IGNORED

Scholes

Super

1 minute ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Good on him for not expecting a top club and starting at L2. Hope he fails miserably though.

Wait for the lack of people saying it's poor him having to start at league 2 rather than at a higher club compared to Campbell ?

1 minute ago, Super said:

New Oldham manager. Good to see another former top player giving it a go.

I really hope this works out for him. Clearly a fan of the football club so can’t question his motivation.

Good to see Joey Barton, Sol Campbell taking lower league jobs and also Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard’s Derby

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Surprised the league allowed it, given his interest in Salford.

He owns a 10% share, I guess there aren’t too many times the league have ever come across an owner/part owner of one club, managing another.  There probably isn’t a rule to cover that situation.

7 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

He owns a 10% share, I guess there aren’t too many times the league have ever come across an owner/part owner of one club, managing another.  There probably isn’t a rule to cover that situation.

Interesting. I wonder what happens if and when Salford eventually get into the EFL? Conflict of interest surely, not that I doubt Paul Scholes honesty in any way?

26 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Surprised the league allowed it, given his interest in Salford.

7 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

There is a rule. You are allowed up to 10% so long as your shareholding is for "investment purposes". I assume he has proven to the EFL that although he holds 10% of Salford he has no input into the management, team selection or general running of the club.  He will apparently be unable to do transfers between Oldham and Salford.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11730/11631618/paul-scholes-gets-permission-to-take-oldham-job-after-efl-checks

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There is a rule. You are allowed up to 10% so long as your shareholding is for "investment purposes". I assume he has proven to the EFL that although he holds 10% of Salford he has no input into the management, team selection or general running of the club.  He will apparently be unable to do transfers between Oldham and Salford.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11730/11631618/paul-scholes-gets-permission-to-take-oldham-job-after-efl-checks

Thanks Exiled, that clears my query up then.

I wonder what would happen though, if (hypothetically) Salford need a certain series of results near the end of a season and Oldham are one of those games? Oldham may not need the points themselves etc etc so Salford inevitably win. If, in that scenario, I was something to do with a club affected by this hypothetical scenario, I wouldn't be too happy in all honesty (unless it was the sags, obviously). 

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Thanks Exiled, that clears my query up then.

I wonder what would happen though, if (hypothetically) Salford need a certain series of results near the end of a season and Oldham are one of those games? Oldham may not need the points themselves etc etc so Salford inevitably win. If, in that scenario, I was something to do with a club affected by this hypothetical scenario, I wouldn't be too happy in all honesty (unless it was the sags, obviously). 

True, I have thought about that scenario as well. However I guess the answer is that you have to trust the rules, trust the EFL's decision and trust that Scholes really does hold his 10% for investment purposes only and that he would conduct himself properly. It is a lot to trust but it's all you can really do. Personally I am surprised that the Salford Class of 92 shareholders' agreement allows Scholes to do this - but that's a private matter between him and his mates.

Interestingly, as he has had dispensation from the EFL board, Mark Ashton will have been involved in that decision.

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

True, I have thought about that scenario as well. However I guess the answer is that you have to trust the rules, trust the EFL's decision and trust that Scholes really does hold his 10% for investment purposes only and that he would conduct himself properly. It is a lot to trust but it's all you can really do. Personally I am surprised that the Salford Class of 92 shareholders' agreement allows Scholes to do this - but that's a private matter between him and his mates.

Interestingly, as he has had dispensation from the EFL board, Mark Ashton will have been involved in that decision.

Indeed. I guess he (Scholes) must have put something in writing to the EFL, not that I question his values in any way but it's an interesting situation. Maybe Scholes has to do something legally with his 10% holding in Salford to avoid any possible accusations of nepotism? I'm certain Oldham / Salford / the EFL would have covered it in some detail TBH. 

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Indeed. I guess he (Scholes) must have put something in writing to the EFL, not that I question his values in any way but it's an interesting situation. Maybe Scholes has to do something legally with his 10% holding in Salford to avoid any possible accusations of nepotism? I'm certain Oldham / Salford / the EFL would have covered it in some detail TBH. 

I come across conflicts of interest of directors and shareholders in my job. It's normally dealt with by the conflicted person simply abstaining from decisions on which they are conflicted. Sometimes there's a written agreement but generally it's not legally required.

I suspect here Scholes has either given up or promised not to use his voting rights that he has from the shares. Basically he wouldn't be involved in any shareholder decisions that Salford make.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I come across conflicts of interest of directors and shareholders in my job. It's normally dealt with by the conflicted person simply abstaining from decisions on which they are conflicted. Sometimes there's a written agreement but generally it's not legally required.

I suspect here Scholes has either given up or promised not to use his voting rights that he has from the shares. Basically he wouldn't be involved in any shareholder decisions that Salford make.

Sounds fair Exiled. Scholes comes across as an honorable, thoughtful man in interviews so I'm sure he would do the 'right' thing. 

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Correct.

Becks. The Nevilles and Giggs will vote the way that Scholes tells 'em! :)

Seriously, I've always got the impression that Scholes is a pretty straightforward hap and would be trustworthy in a situation like this.

Archived