IGNORED

The so called "promised land"

WolfOfWestStreet

Possibly controversial, but do any city fans think getting to the prem would be a bad thing?

I'm thinking this watching match of the day, Chelsea V Huddersfield. Pundits getting a hard on over billion pound Chelsea beating their peasant opposition. It's like watching u18s play u12s, ...... guess who wins?  

The premier league is completely unfair, the haves and have nots. Why would we want to be apart of that? How boring would it be to be part of a league you could never win?

I actually hope we stay where we are, at least it's competitive to an extent. 

The prem is not the "promised land" but training ground for the the club's owned by countries, to take the piss out of clubs steeped in heritage. Not interested, no dignity in that.

Got to dream a little.

I suspect the journey is much more exciting than the destination in truth, but for every team like Huddersfield there is another like Brighton who seem to give it a good go for a few years.

I don't begrudge the youngsters a chance to say in 40 years time to the kids around them, when we are away in the second round of the Auto Windscreens Cup, 'let me bore you again with my stories about when we were last in the Premier League in 2021...

I loathe the premiership, it's come to stand for everything I hate about the game. I don't think I've watched a full match this season, and seeing a minute of the forced razzmatazz and sky fireworks makes me want to reach for a pistol. At the risk of offending some of the gentler posters on here, I've loved reading about today's shenanigans, it really reminded me of everything that gave me a buzz in my youth. But there's no room for that in the Prem, it's all about the family-first, supermax experience glossily packaged for a foreign audience. It's not the football that I love, it's a soulless product empty of any emotive warmth. 

But do I want us to do badly? No I don't. Of course I want to see us promoted, and I'm certain my celebration would go down in international legend. But there's definitely a conflict of interest given the above. 

Thing is, when I signed up to be a City fan for life, I was under no illusion that we would ever be any good, that we'd ever win anything, that we'd ever compete with the best. I signed up knowing we're a s**t club, with great fans that's a good laugh to follow and at times tragic to watch. Anything else I've seen as a bonus. I love supporting this club, no matter how many times it's tested my patience, and I don't really give a monkeys where we are in the league. 

I think the point i'm trying to make, I'm happy with the club I've got and I wouldn't want us to change to accommodate Sky's / the modern punters expectations of how a club should be. 

But maybe I'm a dinosaur ? 

3 minutes ago, swanker said:

Can remember a Reading fans say  about their time in the prem. “ it’s not a lot of fun watching your team get beat every week” 

If we ever get there I could imagine it not a happy experience. 

He is now saying exactly the same thing about watching his team in the Championship...

5 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I loathe the premiership, it's come to stand for everything I hate about the game. I don't think I've watched a full match this season, and seeing a minute of the forced razzmatazz and sky fireworks makes me want to reach for a pistol. At the risk of offending some of the gentler posters on here, I've loved reading about today's shenanigans, it really reminded me of everything that gave me a buzz in my youth. But there's no room for that in the Prem, it's all about the family-first, supermax experience glossily packaged for a foreign audience. It's not the football that I love, it's a soulless product empty of any emotive warmth. 

But do I want us to do badly? No I don't. Of course I want to see us promoted, and I'm certain my celebration would go down in international legend. But there's definitely a conflict of interest given the above. 

Thing is, when I signed up to be a City fan for life, I was under no illusion that we would ever be any good, that we'd ever win anything, that we'd ever compete with the best. I signed up knowing we're a s**t club, with great fans that's a good laugh to follow and at times tragic to watch. Anything else I've seen as a bonus. I love supporting this club, no matter how many times it's tested my patience, and I don't really give a monkeys where we are in the league. 

I think the point i'm trying to make, I'm happy with the club I've got and I wouldn't want us to change to accommodate Sky's / the modern punters expectations of how a club should be. 

But maybe I'm a dinosaur ? 

******* great post. 

Try telling the players you have and the ones you would like that they would be joining a club that would have no interest in getting promoted because they would have no chance of winning the league. Whilst I and countless others enjoy the championship I am lucky enough to have seen us play in the old first division and believe me the buzz of playing the biggest teams in the country at AG was brilliant. We never had a chance of winning the league then either but the memories are priceless.Would I want the chance to see that again..............not bloody half I would.

I can understand how the novelty might wear off and why fans of Norwich, Reading, Hull etc. might feel that way, but having never been there...we've got to experience it once. If only to say that we have.

Plus I'd be like a 6 year old on Xmas Eve before the first MOTD.

Yeah we all hate the Premier League, blah blah blah, unfortunately it's the top level inn the country we're in and of we ever want to be a part of that well have to join the party.

We moan at mediocrity, we moan at shit results and now we moan of we do well enough to take a big step forwards? Come on. 

Yes money makes the Premier League go round but you're approaching it as if we're bound to never do anything good up there and Blackpool it the **** up. Sports are about competition and trying to consistently better yourselves, if we're not trying to do that and would rather just settle then there's no point existing.

I wouldn’t mind doing a Burnley. Up, then down before getting back up gain. 

Dyche said in a recent interview that getting relegated was a blessing in disguise as when they bounced straight back up they knew exactly what to expect second time around. They were better prepared and now have become an established PL team helped by that experience.

He said that he, the players and the entire club had matured through the experience of relegation. He’s an interesting and impressive guy is Sean Dyche

7 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Try telling the players you have and the ones you would like that they would be joining a club that would have no interest in getting promoted because they would have no chance of winning the league. Whilst I and countless others enjoy the championship I am lucky enough to have seen us play in the old first division and believe me the buzz of playing the biggest teams in the country at AG was brilliant. We never had a chance of winning the league then either but the memories are priceless.Would I want the chance to see that again..............not bloody half I would.

Yes mate i recognise your points but when you watched city in the old first division, which would be at least 25+years ago, the top league wasn't as unfair as it is today. 

You have teams with billion pound squads V teams with 50m squads.

This is not sport, it's like fox hunting. Let's kill the weaker creature with all our power. Bull shit.

2 minutes ago, TBW said:

Yeah we all hate the Premier League, blah blah blah, unfortunately it's the top level inn the country we're in and of we ever want to be a part of that well have to join the party.

We moan at mediocrity, we moan at shit results and now we moan of we do well enough to take a big step forwards? Come on. 

Yes money makes the Premier League go round but you're approaching it as if we're bound to never do anything good up there and Blackpool it the **** up. Sports are about competition and trying to consistently better yourselves, if we're not trying to do that and would rather just settle then there's no point existing.

this is it exactly, how the hell can people say they are happy to stagnate beats me, of course we want to be the best we can be at least I do and I suspect we are not alone.

5 minutes ago, TBW said:

Sport is about competition. I totally agree.

I don't believe the premier league is a competition.

Phil Thompson, Paul Merson, Jamie and co would get to talk about us and mostly with contempt (and about what we are doing oh so wrong) big deal.

Prem is not the be all and end all for me , by any stretch.

Loving the Championship. the BEST league for proper football, proper fans, proper clubs

We have a big enough club and city to grow into a mid table Prem side eventually. We have an owner who is willing to subsidise the club - possibly to a greater level once PL income becomes more important than FFP.

Inevitably we would probably struggle initially. You have to hope we would do a Bournemouth rather than a Fulham. Who knows. 

The main worry is that the promotion team so often seems to get dismantled in the hope of buying in PL quality, and then the relegated team needs dismantling as the big money players want away again. Where will Mitrovic be next season?

A lot of courage and good management is needed to survive the process, that’s for sure.

57 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Possibly controversial, but do any city fans think getting to the prem would be a bad thing?

I'm thinking this watching match of the day, Chelsea V Huddersfield. Pundits getting a hard on over billion pound Chelsea beating their peasant opposition. It's like watching u18s play u12s, ...... guess who wins?  

The premier league is completely unfair, the haves and have nots. Why would we want to be apart of that? How boring would it be to be part of a league you could never win?

The prem is not the "promised land" but training ground for the the club's owned by countries, to take the piss out of clubs steeped in heritage. Not interested, no dignity in that.

So essentially, you are saying that you want us to start losing games?

19 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

So essentially, you are saying that you want us to start losing games?

I would suggest you've essentially misunderstood the spirit of the post. 

There is a very valid cause for concern that we would lose 'our club' if we became a premiership mainstay. The premiership is hardly known for fostering the raw side to football that many of us love. If anything, it strips away identity and tradition and nurtures sameness and uniformity. Without answering for Wolf, and without wishing to intellectualize too much, i'd maybe treat this more as a moral debate rather than jumping to the assumption that he and those of his thinking want the club to do badly! 

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Good post Wolf , and a brave one

I think unless we perfectly executed a carefully prepared plan we’d get mauled atm and there’s no enjoyment in that 

I hate the circus around the Premier League and have no personal desire to rush there 

Getting there , or trying ,  is the real fun

Archived