IGNORED

Joe Bryan

LondonBristolian

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes, but we need to be critical of Bryan in particular because he is one of ours.

People seem to take pleasure in it though.

I share others views that Bryan had some deficiencies defensively at LB, but he had strengths to compensate, especially going forward at Championship level.

I wished him all the best.  He’s taken on a challenge in going to the Prem, fair play to him.  And that challenge is for a side not blessed with players experienced at this level, so they are getting punished for every little thing.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta

Look at the 3 Fulham guys not marking anyone whilst Bryan out of shot.  I’m sure they are all contributing to Fulham’s ability to concede along with Bryan.

Its poor. But the Keeper? If you are not going to for come that … Might as well have sat down. 

2 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

He still seems to switch off, frim the bits and pieces  I have seen. Anyone seen more of him able  to comment?

From what I’ve seen and also apparently tonight, yes. Seems slightly strange he’s mentioned that in the article when he seems to be exactly the same as he was with us. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

@Harry something you noticed a lot last season! 

That’s a familiar sight! Really surprised he hasn’t stamped it out of his game, I thought he would when he went up a level. Maybe if he gets roasted for it this time it might make something click for him? 

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I share others views that Bryan had some deficiencies defensively at LB, but he had strengths to compensate, especially going forward at Championship level.

I wished him all the best.  He’s taken on a challenge in going to the Prem, fair play to him.  And that challenge is for a side not blessed with players experienced at this level, so they are getting punished for every little thing.

i agree entirely with your sentiments.

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Not a left back or wing back, never was. A great attacking midfielder.

This.

Hasnt got the positional sense to be a defender, constantly losing his man.

Being ripped a new one by Alex Scott post match was embarrassing aswell :facepalm: I’m all for equality etc but the women Sky have employed to analyse games are terrible.

5 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

This.

Hasnt got the positional sense to be a defender, constantly losing his man.

Being ripped a new one by Alex Scott post match was embarrassing aswell :facepalm: I’m all for equality etc but the women Sky have employed to analyse games are terrible.

Didn’t hear her comments, but generally she’s a decent pundit.

Thought she gave Paul Ince a decent debate on Football Focus yesterday.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Look at the 3 Fulham guys not marking anyone whilst Bryan out of shot.  I’m sure they are all contributing to Fulham’s ability to concede along with Bryan.

He's the full back on the wrong side of the man who scores on the back post, he jogs along behind him wrong side for half the pitch length.  It was avoidable if he'd positioned properly, got the right side and put pressure on.

Over reliance on pace is the thing Jamie McAllister was trying to coach out of him, in the Prem nearly everyone is quick.

It's hardly hypercritical, just an observation.  I'd like him to be a success but he needs to learn quickly.  He's a smart lad so he should be able to but this was laziness rather than inability.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He's the full back on the wrong side of the man who scores on the back post, he jogs along behind him wrong side for half the pitch length.  It was avoidable if he'd positioned properly, got the right side and put pressure on.

Over reliance on pace is the thing Jamie McAllister was trying to coach out of him, in the Prem nearly everyone is quick.

It's hardly hypercritical, just an observation.  I'd like him to be a success but he needs to learn quickly.  He's a smart lad so he should be able to but this was laziness rather than inability.

Not saying Joe not at fault, just saying that to look at 3 other players running back with no intention of marking anyone....indicative of Fulham’s problem per se.

1 hour ago, Trueredsupporter said:

cant think of a less arrogant football to meet. while the boys are on the piss getting sun on backs hes training at back2action.

What's getting and staying fit to do with ability or mindset? As displayed on the pitch since he first broke through and again in The Times article he, by his own admission, has realised that defensively he is frail and that his belief that his physical strength might compensate for laxity is misplaced. For too long he assumed his physical superiority could counter anything an opponent threw at him. The fact he kept thinking as much despite being routinely found out is arrogant.

Wish the kid well, he seems a decent sort and will go far, but reliable defender he ain't.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying Joe not at fault, just saying that to look at 3 other players running back with no intention of marking anyone....indicative of Fulham’s problem per se.

Watching them this season reminds me of us when we first came up from L1 under Cotts. Decent going forward and play attractive enough stuff, but so naive defensively, and the mistakes get punished at the higher level. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Watching Fulham reminds me of our first season in the championship punished for every mistake I think they'll be back in the championship with us next season 

He is an awful defender. Really dont understand why some on here creamed there pants over him. He is decent going foward but IMO we have had Fulhams pants down with the fee they payed. Being young English and that goal against Man U did a lot for Bryan.. he is over hyped massively for me.

9 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

cant think of a less arrogant football to meet. while the boys are on the piss getting sun on backs hes training at back2action.

Some people are clueless 

Probably one of the least arrogant players ever. Real down to earth lad who does loads for the community

35 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

So City fans get off by insulting  an ex academy. player trying to make a name in the Prem. Who we sold for a great fee for a non forward. It is the most small minded and pathetic aspect of our club. The better and higher our ex players go the easier it will be for LJ to attract young talent. 

Until we rid ourselves of this small minded parochial mindset we will remain an also ran off the pitch.

We need to celebrate players like Joe not be bitter and twisted. 

See I come from the total opposite viewpoint. 

I find the obsession over Bryan & Reid a bit embarrassing. I think that’s what makes us look small time. I bet Leeds aren’t happy for players when they leave to go elsewhere, their us against the world mentality is to be admired imo. 

I refuse to support many players once they leave us. We should look towards the future, forget everyone who’s left, put all your effort into supporting the ones that are here, playing for us now. 

I don’t know if I’ve missed a few comments, but who’s insulted him anyway? Think only criticisms have been put across. 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

So City fans get off by insulting  an ex academy. player trying to make a name in the Prem. Who we sold for a great fee for a non forward. It is the most small minded and pathetic aspect of our club.

Until we rid ourselves of this small minded parochial mindset we will remain an also ran off the pitch.

Who around here has been insulting Bryan? If you include in that anybody suggesting he's defensively poor then guilty, that's because he is. Offensively he has talents to offer, but not at Premier level. The fact he's there - good luck to him and hope he reaps the rewards that football's folly now bestows.

The fact we managed to extract over the odds for his worth is an absolute positive for the club and shows we need to be taken seriously.

If you want to attack the 'small-minded, parochial mindset' start here:

Fans who think local players are more meritorious than those from Timbuktu - they aren't and so long as they're good we shouldn't care less where they were born;

Fans with rose tinted glasses, the happy clappers for whom anybody who wears a City shirt can do no wrong. No amount of getting behind player or team will turn an inadequate or struggling player into a decent one. Never did, never will.

12 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Blokes a @@@@ if you ask me and one of the shit houses who derailed us last season!!

I’ve heard the same. Told the club he was out in December, just after the Man U game. So we as fans still hailed him as ‘one of our own’ when in reality he was already half out the door. Wouldn’t say he’s a @@@@ but I lost a lot of respect for him 

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The most revealing quote in that article:

"He believes it (the mental side) of performance is the key factor when stepping up to the Premier League. "Its the biggest thing I've realised in the past six months...the difference is there" says Bryan, tapping his head. "You get away in League One and the Championship with switching off- oh, my runners gone, I'll catch him up. In the Premier League, if you switch off and Eden Hazard runs off you he's scoring"

If I recall correctly, one of the biggest criticisms of Joe here was that he switched off far too often and relied on his ability to bail him out. If its finally got through that he can't do that, he may have a shot at doing something in the Prem.

You are correct Silvio

i could never get my head around JBs positioning at times , really poor

I asked JM about it and he explained because he was quick Joe believed he was quick enough to sort out any issue, and they were working to rid this

For a lad so clearly intelligent and educated , and one who had been around a professional football club all his life’s, with professional coaching I was bemused by having this mindset at any point

Anyone who’s played as a defender will quickly learn that if you can get your positioning right the game becomes a whole lot easier

With Joes intelligence and pace he should be in a position to achieve optimum positioning even if it wasn’t perfect to start with , and if he gets his positioning right , with his pace , decent strength , leap etc etc he should be ok or fine at that level

Moving it along .... BTRFTGs comments are hard , but thought provoking , arrogance ? In many ways that mindset is

That or lazy thinking tbh 

14 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

As proven again today Bryan's key weakness is, arguably, his arrogance which, in part, contributes to his offensive merits. If he thinks one may 'switch-off' in The Championship he's wholly mistaken, Premier just takes the punishment to another level. That's why he's always been a defensive liability.

He also signally ignores the fact that it's not always about catching-up. His standing 5 yards or more off the opponent only to watch the ball fly past his ears has long been a characteristic trademark. That, too, is sloppy 'switching-off' and no amount of speed will rectify that failing.

11 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

What's getting and staying fit to do with ability or mindset? As displayed on the pitch since he first broke through and again in The Times article he, by his own admission, has realised that defensively he is frail and that his belief that his physical strength might compensate for laxity is misplaced. For too long he assumed his physical superiority could counter anything an opponent threw at him. The fact he kept thinking as much despite being routinely found out is arrogant.

Wish the kid well, he seems a decent sort and will go far, but reliable defender he ain't.

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Some people are clueless 

Probably one of the least arrogant players ever. Real down to earth lad who does loads for the community

Of what I know about JB a very decent human being Andy but I wonder if ‘Footballing arrogance’ (Or the lesser ‘over confidence’ in his recovery abilities) is a better way of describing it

Im not sure I’ve ever seen anyone accuse JB of being arrogant off the pitch , anything but

Personally I hope he does well , clearly a good pro and it will be interesting to see if he eliminates the positional errors / laziness - he will need to do so quickly or his future as a Prem player will take a reputational setback

** A good opposite example of Joes flaw just occurred to me

In a recent home game , May even have been Bolton I noticed Marlon Pack start making a defensive / retreating run that initially made no obvious sense , but he had read a run and pass which despite his lack of pace meant he ended up in our right back position seeing off the danger - his reading of the game got him in a position to deal with the danger , despite his lack of pace

Top defending 

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

See I come from the total opposite viewpoint. 

I find the obsession over Bryan & Reid a bit embarrassing. I think that’s what makes us look small time. I bet Leeds aren’t happy for players when they leave to go elsewhere, their us against the world mentality is to be admired imo. 

I refuse to support many players once they leave us. We should look towards the future, forget everyone who’s left, put all your effort into supporting the ones that are here, playing for us now. 

I don’t know if I’ve missed a few comments, but who’s insulted him anyway? Think only criticisms have been put across. 

It may depend on what you view success as being. I look at success and progress as having local lads in the XI and progressing to higher levels. Joe Bryan starting at nine with City = Success.

The more of these players like Bryan and Reid exist, it then demonstrates the cohesion of the club. It is intent of the club, a principle to develop players. 

It will be a great day for the FC when a ex City academy player makes it into the England team. Bigger clubs than Leeds and their fans take pride in their players developing and progressing with and without them. These players can represent the values of their clubs and its idiosyncrasies - West Ham fans do take pride in the ability (highly technical) of the players their academy has produced and the club has sold.

14 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

I would agree with the arrogant label, but absolutely not as a 'personality' trait, he's incredibly amenable.

He does work very hard: on the physical side of the game, but he does have too much belief in his ability to think he can switch off and make amends through his pace. It's not down at back2action where Joe needs to train, it is the mental attributes which are holding him back. He's unlikely to improve much as a player skill wise, he does have it all: technique, pace, strength: he needs to become a student again and study where he needs to be in the pitch, to work on his concentration (and yes that 'arrogant belief that he can switch off but catch up with play') and his alertness. If he does that he will rise through the Premier League. 

Maybe arrogance sounds abrasive, perhaps misplaced confidence in his ability to catch up with play would be a softer way of putting it, or a laissez-faire attitude on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I would agree with the arrogant label, but absolutely not as a 'personality' trait, he's incredibly amenable.

He does work very hard: on the physical side of the game, but he does have too much belief in his ability to think he can switch off and make amends through his pace. It's not down at back2action where Joe needs to train, it is the mental attributes which are holding him back. He's unlikely to improve much as a player skill wise, he does have it all: technique, pace, strength: he needs to become a student again and study where he needs to be in the pitch, to work on his concentration (and yes that 'arrogant belief that he can switch off but catch up with play') and his alertness. If he does that he will rise through the Premier League. 

Maybe arrogance sounds abrasive, perhaps misplaced confidence in his ability to catch up with play would be a softer way of putting it, or a laissez-faire attitude on the pitch.

His work at back2action demonstrates he is a student. The bloke works on all parts of his game. That is how this little un in a game of he's too smalls got to where he is. Its a mindset of constant improvement. Interestingly while City players were on twitter up Whiteladies road, two were at Ashton Court training working on cardio - They were the two who moved to Premier league clubs. Both displaying a growth mindset the others lack.

The player may have reached his ceiling but he has stretched far more than others to reach it who do not. 

5 hours ago, billywedlock said:

So City fans get off by insulting  an ex academy. player trying to make a name in the Prem. Who we sold for a great fee for a non forward. It is the most small minded and pathetic aspect of our club. The better and higher our ex players go the easier it will be for LJ to attract young talent. 

We need to celebrate players like Joe not be bitter and twisted. 

Whos bitter and twisted? I think what annoyed many was the way Mr Bryan’s body language was in his final few games for City.. clearly uninterested and that hurts any football fan when you see that on the pitch. As Carey6 says its actually IMO a small time mentality to think the way you think.. do you think fans of big clubs around the world would wish a player all the best after him seemingly pushing a transfer through and not giving his all? The same goes for Bobby Reid unfortunately going to lets be honest one of if not our main rivals.. i doubt many Man U fans would be jumping for joy if Rashford went to Liverpool do you? Or if a Roma player moves across Rome to Lazio? For me id love nothing more than Reid and Bryan to be relegated and Bristol City Fc to be promoted.. i support this club i dont support individuals that no longer play for us!

Archived