IGNORED

The so called "promised land"

WolfOfWestStreet

For me the pinnacle of being a City fan would be travelling to various places to watch us in a European Cup Competition.

Would love everything about it, hell even the excitement of booking flights/hotels etc with the same great bunch you see on a Saturday.

Yes it’s a pipe dream for now, but then again there’s always the chance, but without the Premier League there’s no chance.

(Unless of course we win the Cup ?)

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No Division is ‘ fair ‘ .

We were a big club in the third and fourth divisions, way richer than most other clubs and bought the best players for those divisions. Did it stop us getting tonked by those smaller clubs ? 

Some of those smaller clubs have by passed us and been in  the Prem ,to this day  Bournemouth, for example. 

Add Wigan, Reading, Swindon ...

LJ could become our «  Eddie Howe «  we may be much better run than certain clubs who have been damaged by their flirtation with the top flight.

Chill and enjoy the ride would be my advice.

This. We only feel the Championship is fair because it fits where BCFC is as a medium sized club in a big city.

I imagine Yeovil fans feel about the Championship much as WWS feels about the PL. They got there once, but being a small club from a small town with little money, they couldn’t hope to compete. The same for Burton, trying to compete with Derby.

Bristol City, with its large population and wealthy owner is actually well placed to compete eventually with the likes of Leicester City, if not with the top six mega clubs.

12 hours ago, swanker said:

Can remember a Reading fans say  about their time in the prem. “ it’s not a lot of fun watching your team get beat every week” 

If we ever get there I could imagine it not a happy experience. 

Better than saying the same thing in the Championship though.

I totally understand and empathise with every anti-Premier League comment on this thread. It’s a worthy debate and promotion wouldn’t be without its pitfalls and challenges.

What it would create, however, is memories.

A spot on Match of the Day. Trips to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates. Welcoming all the big teams to town. Even beating a couple of them. Showing our club, as we did so wonderfully during last year’s cup run, in a great light on the national stage. Being the envy of other fans because we’ve done it the right way, with a local owner who supports the club and a young English manager who we’ve backed through the tough times. The feeling on the opening day of the season. The feeling when we win a Premier League game. The chance to see top-level football and, at least at times, be the team playing it.

I love the Championship, but as a Bristol City fan how can you not want a taste of the Premier League? 

Sure, we’ll lose plenty. We’ll get hammered on our own patch. We might even come straight back down. We’ll have to listen to Martin Keown bleating on about our lack of a goalscorer. Tickets won’t be cheap and kick-off times will be all over the shop. We’ll probably spent £15m on a striker out of the Dutch league who nobody has heard of and turns out to be useless.

But it’ll be fun. It’ll be an experience. It’ll create memories... because whatever happens, who remembers that 2-0 win over 10-man Bolton on a Tuesday night anyway?

It is a tricky one for sure. I was there the first time round and it was amazing, great and passionate crowds, seeing world class players at AG, winning a few good ones (I will never forget Liverpool at home as long as I have breath) and we were , for most of the time, competitive. Ultimately it went wrong of course, for reasons we all know about, but I do believe we wouldn`t make a lot of the mistakes many promoted clubs do now. If we could go up and be a Baggies, a Boro or a Burnley that would suit me fine but to end up like Blackpool or Pompey, no thanks.

To sum up, I think I`d like to try it for a year or two now and again which would set the club up financially for generations to come but ultimately would prefer to be playing in a league where we have a genuine chance of winning the thing.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I totally understand and empathise with every anti-Premier League comment on this thread. It’s a worthy debate and promotion wouldn’t be without its pitfalls and challenges.

A spot on Match of the Day. Trips to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates. Welcoming all the big teams to town. Even beating a couple of them. Showing our club, as we did so wonderfully during last year’s cup run, in a great light on the national stage. Being the envy of other fans because we’ve done it the right way, with a local owner who supports the club and a young English manager who we’ve backed through the tough times. The feeling on the opening day of the season. The feeling when we win a Premier League game. The chance to see top-level football and, at least at times, be the team playing it.

I love the Championship, but as a Bristol City fan how can you not want a taste of the Premier League? 

Sure, we’ll lose plenty. We’ll get hammered on our own patch. We might even come straight back down. We’ll have to listen to Martin Keown bleating on about our lack of a goalscorer. Tickets won’t be cheap and kick-off times will be all over the shop. We’ll probably spent £15m on a striker out of the Dutch league who nobody has heard of and turns out to be useless.

But it’ll be fun. It’ll be an experience. It’ll create memories... because whatever happens, who remembers that 2-0 win over 10-man Bolton on a Tuesday night anyway?

Agree 1000%

It should also be remembered , many won’t get to see it 

If you’re not an existing s/T holder - good luck in the scramble for any becoming available

And if you don’t get a S/T good luck in the fight for a few thousand available for each game

Ohhh.....and the away ticket allocation in the Premier League is crap

You will get to see us in the tele a lot though , and at lots of strange times 

Just a Thought 

16 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

4 fewer home games.

Fewer Saturday games. 

Higher prices. 

Prima Donnas.

Olympic standard diving. 

Here today, gone tomorrow fans. 

When we were in the fourth Div one could have said the same (excluding less games) those pesky 14000 here today, gone tomorrow fans we’ve got now! Some have even had the audacity to have gotton themselves born for Christ’s sake!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It is a tricky one for sure. I was there the first time round and it was amazing, great and passionate crowds, seeing world class players at AG, winning a few good ones (I will never forget Liverpool at home as long as I have breath) and we were , for most of the time, competitive. Ultimately it went wrong of course, for reasons we all know about, but I do believe we wouldn`t make a lot of the mistakes many promoted clubs do now. If we could go up and be a Baggies, a Boro or a Burnley that would suit me fine but to end up like Blackpool or Pompey, no thanks.

To sum up, I think I`d like to try it for a year or two now and again which would set the club up financially for generations to come but ultimately would prefer to be playing in a league where we have a genuine chance of winning the thing.

And, as I mentioned in my post above, you’ve hit the nail on the end by saying “I’ll never forget...”

That is exactly what being a football fan is all about - games you’ll never forget!

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Would be interesting to see how we would go about our summer recruitment.

From listening to LJ yesterday I think he gets that he is a better off having a younger squad, and I hope we continue to way we are.  Don’t get me wrong, the odd experienced player, the odd foreigner, but stick to what we’ve improved at.

If you think there’s a good chance of coming back down, then don’t burden ourselves with long contract mercaneries, like Sunderland (for example) were burdened with.

We got good value out of the likes of Hunter and Royle in the old Div 1 days, but the world has changed.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would be interesting to see how we would go about our summer recruitment.

From listening to LJ yesterday I think he gets that he is a better off having a younger squad, and I hope we continue to way we are.  Don’t get me wrong, the odd experienced player, the odd foreigner, but stick to what we’ve improved at.

If you think there’s a good chance of coming back down, then don’t burden ourselves with long contract mercaneries, like Sunderland (for example) were burdened with.

We got good value out of the likes of Hunter and Royle in the old Div 1 days, but the world has changed.

We should start picking off the best young Championship players as an investment if we went up. If we were relegated then they still have value. A few top loans and the odd experienced prem player as well as developing are own. Keep the core who got you promoted and continue the team spirit 

4 minutes ago, INCRED said:

We should start picking off the best young Championship players as an investment if we went up. If we were relegated then they still have value. A few top loans and the odd experienced prem player as well as developing are own. Keep the core who got you promoted and continue the team spirit 

Think we may need to sign a goalscorer 

Poor Ole Famara wouldn’t get a kick in Prem 

The lad Abraham on loan at Villa would be a good one ......

My impression in the past has been that the City fans are at their best when we are considered the underdogs in games, therefore I would explain expect the atmosphere at home game to be really good, especially in the first season. I would also expect the clubs finances to be handled carefully, they have already worked hard to reduce costs, so I would hope to see some increases in overheads but profits still to be made.

I do enjoy the Championship, but for the overall good of the club, we have to get as high as we can up the ladder.

I remember when we went up to Div 1 it was brilliant going to all the top grounds I'd never seen City play at before. Despite us losing a lot of the time I never wished we were back in Div 2. When we did win it meant a lot and some of the games in those years were the best I've ever seen for City in the League. I don't see why we can't replicate what Bournemouth have done provided we manage the finances properly (not like last time).

18 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Possibly controversial, but do any city fans think getting to the prem would be a bad thing?

I'm thinking this watching match of the day, Chelsea V Huddersfield. Pundits getting a hard on over billion pound Chelsea beating their peasant opposition. It's like watching u18s play u12s, ...... guess who wins?  

The premier league is completely unfair, the haves and have nots. Why would we want to be apart of that? How boring would it be to be part of a league you could never win?

I actually hope we stay where we are, at least it's competitive to an extent. 

The prem is not the "promised land" but training ground for the the club's owned by countries, to take the piss out of clubs steeped in heritage. Not interested, no dignity in that.

The main issue we have have now is mid table clubs like Everton, West Ham even Bournemouth are spending 75/150 or 200 million assembling squads. You can expect that from the top 6 but now it’s filtering down. Even Fulham just spent £100 million thinking it would guarantee mid table but look and see.  I dread to think what the aforementioned clubs wage bills are also? 

Even swansea was 85 million last year, I imagine West Ham and Everton are double that.  Ours is still by far the lowest in the prem, you really have to keep one eye on going back down, where a huge wage bill is unsustainable.  It’s definately getting harder to compete with them.

Like some on here I also experienced us playing in the top division and was 10 at the time. It was a great time to be a supporter and seeing the top clubs and players and I probably didn’t appreciate it as much as I perhaps should have. 40+ years later I would love us to be back there once again and before I am too old or 6ft under.

The stature of the club is elevated, it puts Bristol on the sporting map as well as bringing significant revenue to the businesses of Bristol. It also winds the blue few up even more 

Yes, we may lose more than we win but what we gain in experience, finance and continued development will put the club on a firm base for years to come

11 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

The main issue we have have now is mid table clubs like Everton, West Ham even Bournemouth are spending 75/150 or 200 million assembling squads. You can expect that from the top 6 but now it’s filtering down. Even Fulham just spent £100 million thinking it would guarantee mid table but look and see.  I dread to think what the aforementioned clubs wage bills are also? 

Even swansea was 85 million last year, I imagine West Ham and Everton are double that.  Ours is still by far the lowest in the prem, you really have to keep one eye on going back down, where a huge wage bill is unsustainable.  It’s definately getting harder to compete with them.

A which is why the Academy becomes even more vital. I believe I am right in saying that Prem status would aid us to get to Cat1 and the money could be invested and not indoor facilities to aid that. Cat1 would allow us to pick up most of the local talent without fear of one of the other Academies picking the best of them for next to nothing.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think we may need to sign a goalscorer 

Poor Ole Famara wouldn’t get a kick in Prem 

The lad Abraham on loan at Villa would be a good one ......

If we somehow won promotion this year I would suggest we buy Da Silva and Palmer, keep Kalas on loan and strengthen attack with Maupay and Watkins from Brentford.

20 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Possibly controversial, but do any city fans think getting to the prem would be a bad thing?

I'm thinking this watching match of the day, Chelsea V Huddersfield. Pundits getting a hard on over billion pound Chelsea beating their peasant opposition. It's like watching u18s play u12s, ...... guess who wins?  

The premier league is completely unfair, the haves and have nots. Why would we want to be apart of that? How boring would it be to be part of a league you could never win?

I actually hope we stay where we are, at least it's competitive to an extent. 

The prem is not the "promised land" but training ground for the the club's owned by countries, to take the piss out of clubs steeped in heritage. Not interested, no dignity in that.

Think we've comfortably shown we can complete haven't we?? and I for 1 certainly want to see us there.... I'm sure we can all start to see the foundations are being put in place for this to happen hopefully sooner rather than later. If the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, can do it so can we. Yes will get undone on a few games like any team does but that's part of the ride so I'll happy embrace it.

As it says at Tottenham, the game is about glory, and there can be few more glorious moments or seasons for a club such as us than a promotion from the second tier to the top level.

It's what the people that went before us to Ashton Gate in the early 1900s would want us to be doing, and enjoying: putting Bristol on the football map.

Those ***** in Horfield are never going to do that, are they?  

We haven’t been in the top flight for over 30 years now. We need to get that monkey off our back so to speak. Whether i want to be a yo-yo club between the champ and the prem is a different matter but we have to get there, its been far too long of a wait.

Archived