IGNORED

The run in (Merged)

BessexRED

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I disagree. He was not without his faults, most CB’s in the Champ have defects. But lower half? Initially upon promotion - maybe. But he got better and better. Not perfect but a I would say he was up there with a bracket of CBs who would get into mist top half sides. 

His goals gave him added status here, but let’s not forget a brilliant defensive performance v Brighton away (1-0 Brownhill) late on in 16/17. 

I’m more aligned to this view. 

Agree. 

Its fine to have a bit of a laugh at his / Boro’s expense, but I think the vast majority look back at his time here fondly, especially after his shaky start here. A typical late to the pro game player making the best of his ability and striving to play at the best level. It doesn’t look likely that Boro will get him to the Prem this season like he wanted but I don’t blame him for thinking they were a better bet than us in August, nor maximising his earnings in the process. 

Got to disagree to be honest. 

The Brighton away performance and that header v Man City aside, he'll be remembered for his work in the opposition box over what he did in ours. 

To be a top half championship defender you need more to your game than last ditch blocks and good heading ability, which he had in spades. On the floor he wasn't great and he lacked pace (which we masked well to be fair), look at how Adams destroyed him a couple of seasons back on the last day of the season for Birmingham, a top half championship centre back would have dealt with that. 

Yes he's a city legend, but he's a legend mainly due to his ridiculous season in league one and the effort he put into his time at the club, not due to his defending capabilities 

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Well Derby only have to play 2 top half teams, 6 bottom half.

Boro 2 top half, 5 bottom half.

City play 5 top half, 3 bottom half.

Given our last 2 results,  our run in looks the best!

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

The Brighton away performance and that header v Man City aside, he'll be remembered for his work in the opposition box over what he did in ours. 

To be a top half championship defender you need more to your game than last ditch blocks and good heading ability, which he had in spades. On the floor he wasn't great and he lacked pace (which we masked well to be fair), look at how Adams destroyed him a couple of seasons back on the last day of the season for Birmingham, a top half championship centre back would have dealt with that. 

Yes he's a city legend, but he's a legend mainly due to his ridiculous season in league one and the effort he put into his time at the club, not due to his defending capabilities 

We’ll probably disagree then, and I’ve never been a Flint fan-boy, per se.

Taking the top half teams:

Norwich: Zimmerman and Godfrey / Klose

Leeds: Jansson and Cooper (as good a partnership as you’ll get at this level)

Sheffield Utd (3): Basham, Egan and O’Connell

West Brom: Dawson and Hegazi

Derby: Tomori and Keogh

Villa: Mings and Hause

Boro (3): Flint, Ayala and Fry

Forest: Wague and Benalouane

Preston: Storey / Clarke and Davies

Sheffield Wed: Hector and Lees

Stoke: Shawcross and Baath 

Hull: de Wijs and Burke

Brentford: Mepham and Jeanvier

Apart from Leeds (and us of course!!!!), can you honestly say you don’t think he’d be a play ahead of one if not both of the current CBs in the top 14 sides in this division.  To me that qualifies him as a top half Championship CB.

13 hours ago, JBFC II said:

It’s all about opinions and for me the big man was iconic for us and I just loved having him at the club. 

He was , actually, one of the fastest players at the club , you may be able to find his beep test results.

His passing was overlooked but was also pretty good.

He’s stereotyped because of his size but there is much more to his game than a head it and welly it merchant.

Would I have him back ? 

No, both parties have moved on.

Do I begrudge him leaving for Boro ?

Again , not one bit. He is a pro and needs to get the best deal for his final years who could really blame him ?

Us = Sheffield Wednesday

Took me a while to work that out!

As well as seeing us make it into the playoffs on this prediction, the other team going close again is our favourite bogey team of Preston.

Before our last 2 games, this definitely wouldn't have looked so rosy. Plus if we think our away form is good, West Brom's is even better, which makes next Tuesday's game quite the 6-pointer yet again.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s all about opinions and for me the big man was iconic for us and I just loved having him at the club. 

He was , actually, one of the fastest players at the club , you may be able to find his beep test results.

His passing was overlooked but was also pretty good.

He’s stereotyped because of his size but there is much more to his game than a head it and welly it merchant.

Would I have him back ? 

No, both parties have moved on.

Do I begrudge him leaving for Boro ?

Again , not one bit. He is a pro and needs to get the best deal for his final years who could really blame him ?

If I was younger and fitter I could do what Flint did/does.

Running fast and kicking a ball like he did/does doesn’t make him/me/anyone a good CB in my book.

Oh and I’m tattooed too ?

When I was a kid I had Subbuteo. With corner kickers. Remember them? Well I reckon our dear old Aden modelled his footballing prowess on one of them ?

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Running fast and kicking a ball like he did/does doesn’t make him/me/anyone a good CB in my book.

When I was a kid I had Subbuteo. With corner kickers. Remember them? Well I reckon our dear old Aden modelled his footballing prowess on one of them ?

Are you on a wind-up with this Flint nonsense?  It's all utter tripe, I don't believe you for one single minute!

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

GD could yet play a part, we could do with smashing a few in against someone PDQ

image.png

We usually manage to do that one a season don’t we, is 4-1 vs Blackburn going to be our biggest tally or will someone get battered in the run in. We suddenly found a Hat trick hero but I’m doubtful if he will be ready for Sat and maybe beyond. Looks like Flint saw to it that he won’t be scoring for us to help our goal diff. ?

I'm convinced now City will finish 5th place.  You can't stop City when their tails are up, confidence is soaring, etc.

Wigan will be a tough game, but you'd have to fancy us for the narrow win, and then the excitement of playing a resurgent WBA, which I'd bank as a goal-scoring draw.

Villa - take a defeat on the chin, Grealish running the show, McGinn fires in from long-range and Tammy scores the winner (bastard!), City then grab a crucial, tricky win over struggling Reading, and one of our now famous 0-1 wins against Wednesday.

And then a whopper of a game - LJ v Frank, City v Derby - a 26k sell out and a 3-1 win for City.  Weimann returns to score a double against his old club.

Draw to Millwall, and beat Hull, as their guys will be in beach mode (hopefully)!

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSS

In reply to your first sentence, you didn’t, he did . 

Certain professionals in the game disagree with you , as does Flint’s trophy and medal cabinet.

As for your third sentence suffice to say that on my passport application form it asked if I had any ‘ distinguishing ‘ features , I write no tattoos.

As a kid I only played Subbuteo once , just enough to break Charlie George and Jon Radford . 

Sausage Fingers was  never invited back for another game.

:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Certain professionals in the game disagree with you , as does Flint’s trophy and medal cabinet.

As for your third sentence suffice to say that on my passport application form it asked if I had any ‘ distinguishing ‘ features , I write no tattoos.

As a kid I only played Subbuteo once , just enough to break Charlie George and Jon Radford . 

Wise words, Major, and due to the content of the Big Al paragraph you've responded to, I can't believe he's being serious.  The Flint comments are too ludicrous to be taken seriously.

He's also delivered a few whoppers over the years about our exceptional owner, Stephen Lansdown.

Obvious statement but Saturday is massive!

Villa, Derby and Boro all have tricky away matches and we have Wigan at home.

This would be traditionally the type of game where we would struggle. They will make life very difficult for us. At this point, I don't care how we win as long as we do.

Going in to the WBA/Villa matches with a game in hand and a gap between us and 7th would take the pressure off even if only a small amount.

Exciting times!! :fingerscrossed:   

On 04/04/2019 at 10:28, Major Isewater said:

@Major Isewater Oh Christ I hear you say, I thought he’d gone away..... ?

This trumps anything Aden has in his glazed G Plan cabinet. Surely Major you’d agree? Wanna see the rest of my memorabilia? ?

And what’s wrong with tats? Had my first for my 70th and now I’m covered.....

Sausage Fingers? Did you find that the pitch always started out nice and smooth but ended up like the Netham on a frozen Saturday afternoon? And as for those bastard goal posts.... we were always leaning on them and breaking them.

Anyway 3 points tomorrow. And the unbeaten run continues..... 

Top two here we come ?

7C29B12A-3CBA-4669-9DAC-4D8EAC4996C0.jpeg

@Major Isewater Oh Christ I hear you say, I thought he’d gone away..... ?

Not at all old fruit I enjoy a good exchange.

This trumps anything Aden has in his glazed G Plan cabinet. Surely Major you’d agree? Wanna see the rest of my memorabilia? ?

I bet that’s your stock in trade chat up line .

And what’s wrong with tats? Had my first for my 70th and now I’m covered.....

I  like  Tats but not  the clowns who follow fashion and have the same one as every bugger else without any thought to meaning or sense that should come with such a life choice.

Sausage Fingers? Did you find that the pitch always started out nice and smooth but ended up like the Netham on a frozen Saturday afternoon? And as for those bastard goal posts.... we were always leaning on them and breaking them.

Exactly this. I actually had a football game on a pitch of tin with the players kicking by means of a lever and cable under the pitch .Robust .

Anyway 3 points tomorrow. And the unbeaten run continues..... 

Top two here we come ?

With you on this one brother ! 

7C29B12A-3CBA-4669-9DAC-4D8EAC4996C0.jpeg

To make the P/Offs we need 75 points, in my oplnion, and yes, I believe we will do it. As to the P/Offs, after many years of bitter experience, thats the bit that normally goes wrong.

We do though seem to be following Brighton's model, develop the infastructure, new Manager comes in and saves us from going down, steady improvement, then P/offs (goes wrong), then automatic promotion the next season. So maybe next year is when we lick the cream, but it would be nice if it was this year, right now.

COYRs

Archived