IGNORED

How Many To Blackburn?

Cardy

9 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

That's your prerogative. I personally envy clubs like Leeds, what it was like up at Man City for us which was one of the best nights of my life I'd say it's like them for quite often. That's the dream.

The difference between us and leeds is that Leeds, as a much bigger club, have thousands of fans all across the country and so it's much easier for them to attend away games. 

We don't have that luxury and so it's more of a struggle for our fans to take a whole Saturday off to travel across England to see us play

27 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

You're really not getting it and you're taking it far to literally.

Other clubs of a similar size would be taking more for this game, are you really suggesting that either 1) as a fanbase collectively we're "worse off" or have less disposable income or 2) we have more fans on average with kids and a mortgage? It's total nonsense.

Ignoring individual / personal reasons, the stats show we have the 5th furthest distances to travel and we take the 13th most away fans.  That ain’t too bad in reality is it?

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The difference between us and leeds is that Leeds, as a much bigger club, have thousands of fans all across the country and so it's much easier for them to attend away games. 

We don't have that luxury and so it's more of a struggle for our fans to take a whole Saturday off to travel across England to see us play

Christ... you don't need to point out the differences between Leeds Utd and Bristol City to me, I'm well aware of them hence why I said it would be the dream rather than the reality. Sheffield Wednesday would be a club more comparable to envy, proper away support and don't have a massive nationwide fanbase like dirty Leeds.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Ignoring individual / personal reasons, the stats show we have the 5th furthest distances to travel and we take the 13th most away fans.  That ain’t too bad in reality is it?

No, because we travel to games south of Brum very well. It's just a shame we don't travel north of that, especially given some of the days in yorkshire are the best days in the footballing calendar for us imo.

2 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

No, because we travel to games south of Brum very well. It's just a shame we don't travel north of that, especially given some of the days in yorkshire are the best days in the footballing calendar for us imo.

I suspect the casual away supporter like me who might do one or two away days a season, probably look no further than Birmingham / Villa north and Reading east.

Leeds have had genertations of success. 70s, 1991 league title and to a certain extent the 00s. So many young kids have grown up supporting Leeds, passed that on to their kids and so on and so on. As a result of this Leeds have fans all around the country. Every club has that hardcore base of 2-300 who will goto every single game. You then have the next level down who because of family, work etc etc can’t do them all so pick and choose games. I’d say we have 700-900 of them who will goto a high number of away but not all. Whereas a team like Leeds 1-1,500 who goto most then many many more who will goto aways when they play where/near they live.

3 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Christ... you don't need to point out the differences between Leeds Utd and Bristol City to me, I'm well aware of them hence why I said it would be the dream rather than the reality. Sheffield Wednesday would be a club more comparable to envy, proper away support and don't have a massive nationwide fanbase like dirty Leeds.

Sheffield Wednesday are in a very similar position to Leeds, big club with lots of supporters across the country, not comparable to us in the slightest. 

When you consider our lack of Premier league football, our position in the country, our home attendances (and the age demographic of those) our away support is good, and I'm sure it will be on Saturday 

We do alright away attendence wise imo. Not spectacular by any stretch but alright. 

We always sit comfortably in the middle of attendence tables and this is despite the fact we have to travel further than most over the season.

It's easier to sell more tickets for a game that is far in distance when it's in isolation once a season - but we have to do it for over half the divison.

We have 10 games up north which could cost upwards of £100 on match ticket and travel alone - not everyone can justify £1k on away days per season and thats just for one person. Imagine you were a couple or took your family. 

Having bolton and Wigan on friday nights will have hit our numbers. Likewise reading reducing allocation. 

Add to this our distinct lack of history trophy and top flight wise - look at the divison... 19 of them have played in the Prem and most have at least one trophy. 

As i say we do alright. 

2 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

We do alright away attendence wise imo. Not spectacular by any stretch but alright. 

We always sit comfortably in the middle of attendence tables and this is despite the fact we have to travel further than most over the season.

It's easier to sell more tickets for a game that is far in distance when it's in isolation once a season - but we have to do it for over half the divison.

We have 10 games up north which could cost upwards of £100 on match ticket and travel alone - not everyone can justify £1k on away days per season and thats just for one person. Imagine you were a couple or took your family. 

Having bolton and Wigan on friday nights will have hit our numbers. Likewise reading reducing allocation. 

Add to this our distinct lack of history trophy and top flight wise - look at the divison... 19 of them have played in the Prem and most have at least one trophy

As i say we do alright. 

But nobody else has 3 JPT's to their name :fear:

The same dead debates about away attendances i see.

To be honest for all the doughnuts on here crying because we aren’t taking 7k to Blackburn...We have won **** all in our history, we have NEVER played in the Prem. People comparing us to a Sheffield Wednesday are just ignorant to many things namely what Wednesday have achieved in the last 30 years, a **** load more than us. People also forget that many in these northen Cities have very little else other than football and it is dirt cheap to live..

I could sell my flat in this City and buy a 4 bed semi in Sheffield with a load of change left over.. unfortunately this is an expensive City to live, one of the most expensive outside of the capital, it plays a big part.. I do often wonder if the people moaning have there own mortgage or still live in there mums spare bedroom saving all there pocket money for away days?

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

To be honest for all the doughnuts on here crying because we aren’t taking 7k to Blackburn...We have won **** all in our history, we have NEVER played in the Prem. People comparing us to a Sheffield Wednesday are just ignorant to many things namely what Wednesday have achieved in the last 30 years, a **** load more than us. People also forget that many in these northen Cities have very little else other than football and it is dirt cheap to live..

I could sell my flat in this City and buy a 4 bed semi in Sheffield with a load of change left over.. unfortunately this is an expensive City to live, one of the most expensive outside of the capital, it plays a big part.. I do often wonder if the people moaning have there own mortgage or still live in there mums spare bedroom saving all there pocket money for away days?

Your not going then.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

This is a pathetic comparison,  our first major semi final in 20 years or a league game. Btw , a League game with no direct trains on the Saturday, and if you go via Preston will set you back about £100. 

It’s like saying we took 42000 to a Wembley final but didn’t sell out at home against Swansea.

Every club in the League see higher crowds and more interest for those games that come along once in a blue moon, especially against one of the best teams in Europe at a ground we’ve never played at before.

Every club.

19 minutes ago, bris red said:

What've Wednesday done in the last 30 years other than win a league cup when they were in the same division we're in now? They're a much bigger club than us but the points I was making is that Wednesday don't have a massive nationwide fanbase like Leeds and the top clubs do in this country, which they do not.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think our location has a bearing, Same for some other outliers.

6FA90BE1-596C-4BEC-9D15-411097A9B2DD.thumb.jpeg.5fc60f1065939705361912d43ec549a7.jpeg

According to this article we are 13th best away support

https://talksport.com/football/efl/420975/every-championship-club-average-away-support/

And we have the 5th furthest to travel

https://fanbanter.co.uk/how-far-fans-of-every-championship-club-must-travel-least-to-most-distance-travelled/

have no local Derby to boost our numbers either.

I think we do pretty well in retrospect!

Our location has a huge bearing on our away support. The traditionally ‘big’ clubs in this division who regularly take large numbers away seem to be based in the Midlands or South Yorkshire. There’s no point comparing us to them, they have bigger home support and any away trip to Sheffield for Birmingham is like us going to Reading. For us a trip to Sheffield is much further. 

The big clubs in this division all seem to benefit not only from Historical achievement and Geographical location but also either a higher population or the luxury of being the only club in a City (a huge City in Leeds case).

Theres no point getting upset when we don’t match the support of these clubs. For a medium sized club who’ve won nothing, had a couple of seasons in the top flight and don’t have 1000s of exiles spread across the country (thanks to past success) we do fine.

20k+ average at home

1k+ average away 

Our support isn’t as bad as many people are desperate to make out.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Anyway, to repeat, does anyone want travel to Blackburn for a TENNER*? I will pick up and drop off anywhere in the Bristol area. This offer especially open to those who disagree with my opinions.

*Based on 4 passengers..

I disagree with your previous comments on people not going, but that is a great offer. 

Sadly, whilst cost is a factor to consider, it’s not what’s stopping me going to Blackburn. 

I can’t expect my 4 year old to travel that sort of distance and I cant get childcare for the length of time needed for a Northern away day. 

Gutted to be missing any game at the moment, but other priorities have to come first. 

I hope you get a car full and have a great day! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I disagree with your previous comments on people not going, but that is a great offer. 

Sadly, whilst cost is a factor to consider, it’s not what’s stopping me going to Blackburn.  

I can’t expect my 4 year old to travel that sort of distance and I cant get childcare for the length of time needed for a Northern away day. 

Gutted to be missing any game at the moment, but other priorities have to come first. 

I hope you get a car full and have a great day! 

Thanks Rob, looks like me on my tod at the moment!

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Bizarre that people are having to justify why they can't go to a football match!

I don’t feel the need to justify it. Just saying that I’d be taking up his offer if I could, but I can’t. 

I hope others do. 

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Our location has a huge bearing on our away support. The traditionally ‘big’ clubs in this division who regularly take large numbers away seem to be based in the Midlands or South Yorkshire. There’s no point comparing us to them, they have bigger home support and any away trip to Sheffield for Birmingham is like us going to Reading. For us a trip to Sheffield is much further. 

The big clubs in this division all seem to benefit not only from Historical achievement and Geographical location but also either a higher population or the luxury of being the only club in a City (a huge City in Leeds case).

Theres no point getting upset when we don’t match the support of these clubs. For a medium sized club who’ve won nothing, had a couple of seasons in the top flight and don’t have 1000s of exiles spread across the country (thanks to past success) we do fine.

20k+ average at home

1k+ average away 

Our support isn’t as bad as many people are desperate to make out.

Sums it up for me. Good post.

Also @BessexRED Wednesday have had sustained periods in the top flight over the last 30 years it massively helps your fanbase.

We're just not that into 1. Football, and 2. Our own club as other fans of some other clubs, eg Sheffield Wednesday. 

It's not a passion, like it is for them (and other northern clubs, and some midland ones). @Bar BS3 won't hoike his 4 year old all the way up to Blackburn, whereas yer northern dad will bring his seven under 5s here and thus fill the Atyeo. Hats off to @Bar BS3, by the way, for his child centred parenting; no doubt he takes little Bar to Music With Mummy and reads him books and sh1t, again, unlike your feckless northern father.

If you look around the south of England (and including south Wales), outside of London there is very little of the kind of passion and following of those to the north, with perhaps one exception: Portsmouth. So why do Pompey retain today the kind of "pashun" we cannot muster, certainly in away support? Take a look at history. They joined the FL long after us, but once they got to the top they had 25 consecutive seasons and were Champions of England, twice. Not to mention, three Cup Finals, finally winning it at the third attempt, before the war.

This is what lays down tradition and a culture of "going to the match," and cements a central place within the town and community, and civic pride, for a club. That tradition lives on, passed down the generations, and can be seen in the number of people so prowed and into their club and their town that they will give up every other Saturday and spend days on motorways and trains, attending far-flung away fixtures. Our 5 years and one losing final were not enough to do the same. The 65 year wait for more - in which time football enjoyed boom years, laying down more traditions of passion and support - did for us, we missed out. By 1976, football was losing support fast and national affection and our one good season and three struggles at the top (plus crap in the cups) could not alter our status. 

However, those nine years of top class football ensure we are the biggest, bestest club in this part of the country. So, small mercies and all that....

Most in the south are like Reading; too often, we are like Reading, and increasingly going that way. Saturday excepted!

Football started in the north and the Midlands, and the legacy of that is still there for all to see, in the home attendances (witness Sunderland, for eg) and especially the away support (see Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, etc). It's their game, really. The rest of us (outside of London, the capital would always be able to muscle in) are always playing catch up, playing someone else's game, we're just there to make up the numbers.

The sooner you accept that we are not as into 1. Football and 2. Our own club as others elsewhere the sooner you can stop upsetting yourself.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Bizarre that people are having to justify why they can't go to a football match!

Indeed. I'm not going, and couldn't give a damn if people think I'm a good fan or not. I know I can afford it but with a little one on the way, every frivolous expenditure is being scrutinized by the wife and compared to amount of baby grows and nappies that could buy "sigh". Yes, apparently "frivolous expenditure" and "Bristol City" are in the same category.

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We're just not that into 1. Football, and 2. Our own club as other fans of some other clubs, eg Sheffield Wednesday. 

It's not a passion, like it is for them (and other northern clubs, and some midland ones). @Bar BS3 won't hoike his 4 year old all the way up to Blackburn, whereas yer northern dad will bring his seven under 5s here and thus fill the Atyeo. Hats off to @Bar BS3, by the way, for his child centred parenting; no doubt he takes little Bar to Music With Mummy and reads him books and sh1t, again, unlike your feckless northern father.

If you look around the south of England (and including south Wales), outside of London there is very little of the kind of passion and following of those to the north, with perhaps one exception: Portsmouth. So why do Pompey retain today the kind of "pashun" we cannot muster, certainly in away support? Take a look at history. They joined the FL long after us, but once they got to the top they had 25 consecutive seasons and were Champions of England, twice. Not to mention, three Cup Finals, finally winning it at the third attempt, before the war.

This is what lays down tradition and a culture of "going to the match," and cements a central place within the town and community, and civic pride, for a club. That tradition lives on, passed down the generations, and can be seen in the number of people so prowed and into their club and their town that they will give up every other Saturday and spend days on motorways and trains, attending far-flung away fixtures. Our 5 years and one losing final were not enough to do the same. The 65 year wait for more - in which time football enjoyed boom years, laying down more traditions of passion and support - did for us, we missed out. By 1976, football was losing support fast and national affection and our one good season and three struggles at the top (plus crap in the cups) could not alter our status. 

However, those nine years of top class football ensure we are the biggest, bestest club in this part of the country. So, small mercies and all that....

Most in the south are like Reading; too often, we are like Reading, and increasingly going that way. Saturday excepted!

Football started in the north and the Midlands, and the legacy of that is still there for all to see, in the home attendances (witness Sunderland, for eg) and especially the away support (see Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, etc). It's their game, really. The rest of us (outside of London, the capital would always be able to muscle in) are always playing catch up, playing someone else's game, we're just there to make up the numbers.

The sooner you accept that we are not as into 1. Football and 2. Our own club as others elsewhere the sooner you can stop upsetting yourself.

Very good point put very well and I agree totally.

Archived