IGNORED

Number of city fans

Glyn Rileys Mullet

4 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

....and what number in the ranking are you @Robbored? Number 10,001 would be ironic.

Sorry you missed out.

Cyril. (#28,768)

I consider myself a true City fan - been around AG for over 50 years.

Probably seen the mighty reds play around 1000 times......

I realise that I’ve been able to attend most home games and that others aren’t able to for any number of reasons and that doesn’t necessarily mean their not true fans.......

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

How many fans have we got? I don't know, and quite frankly it makes our fanbase look a bit "needy". A bit like How many facebook friends have you got? 

Exactly, we’ve obviously got hundreds of thousands of fans in Bristol and around the world....those that say our total fanbase is ‘around 25k’ just can’t see beyond the BS postcodes....zillions of Bristolians have moved away and are situated across the globe....and a significant percentage of them would say they are Bristol City fans....but, as you say, why put an exact figure on it? We’ve got loads of fans, not all can get to the games, but we’ve got loads....and it doesn’t really matter how many that total is...but it is certainly many, many more than 25k....

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

All this true fan bollocks.

Last time I watched a City game live was when the Williams stand was up.

I can't go every week for a number of reasons so I'm not a true fan?

I've been a City fan since the days of Stockport County or Grimsby Town away. If City were rock bottom of L3, I'd still be a supporter.

There's no such thing and I hate that people are labelled as a "true fan" because they have a ST and have done so for 30 odd years or whatever.

Get off your high horses. You're the same as me. A fan.

I'm coming in for Saturday Peg. Its bastard cold here so booked me a couple of days in balmy Brizz!

I was one of the 312 fans at the 5-0 defeat away at Preston back in 2017. 

- At that time we were on one of Johnsons runs (4 wins in 29 games)

- It was a Tuesday night game 

- It was a 386 mile round trip from Bristol

- We played so poorly the players offered to refund the tickets 

Based on comments read above, I'd say unless you were one of the 311 other fans there that night .. The evidence is pretty clear I'm a super fan and we only have 312 REAL PROPER FANS .. ?

I agree it depends how you classify true fan, bit of guess work but here goes -

A Will still be attending every game if we slumped to bottom of League 2 = 5-6,000

B Would attend every game if we were doing reasonably well in the Championship (includes cat A) = 16-18,000

C Would attend every game if we were in the Premiership = 25,000 (includes cat A & B)

D Consider themselves a City supporter, but may not attend games for a variety of reasons (includes A, B & C) = 100,000

E City is one of the clubs they 'like' (includes cat A,B,C & D) = 250,000

In the E category I would include the likes of my extended family, many who never go to football and don't have a huge interest but due to family loyalty like to know City are doing well. People who are proud Bristolians and prefer City over Rovers due to geography but don't attend games and ex pats around the world who have a link to City but never actually see them play.

Of course, by this rationale the likes of Man United and Liverpool have millions of fans in Category E.

12 hours ago, eastonboy said:

Thanks, I'd almost forgot about him - I 'm so glad that you POINTED him out.

Still doing his stuff playing, sorry pointing, for Perth Glory. You can spot him a mile off when the tv cameras pan out wide. Playing alongside Andy Keogh no less and top of the table. I love a bit of A League footie on a weekend morning.

14 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I'm coming in for Saturday Peg. Its bastard cold here so booked me a couple of days in balmy Brizz!

Summat like minus 20 odd in Chicagy? It'll be like the Bahamas over here for you.

If anyone clocks Oxo in shorts, take the photo and post on here. :P

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I remember the old circular that used to get sent to fans 'Gatepost' had a circulation of 40,000 and that was over 20 years ago.

I agree with the poster above who estimated 100k...at least IMO. 

Last I heard our database was 60k, but that was pre-rebuild. 

I would guess at 70-80k that the club have direct contact details for. 

37 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Last I heard our database was 60k, but that was pre-rebuild. 

I would guess at 70-80k that the club have direct contact details for. 

Fair enough, but the OP referred to a person citing City as their first choice, so actually I think my estimate of 100k is probably well on the conservative side.

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

Depends on how the team is doing.......and how you describe a fan. 

True fans or fair weather fans?

Do they attend matches on a regular basis?

I can remember attendances at AG of around 6k  in the early 80s. Now City regulary attract around 20k most games.

The redevelopment helps of course and the team is doing pretty well in the last two seasons.

These days I’d reckon a core of thrue fans of around 8 - 10k

So narrow minded..

People who can't afford it are not true fans?

People that no longer live in Bristol are not true fans? 

People that play regularly on Saturday's themselves that don't go are not true fans?

There are so many reasons people can't attend regularly which doesn't mean you don't fully support City, and to quote only 8 - 10k are true fans is laughable! I'd say anyone who bought a season ticket and invested their money is classed as a true 'core' fan and that is far more than your 8-10k.

Am I right in thinking we brought 35, 000 for the JPT final a couple of years back? I am sure there were plenty in Bristol and indeed the world who did not make it because they had other commitments or could not afford it or it wasn't practical. Even in Bristol, the vast majority of people I know who would say City was the team they followed do not tend to go to many games so I'm sure we've got a lot more followers than merely those paying the gate receipts. 

I reckon 250, 000 upwards would identify City as either the main team they follow or the main non-Premier league team they follow.

Any idea of "true fans" is a purely subjective thing which people usually use in ways that ensure they meet the criteria and isn't that helpful.

A lot more than some people think,for instance my family and their families would all say they are City supporters,most of them do go from time to time(if we are doing well or not),so 6 of us go every week whilst others work or play sport,that still leaves about another,say 15 who would still class City as their team.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon 250, 000 upwards would identify City as either the main team they follow or the main non-Premier league team they follow.

That’s sounds ridiculously high mate, there’s only around 350,000 people in Bristol and a fair number of them would have absolutely no interest in football.

...and 6000 are Gas.

Edit: 450,000 people in Bristol apparently.

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That’s sounds ridiculously high mate, there’s only around 350,000 people in Bristol and a fair number of them would have absolutely no interest in football.

...and 6000 are Gas.

Edit: 450,000 people in Bristol apparently.

Over a million in the Bristol area, and that doesn't include places like Taunton and Bridgewater.

Archived