IGNORED

Webster

cidercity

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would love to hear what Gary Collier thinks of AW. I don't think the youngsters (actually, those under 50 now :(  ) realise just how good Collier was. Jesus, that guy was good, years ahead of his time! 

Collier was class and should we get to the Prem I believe Webster would excel, the only position we would need to think about is at RB. Sign Dasilva & Kalas and that’s the back four sorted. 

18 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

I watched a preseason game against one of the premier league teams (I think) and posted on here that I think he was easily premier league class and a lot of people disagreed and thought he was a lot worse than Flint

Now I don’t want a medal or anything for my judgement but... ok I want a medal

I signed Webster and Jay Da Silva (also signed one of his brothers) for us on FM15 (when it was new). Can I join in on the gloating?

14 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

There are a lot of Premiership central defenders that aren't that great. Quite a few of them play for Arsenal. And which other English central defenders can you name better than Webster with the exception of Stones & Maguire? Gomez maybe, but other than that who else? Mee? Tarkowski? Tomkins? Ake?? It's pretty slim pickings tbh.

Ake is Dutch as @BS4 on Tour... corrected me on a while back.  Had assumed he was English and touting him for a call-up.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d buy Kalas !

Massive massive fan and admirer of Flint and had him in my all time City top six centre halves

Fair play - both Webster and Kalas would squeeze him out 

Assuming we could get Kalas and keep Webster, I would equally be trying to keep Kelly is we are to progress as a club.  Kelly is going to be a fine CB, a CB that can defend, is calm, and can play (albeit not to the extent of Webster), and I’d like that to be with us.  He may have lost his place at LB to JDS at the mo’, but there will be plenty of minutes to keep him motivated.  He might need to be a bit patient.  If the above can happen, I would be tempted to move Baker on in the summer and then find out if Pring is the next on the conveyor belt at LB, meaning we have cover at LB and LCB too.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I love it when he does his occasional runs from the back. Always wins us 30-40 yards of ground and delivers a cultured pass at the end. He's got a much better eye for that than most defenders.

The bloke is arguably this club's best asset. An inspired acquisition. 

His passing is really, really good...at pace, crisp, so as not to invite an interception.

One other thing, has anyone noticed how our CBs now pass to each other or just in front of each other to keep momentum.  One of my biggest bugbears is passing it two yards behind and losing momentum.

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lees quotes re BA are interesting when asked

We were prepared to invest in quality additions but it became clear that they weren’t going to be available and the reference to events / food chain etc - waiting for dominos to move / fall etc etc

Suggested we had our eye on some ‘quality’ although no names obviously mentioned 

Wonder if a deal can be done with Semenyo being a quality up coming talent with lots of potential being the bargaining chip for Kalas, a seasoned pro who can help with a solid defence for the next few seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ake is Dutch as @BS4 on Tour... corrected me on a while back.  Had assumed he was Dnglish and touting him for a call-up.

Assuming we could get Kalas and keep Webster, I would equally be trying to keep Kelly is we are to progress as a club.  Kelly is going to be a fine CB, a CB that can defend, is calm, and can play (albeit not to the extent of Webster), and I’d like that to be with us.  He may have lost his place at LB to JDS at the mo’, but there will be plenty of minutes to keep him motivated.  He might need to be a bit patient.  If the above can happen, I would be tempted to move Baker on in the summer and then find out if Pring is the next on the conveyor belt at LB, meaning we have cover at LB and LCB too.

His passing is really, really good...at pace, crisp, so as not to invite an interception.

One other thing, has anyone noticed how our CBs now pass to each other or just in front of each other to keep momentum.  One of my biggest bugbears is passing it two yards behind and losing momentum.

This Kalas on 4-5 year deal would be amazing for us. Webster will sold at some point in the next couple of seasons (unless we hit the PL) - Having Kalas help with the development of our CBs (Kelly for example) would be a huge boost. The thing we have currently with Chelsea Tammy / Dasilva / Kalas / Palmer is working really well for us I hope it continues as it's a great way to sure up the squad without the risk of signing a dud on a lengthy contract.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There lies the difficulty...

Would you try and keep,JDS too ?

Leaves Kelly short of games and development 

Depending on LKs attitude as to how long he’s happy here.....do we keep JDS.....thank Kalas but don’t buy and go with AW/LK or BW As CHs....

Maybe AW will be the one to go.....

I think ...who’s the most likeliest to still be here in 2/3 years is maybe the first q....

I can see us losing LK or AW if we sign Kalas

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There lies the difficulty...

Would you try and keep,JDS too ?

Leaves Kelly short of games and development 

Depending on LKs attitude as to how long he’s happy here.....do we keep JDS.....thank Kalas but don’t buy and go with AW/LK or BW As CHs....

Maybe AW will be the one to go.....

I think ...who’s the most likeliest to still be here in 2/3 years is maybe the first q....

I can see us losing LK or AW if we sign Kalas

Let’s just assume we fail to get promoted (if we do, we start fishing in different lakes and ponds), but are gonna have a real tilt next season....then, yes, I try to buy both TK and JDS.

LJ’s man-management has to show Kelly that he showed faith in giving him a early big chance this season by selling Bryan and Magnússon and that his development is unlikely to be linear, and there will be times of plateau, followed by surges.  Pre-season I thought 20-25 games would be a good “first season”, but we’d need games from others.  As it stands he’s played 26 games (23 starts), so well ahead of expectation, with at least 18 more games ahead of him to add to those 26.  LJ should also reassure him that he got into England u21 squad (albeit through injuries) whilst being at little old Bristol City, and that will continue.

Top quality footballer who could probably perform anywhere in central midfield and back four. I even wonder how he'd do in goal.

Seriously, I note that Guardiola has used Stones on a couple of occasions as the defensive midfield. How about us getting Kalas and Dasilva on a permanent transfer, keeping Kelly and playing this defence and central midfield?

Maenpaa

Vyner or Moore, Kalas, Kelly, Dasilva

Brownhill, Webster

Interesting!

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a joy to watch isn't it. Ayling could do similar but Webster has better defensive qualities. Only thing that could make it better would be if one of their runs could end in a Beckenbauer-esque thunderbolt into the top corner.

I think he did exactly that in pre-season against Cheltenham ?

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Top quality footballer who could probably perform anywhere in central midfield and back four. I even wonder how he'd do in goal.

Seriously, I note that Guardiola has used Stones on a couple of occasions as the defensive midfield. How about us getting Kalas and Dasilva on a permanent transfer, keeping Kelly and playing this defence and central midfield?

Maenpaa

Vyner or Moore, Kalas, Kelly, Dasilva

Brownhill, Webster

Interesting!

I think someone else asked this in the week.

Of course it’s possible, he’s a talented player, but some players like the game to be in front of them.  Playing in midfield you need to be able to play 360 degrees.

Not going to start a thread about it but as I was having a last cig before going in Nathan Baker parked near me and Was with what looked like a group of family or friends 

As he walked across the car park he was immediately stopped or spoken to by a Dad and his boys and I watched as he spent some time chatting to them and having photos etc before rejoining his own family/ friends

I know it does happen a lot , and it should do , but as a quiet bystander , it was really nice to see

Well done Nathan Baker

Archived