IGNORED

Webster

cidercity

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lees quotes re BA are interesting when asked

We were prepared to invest in quality additions but it became clear that they weren’t going to be available and the reference to events / food chain etc - waiting for dominos to move / fall etc etc

Suggested we had our eye on some ‘quality’ although no names obviously mentioned 

His alleged wages did bother me mate. If we're in for a £10M player though, it does bode well for the future, regardless of where we end up this season.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Crikey, that's some accolade but I can see it, ball playing centre half that doesn't seem to be found wanting in the physical stuff. Everything seems easy to the bloke, Collier was similar. Whatever, Webster is some player and Ashton , at Johnson's request (see, I praised LJ) did damn well to get him. 

And proof that,  if you get your scouting accurate , and are prepared to spend a few quid ..... you get ..........quality 

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

His alleged wages did bother me mate. If we're in for a £10M player though, it does bode well.

I’m not sure his response fitted BA unless Boro were trying to replace him and couldn’t get one in but his comments (BEP) are interesting

He May of course meant that if we’d accepted a big offer for one of ours we would have moved on a BA type

His comments about Webster and claiming to have said to MA let Flint go but only if we get Webster were I found interesting for several reasons

Purely conjecture listening to LJ in various subjects around this etc 

i can imagine LJ saying , if we sell Semenyo I want to use the money for (a) BA ..... which option and decision was or whose would be ,  we can only speculate or have an opinion on

As well as his overall excellence.

Specifically, Webster's so good on the ball, in addition to his overall play, getting better and better really. Can do the short passes, the crossfield balls, the longer range stuff, wandering upfield with it- technically speaking for a CB he's got it all. Stats can mean different things but FWIW, he had 86% passing accuracy today. Which for a CB at this level is really excellent.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m not sure his response fitted BA unless Boro were trying to replace him and couldn’t get one in but his comments (BEP) are interesting

He May of course meant that if we’d accepted a big offer for one of ours we would have moved on a BA type

Loaded comment fella? Any thoughts on who he was on about? 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As well as his overall excellence.

Specifically, Webster's so good on the ball, in addition to his overall play, getting better and better really. Can do the short passes, the crossfield balls, the longer range stuff- technically for a CB he's got it all. Stats can mean different things but FWIW, he had 86% passing accuracy today. Which for a CB at this level is really excellent.

He reads the game extremely well too Mr P. Maybe that's why it looks so easy for the fella? He always seems to have loads of time, a sign of class IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would love to hear what Gary Collier thinks of AW. I don't think the youngsters (actually, those under 50 now :(  ) realise just how good Collier was. Jesus, that guy was good, years ahead of his time! 

Mark Shail is the closest we’ve had since - would be worth a lot of money in current game

He reads threats extremely well too Mr P. Maybe that's why it looks so easy for the fella? He always seems to have loads of time, a sign of class IMO. 

Indeed he does Ska- only 24 too which means that he has 3-4 more years of growth before he hits what I'd consider peak CB age range. If he continues this rate of progression...wow.

Different Leagues I know. Fulham though, as well as re-signing Kalas- could have done worse than to look at Webster too- sure it would have made a better pair than their current CB options.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Mark Shail is the closest we’ve had since - would be worth a lot of money in current game

While he was good, he wasn't fit to lace Collier's boots IMO. GC could have gone all the way, as you know, he was that good, should have played for England. 

He reads threats extremely well too Mr P. Maybe that's why it looks so easy for the fella? He always seems to have loads of time, a sign of class IMO. 

And Kalas reads the game probably  even better !

Also bloody composed on the ball , if not at Webster’s admirable level

What a pair

While he was good, he wasn't fit to lace Collier's boots IMO. GC could have gone all the way, as you know, he was that good, should have played for England. 

No , not as good as Collier but the best footballing CH we’ve had since then (LA is a RB as far as I’m cincerned) 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not a clue Ska

The message was 

after quality

waiting on dominoes / didn’t fall for us this time / atm

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And Kalas reads the game probably  even better !

Also bloody composed on the ball , if not at Webster’s admirable level

What a pair

Have a like Bob. ?

I wonder would AW look as good without Kalas? Hell of a good CH pairing. 

Have a like Bob. ?

I wonder would AW look as good without Kalas? Hell of a good CH pairing. 

Webster looks top drawer , 

My personal view is that Kalas is a massive help in that , covering and manoeuvring- I think Kalas could probably make me Or you look ok alongside him - he’s that type - fantastic temperament too 

Thats not to take away from Webster - somebif his passing and forays forward a joy to watch

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Webster looks top drawer , 

My personal view is that Kalas is a massive help in that , covering and manoeuvring- I think Kalas could probably make me Or you look ok alongside him - he’s that type - fantastic temperament too 

Thats not to take away from Webster - somebif his passing and forays forward a joy to watch

Good god no! Bobby Moore and Der Keizer couldn't make me look like a footballer Bob! Egg chaser as a youngster and not a good footballer at all. 

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

His comments about Webster and claiming to have said to MA let Flint go but only if we get Webster were I found interesting for several reasons

Purely conjecture listening to LJ in various subjects around this etc 

i can imagine LJ saying , if we sell Semenyo I want to use the money for (a) BA ..... which option and decision was or whose would be ,  we can only speculate or have an opinion on

That comment made me take notice to be fair Bob. Maybe a very good insight to how the 'process' works? 

Apparently Cole Skuse gave LJ the inside line on Webster. No reason to doubt it as Cole's uncle told me that near the beginning of the season, when we happened to be chatting outside before the Sheff Utd game.

Great piece of work and once a red, always a red!

Good god no! Bobby Moore and Der Keizer couldn't make me look like a footballer Bob! Egg chaser as a youngster and not a good footballer at all. 

:laughcont:

That comment made me take notice to be fair Bob. Maybe a very good insight to how the 'process' works? 

If accurate , a suggestion that LJ holds plenty of power in decisions (As it should be IMHO) 

All joking aside . On the making me or you looked good 

I wasn’t a good player - no technique , but tackle a rhino type

Right back or centre half , end of

Long story but due to injuries ,  I ended up playing a game in a level way above mine ....... up front !

I played alongside a guy I knew , 32 years old , been there , done it , clever footballer , nice lad ..... and he literally talked me through that game almost second by second , and made me look at least only fairly crap

All joking aside - something I never forgot - just how good players and characters can significantly bring up levels around them 

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If accurate , a suggestion that LJ holds plenty of power in decisions (As it should be IMHO) 

All joking aside . On the making me or you looked good 

I wasn’t a good player - no technique , but tackle a rhino type

Right back or centre half , end of

Long story but due to injuries ,  I ended up playing a game in a level way above mine ....... up front !

I played alongside a guy I knew , 32 years old , been there , done it , clever footballer , nice lad ..... and he literally talked me through that game almost second by second , and made me look at least only fairly crap

All joking aside - something I never forgot - just how good players and characters can significantly bring up levels around them 

An example of how 'bad' a footballer I was Bob.

Unfortunately for me, years ago,my calf muscle became detached from wherever it was supposed to be joined to my lower calf playing rugby and I had to have quite a big op, for the time (early 80's). It meant a year out. My neighbour at the time ran a football team and offered me the chance to train with them. I ran the line and always turned up for training to build my legs back up, to get back playing. One day, they didn't have a sub so I stepped in. Eventually, I had to come on and I was so bad, they took me off again and played with 10. I was told 'you even run like a rugby player', I really was THAT bad! ?

For me Caulker, Shail, Hunter and Collier are my greats, but honestly I cannot describe what a joy to watch Webster. Usually I would say a winger, strker or attaching midfielder is worth the ticket price alone, but I would pay just to watch Webster. Everything he does is class and yes could play for England if he played for a fashionable club. Kalas is also class and our defence is one of the best i have seen. Abolutely loving Da Silva and Kelly, then Baker and Wright  are as good as most in the division and then 2 top quality keepers! What is going on? Its like defensive talent bomb has gone off in AG. If we had a really on the money striker, to go  with our decent midfield this team, we really would be in the automatic spots. Even so with as many clean sheets as we have a play off place is possible. What a change in 2 months!.

16 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

So comfortable with the ball at his feet, he was brilliant bringing the ball out from the back today.

I love it when he does his occasional runs from the back. Always wins us 30-40 yards of ground and delivers a cultured pass at the end. He's got a much better eye for that than most defenders.

The bloke is arguably this club's best asset. An inspired acquisition. 

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I love it when he does his occasional runs from the back. Always wins us 30-40 yards of ground and delivers a cultured pass at the end. He's got a much better eye for that than most defenders.

The bloke is arguably this club's best asset. An inspired acquisition. 

It's a joy to watch isn't it. Ayling could do similar but Webster has better defensive qualities. Only thing that could make it better would be if one of their runs could end in a Beckenbauer-esque thunderbolt into the top corner.

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would love to hear what Gary Collier thinks of AW. I don't think the youngsters (actually, those under 50 now :(  ) realise just how good Collier was. Jesus, that guy was good, years ahead of his time! 

Thats my one very small football moment of secondary fame.........when i briefly played in the same school team as Gary C.

29 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

For me Caulker, Shail, Hunter and Collier are my greats, but honestly I cannot describe what a joy to watch Webster. Usually I would say a winger, strker or attaching midfielder is worth the ticket price alone, but I would pay just to watch Webster. Everything he does is class and yes could play for England if he played for a fashionable club. Kalas is also class and our defence is one of the best i have seen. Abolutely loving Da Silva and Kelly, then Baker and Wright  are as good as most in the division and then 2 top quality keepers! What is going on? Its like defensive talent bomb has gone off in AG. If we had a really on the money striker, to go  with our decent midfield this team, we really would be in the automatic spots. Even so with as many clean sheets as we have a play off place is possible. What a change in 2 months!.

I am no happy clapper, and claimed earlier this season that he was tactically naive and not up to it............... humble pie time.. Cos' come on down Lee Johnson, your doin' an outstanding job.

Webster's reading of the game is first water. His speed of thought ensures he doesn't always have to look spectacular though when he needs to be he is.

His distribution, passing and ability to tie up the opposition's midfield when in possession stands him out as truly a 'good un'.

Reminds me of Collier.

12 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

@Cowshed said he should be signed to play with Flint last season. Kalas is Flint replacement!!  

I posted something along the lines that if Magnússon was not to play alongside Flint Webster could be a target/ provide what the other centre back pairings did not. He is not Flints replacement and defends differently. 

Archived