uncharacteristic for SteveL to come out with anything like this when we aren’t directly involved as such. 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm not even sure Derby are going this far, and they were the ones wronged.

I feel embarrassed for the club right now.

Just goes to show, you can have all the money in the world but still talk utter ***** sometimes.

As the saying goes... 'ead's gone.

Until Bielsa admitted to doing the same to every opposition they’ve faced this season. IMO they have clearly overstepped the mark pretty much every week spying on ‘closed’ training sessions, I don’t agree with SL coming out and saying this, just let the FA make their own minds up.

Steve Lansdown - no more Mr Niceguy?

I hope that when a big club like Villa/Derby/whoever falls foul of ffp that SL is equally vocal in demanding that the EFL apply a points deduction, should they shy away from so doing.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unfortunately, try as I may, I just cannot get the volume on this clip.

As it is only short, would it be too much to ask you to type the text?

Thanks in advance ?.

Archived