IGNORED

LJ to BBC Bristol "2 or 3 weren't at it"

JackIKnowski

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol:

"I thought the performance was energetic, I thought we worked hard, I thought first half we were very good in the way we pressed and countered.

"But there were still two or three individuals that I didn't think were at it, for whatever reason, and you can't afford to have that at levels like this.

"Second half we came out and the first five or six minutes we were fine, then for 20 minutes they blew us away and that was partly down to us making poor decisions in possession and partly down to their quality."

Who is LJ talking about and do you agree with his Mourinho-esque negative digging out of players? (Albeit not mentioning names).

Substitutions are fully tactical and cover more than just being a % of being 'at it'. It depends on score and Norwich tactics too.

Lj has learned in his years of management that a single 60/ 90 min performance doesn't guarantee a change or team place for a totally different game, eg Birmingham. Injuries / combinations also come into equation and I expect Pato will start on Tuesday.Let's hope Fam doesn't get criticised for not scoring today by passing to Pato to score!

Great effort put in all round against a very good side. Great team spirit has been evident throughout the season. Continued efforts can get us into the play offs which would surpass my expectations of this season. Needs everyone to get 100% behind the team for the run in and even the cynics lightening up for 10 weeks and see where being positive takes them. Who knows could have all sorts of benefits.

I think it's a lazy opinion to just pick the subs, as an example I didn't think Wright, Pack or Brownhill had good games by there standards (or certainly by the standards required to beat a team like Norwich).

Patterson was running out of steam, we needed more energy up top so Taylor for Fam makes sense and the Norwich commentary were surprised to see Fam come off "he has caused us trouble all game" (always strange listening to opposition commentary as it wasn't how I saw it). Desilva probably wasn't adding the physicality that we needed. 

Bizarre comment for LJ to make...if he did feel 2 or 3 were not at it why did he wait until we 3-2 down before using subs? 

Perhaps a smokescreen comment as LJ got the subs all wrong today... should have subbed off BW for Pisano at HT. Should never of taken off Fammy, who was playing well and certainly should not have nullified COD by switching him to LWB. 

6 hours ago, JackIKnowski said:
  • Dasilva Substituted for Palmer at 71'minutes 
  • 20 Paterson Substituted for Watkins at 71'minutes
  • Diedhiou Substituted forTaylor at 71' mins

Interestingly of the 3 that came off, not one of them should have been substituted; LJ, excellent recently and particularly against Wolves, got these wrong. DaSilva was the better of the two full backs, Paterson our creativity and Diedhiou was a handful. All 3 taken off. Changes were needed, Norwich were on fire. Watkins and Palmer weren't the players for  that situation. Matty Taylor yes, but not in place of Diedhiou. I'm  sure LJ will learn from it - he's doing a great job.

As posted on the COD thread, he actually went out of his way to dig out Callum for their second goal. Wrong IMO (could have been a pen if he put a tackle in), and also a pretty stupid thing to say bearing in mind we need to nail this player down to a new deal. Johnson stated Callum's Messi style goal was cancelled out in his opinion due to this defensive error. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Bizarre comment for LJ to make...if he did feel 2 or 3 were not at it why did he wait until we 3-2 down before using subs? 

Perhaps a smokescreen comment as LJ got the subs all wrong today... should have subbed off BW for Pisano at HT. Should never of taken off Fammy, who was playing well and certainly should not have nullified COD by switching him to LWB. 

Can’t disagree with your comments.

I don’t like managers and HC’s making statements like this to the press - to be fair  no names given but we win as a team we lose as a team as far as the media is concerned - what is said in the dressing room is another matter.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Not a bizarre comment at all OE. 

He’s letting the squad know that he expects 100% in every game and when he doesn’t get that he’ll let the individual players know for sure and by making that comment publicly he’s reinforcing what’s expected from them.

There might be a clue in the team selection on Tuesday.....

1 hour ago, Jack Bailey said:

As posted on the COD thread, he actually went out of his way to dig out Callum for their second goal. Wrong IMO (could have been a pen if he put a tackle in), and also a pretty stupid thing to say bearing in mind we need to nail this player down to a new deal. Johnson stated Callum's Messi style goal was cancelled out in his opinion due to this defensive error. 

Did he say second goal? Just watched highlights and I thought COD might have shown a bit more effort to at least get a foot in for their third (and out of the box, so no chance of a pen). He seemed to stand back a bit and just allow the guy to shoot. We got bodies and feet in the way pretty well yesterday. But not sure about the second. We certainly gave their guy too much space out wide to get into the box and get a cross in, but not sure that was COD? 

4 hours ago, Jack Bailey said:

Or trying to tell COD, his agent and the rest of world, “you’re not quite the complete player your wage demands suggest.”   

12 hours ago, JackIKnowski said:

Who is LJ talking about and do you agree with his Mourinho-esque negative digging out of players? (Albeit not mentioning names).

6 hours ago, old_eastender said:

In the match day thread I said I thought we didn’t work hard enough running back towards our own goal.  We didn’t get our 9 outfield players behind the ball like we normally do. So I agree with Lee.

I don’t think it was 2 or 3 specifically but in again given moment we weren’t defending as a team and 2 or 3 weren’t where they were meant to be.

He was only saying 2 or 3 weren't at their best yesterday. There really is nothing deeper to this whatsoever.

In some ways, I reckon losing wasn't a bad thing as no team goes on and on winning.

Norwich are class, better to be them that ended our run than Brum.

COYR, I know we can get back to winning ways on Tuesday.

Excited.

LJ's always looking at the fine margins and I think this is another attempt at improving  those margins. By highlighting 2 or 3 who could improve without naming them should spur the whole staring 11 to question themselves and try even harder.

This season we have the strength in depth to cover any position with the exception of centre forward so holding a place in the 11 is relient on form as opposed to last season where if you could walk you played.

We have 12 games left to cement a play off place and, judging by the positivity on the forum, the fans are fully behind the team. This cohesion in the stands should lift the team and coaches it's now up to them to make us truely believe. We may be, as the chant goes "bouncing around the ground" but a couple more wins and I think the ground itself will start bouncing.

Archived