IGNORED

Poor old Bob

AshtonGreat

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Sorry, you’ve lost me. But then I’ve just got back from Waitrose with my Guardian and Chicken & Avocado sandwich, so I can see already the view you have of my intelligence levels!

Surely a flop is exactly what you describe. A vast amount of money being spent on something/someone that doesn’t deliver what you (as purchaser) expected and/or buying someone as a striker and then finding out that’s not what they really are. I don’t think ‘flop’ is aimed at Bobby personally, just at the success (or otherwise) of Cardiff’s investment in him.

How’s the Mail by the way? Still pontificating about the sexualisation of children in print while publishing pictures of teenage girls in their underwear on line?

how do you know about teenage girls in their underwear online, been looking have we?

30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

How’s the Mail by the way?

I spent 25 years working in the Fourth Estate and wouldn't wipe my **** with that rag (much like The Gruaniad these days.) The latter I subscribed for 30 years though the last 15, truth be told, was wholly for the crossword and when Araucaria passed and they dumbed down to accommodate their declining readership I cancelled.

Reid isn't a 'flop' because he never had the ability to deliver if, as per the point of my post, one is stupid enough to equate price with quality. You may not understand that if you've coughed up how much these days for a newspaper devoid of worthy news and comment, but as an astute OTIB contributor I'm assuming you added in a bottle of vino or two with your sandwich and Waitrose chucked the paper in free of charge?

Scott must be turning in his grave at how low his fine Manchester newspaper has fallen.

Unlike The Gruaniad at least Cardiff don't have the gall to insult fans offered a sub-standard product for the price paid by issuance of a begging letter highlighting that further sums are required to keep the failing entity afloat.

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I spent 25 years working in the Fourth Estate and wouldn't wipe my **** with that rag (much like The Gruaniad these days.) The latter I subscribed for 30 years though the last 15, truth be told, was wholly for the crossword and when Araucaria passed and they dumbed down to accommodate their declining readership I cancelled.

Reid isn't a 'flop' because he never had the ability to deliver if, as per the point of my post, one is stupid enough to equate price with quality. You may not understand that if you've coughed up how much these days for a newspaper devoid of worthy news and comment, but as an astute OTIB contributor I'm assuming you added in a bottle of vino or two with your sandwich and Waitrose chucked the paper in free of charge?

Scott must be turning in his grave at how low his fine Manchester newspaper has fallen.

Unlike The Gruaniad at least Cardiff don't have the gall to insult fans offered a sub-standard product for the price paid by issuance of a begging letter highlighting that further sums are required to keep the failing entity afloat.

Agree not a flop to you and I, who knew that he didn’t have the ability to deliver in that role in that team. But one assumes that Cardiff thought he did have that ability etc, or they wouldn’t have shelled out £10m for him, so from their perspective that transaction has proved a flop. 

Diony was by common consent a flop for us, but last time I looked he’d netted 6 in 20 odd games in the top tier in France. 

You’re right about Waitrose’s generous subsidy. On Cardiff, I think football clubs generally have developed far more sophisticated ways of extracting extra cash at every opportunity than you give them credit for! 

15 hours ago, RedSkin said:

The flop was Warnock's.  Reid was never gonna be successful in a Warnock side.  The singing was unfathomable in my eyes. 

With any luck Reid will have his wages adjusted if they get relegated and we can get him back at a cut price deal.  

Love the lad.  Always will.  

Thought he was signed to play football not for his singing ability 

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Certainly not my newspaper of choice, although I read it frequently as it is available on-line free of charge.

The sport articles tend to be extremely good, often improved by the comments - I prefer the crossword in The Telegraph.

I am intrigued by your use of The Gruaniad: as I am sure you are aware, Private Eye coined the nickname The Grauniad due to its numerous misprints and typos, and I just wondered whether Gruaniad was your own term or, ironically, a typo.

36 minutes ago, pillred said:

why do you hope Fulham stay up? just because Joe Bryan left us for them. very flimsy reason imho. 

So sorry for my flimsy reasoning, I like their manager, and wish him and JB success.  I'll make sure I ask your permission in future.... if that's OK with you? ?

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have faith in Bobby’s ability to step up .

He has so much more to his game than goals and , as others have said , in a team set up differently he would surely get back on the goal trail. 

Cardiff were always going to struggle and chances are at premium.

Add in the fact that the lad hasn’t had a run of starts all contributes to a disappointing debut to his career in the top flight .

It’s in our interest that he succeeds , for the reputation of our club and if there are any add ons concerning Cardiff staying up , his number of appearances , goals etc. 

We should be commending one of our academy products who has made it to the Prem.

He got there but not made it.  What an asset he would be to us this season in the system we play, such a waste at that footballing backwater.

16 hours ago, maxjak said:

To be fair........out of the 3 departures, Joes seems the most successful. Just hope Fulham stay up.

Not Flint? I think he is doing well at Boro. 25 starts for them at CB in the meanest defence in the Championship.

Bryan has taken some time to adjust to Fulham, not helped by being in and out of the team at the start of the season and then suffering the change in manager. He's settling a bit more now and got a lot of plaudits for his crossing last night.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

wondered whether Gruaniad was your own term or, ironically, a typo.

I take no credit.

I not only have issues with Android's spell checker, if I had a quid for the number of ofs that upload as ifs I'd be a millionaire (that sentence alone required 8 corrections,) but I note this site also has the ability to translate apparently innocuous (1 correction) words into other forms it, I suppose, thinks less rude. With the rag in question I think I spelt it incorrectly it yonks ago (yonks took 5 corrections) and my phone somehow 'auto incorrects' it. My kids tell me not to read what comes up and to just keep typing but that doesn't seem to work for me. I'm not sure how to disable the 'dictionary feature' that once appeared in software packages (if that still exists,) the thing that automatically added in words it came across.

Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I take no credit.

I not only have issues with Android's spell checker, if I had a quid for the number of ofs that upload as ifs I'd be a millionaire (that sentence alone required 8 corrections,) but I note this site also has the ability to translate apparently innocuous (1 correction) words into other forms it, I suppose, thinks less rude. With the rag in question I think I spelt it incorrectly it yonks ago (yonks took 5 corrections) and my phone somehow 'auto incorrects' it. My kids tell me not to read what comes up and to just keep typing but that doesn't seem to work for me. I'm not sure how to disable the 'dictionary feature' that once appeared in software packages (if that still exists,) the thing that automatically added in words it came across.

Any ideas?

I can't help I'm afraid.

I use an Iphone, and I must say I find its predictive text and spellchecker quite efficient and helpful.

Unfortunately, I write in both English and French, and whilst I usually remember to change keyboards to suit the language in which I am writing, both the predictive text and spellcheck occasionally throw up some amazing (and potentially embarrassing) choices by mistaking the language.

Interestingly, I seem to have lost the spellcheck on this site - perhaps somebody might be able to advise how I might reinstall it. 

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

How dare you insult the organisation that brings us the magnificent David Squires each week!

I'd still read The Guardian rather than any of its dreadful competitors (many of which force you to pay for their even more sub-standard products).  It may have changed over the years, but the whole industry has had to change.

20 minutes ago, red panda said:

magnificent David Squires

Looked to buy his book once, read the blurb and realised he was a Swindle ex pat. Bigoted I know, but went straight back on Watersons shelf. Ditto Julian Wilson's biography that I wanted to read but post his previous City comments would never dare purchase.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Pleased for the lad.

Oh me too mate. Me too. Just come from nowhere hasn't it. 

BBC commentary sounds like classic Bobby "It's great movement from Bobby Reid. He was tight, maybe a yard or two on, but he times it to perfection, composes himself and passes it into the net."

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Oh me too mate. Me too. Just come from nowhere hasn't it. 

BBC commentary sounds like classic Bobby "It's great movement from Bobby Reid. He was tight, maybe a yard or two on, but he times it to perfection, composes himself and passes it into the net."

Why do football pundits always insist on using the wrong tenses?

1 hour ago, Super said:

Who cares?

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

I think it's embarrassing constantly bringing up former players like this. Makes us look tin pot. As said above, who cares? Bobby wasn't even a City fan. 

Being so mean spirited makes you look tin pot. You’re starting to sound like Robbored.

Nice lad, grew up here, did good things for us. Nothing wrong with wishing him well, personally.

12 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

I think it's embarrassing constantly bringing up former players like this. Makes us look tin pot. As said above, who cares? Bobby wasn't even a City fan. 

If our ex academy players do well it’s a good reflection on the club .

It enhances our status meaning our players are valued more highly which in turn means bigger transfer fees , add ons when we sell .

If that isn’t of interest to you try the human side of things , like many of us have watched Bobby since he was a nipper and are happy to see him get a bit of solace after a very difficult baptism in the top division.

What a sour puss you are . 

Archived