IGNORED

2 points against Ipswich and Wigan

reddogkev

Really frustrating, I worry we'll look back on those 4 points dropped and realise they were crucial. 

Strange isn't it, we pick up two outstanding away wins, sandwiched between these 2 deflating home draws.  Football really is an unpredictable beast.

Wish LJ had started yesterday's game more attack-minded and not played the 3 centre-backs against Wigan. 

16 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Really frustrating, I worry we'll look back on those 4 points dropped and realise they were crucial. 

Strange isn't it, we pick up two outstanding away wins, sandwiched between these 2 deflating home draws.  Football really is an unpredictable beast.

Wish LJ had started yesterday's game more attack-minded and not played the 3 centre-backs against Wigan. 

but 6 points away at Sheffield Utd and Middlesborough, my glass is half full.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Two outstanding away results and then all the good work is undone by the performance yesterday is my take on it. We’ve been poor at home for most of the season, it seems the poorer side know how to play us. Just when you get excited we shoot ourselves in the foot. It does my head in!!!

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We could have had your glass full to the top, dare I say flowing over your fingers, with two home wins.  Put this right for next season, and the top two beckons for us.

43 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Think of it another way.

Same points, but the wins were against Wigan and Ipswich instead.

The result is Boro and Blades are each a point better off.

If you have to drop points, it's better to do so against teams you aren't directly competing against.

The Ipswich game was one thing but they don't lose all that often, or haven't that often of late at least- they draw quite a few and their performance level is better than their position. That bookended a bad run.

Yesterday was for me more of a blow. Wigan lose most of the time away, not often by much but lose they do!

More than that, revitalised after the international break- no game in over a fortnight and we had got 2 great wins in a week.

Plus we had done the hard bit of turning it round! Goal down, 2-1 up and missed some good opportunities at 2-1. Triple substitution after about an hour as well- brave, ballsy.

Fact we didn't, couldn't see it out- and we were about to put some clear water between us and Derby- that'd be the bigger blow IMO.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

We could have had your glass full to the top, dare I say flowing over your fingers, with two home wins.  Put this right for next season, and the top two beckons for us.

32 minutes ago, swanker said:

Two outstanding away results and then all the good work is undone by the performance yesterday is my take on it. We’ve been poor at home for most of the season, it seems the poorer side know how to play us. Just when you get excited we shoot ourselves in the foot. It does my head in!!!

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Sorry but pick any team in the top 10 except Norwich and they will all be telling their own tales of woe, of points squandered here or there. Our performance wasn’t poor yesterday but it was tired after a hard week.

As for @reddogkev you are talking like that  last minute goal has ruled out of the promotion race. We only lost ground on Villa, and we are very much in this.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Daft thing is; if we had drawn 2-2 at Sheffield and beaten Wigan 3-2, we'd all be jumping for joy.

37 minutes ago, swanker said:

I would say «  some «  of the good work is undone.

We are still in the top six and it is still in our hands to stay there.

Keep your nerve there will be many twists and turns before the season is over.

It’s a miracle that we’re still up there view our lack of goals and a rookie keeper to boot .

Now is the time to dig deep and grind out results.

Whatever happens from now on in this has been an amazing season and full credit must go to the staff and the players for their efforts.

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. It's the one thing LJ needs to work out - why are we so bad against sides we should be beating at home. 

For me Pack is a problem in these games. He was at fault for both goals. He comes too deep too often and is too slow, too safe. We had 3 centre backs and Pack was still dropping back into the safe zone where he has time and space.

Paterson was not great either, but I feel a midfielder that can cover more ground and more comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces than Pack will help the likes of Pato and Brownhill.

Really hoping Smith is ok for Tuesday. Also I wonder if Walsh will be involved at all for the rest of the season. 

Another problem yesterday was how bad we were at defending set pieces. But to be fair it might just be a one off as we are usually very good in that area.

Your constant attacking of Pack is getting a bit boring, you must love it when he makes a mistake so you can rush on here and spout your nonsense. As for Pack was responsible for both goals you are talking out your ass, the 1st goal the guy riggles out of a challenge by Pack and runs 20 yrds tracked by 2 other players and hits a once in a career shot that Max stops going for as he thinks its going wide, the 2nd Kalas is goal side and challenging Clark and gets a elbow in the head.

Your Pack hatred and Smith love in is blinkering what actually happened.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I like Pack. Just think he has weaknesses that can at times be exposed. I really do not love it when he makes mistakes as he's our player, would be odd if I was happy seeing our player cost us a goal or misplace a pass. A number of players are picked out for bad performances, so not sure why Pack should be any different.

But most of your posts single out Pack and in your post above you said "He was at fault for both goals", when clearly he was not and other players where more at fault than him

Thing is, you actually have to look at other sides too. Do people do this when assessing our results?

We bemoan the Ipswich result but in recent weeks they've drawn with us- plus West Brom, Derby, Stoke and Nottingham Forest

In in that context a draw v them given our form had hit a dip. Plus we had Marinovic in goal who brought zero confidence to his defence- his early terrible piece of distribution set the tone there- Not such a huge surprise.

Wigan waa disappointing moreso- but if anyone thought they'd be easy, well they don't obviously watch, follow or analyse a lot of football aside from us! Still should have won.

Overall I'd have taken 7 points from 3 games for sure, but having done the hard part- both in the week then turning it round Saturday- missed opportunity!

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But most of your posts single out Pack and in your post above you said "He was at fault for both goals", when clearly he was not and other players where more at fault than him

How I see it as well.

The fact is, we defended really poorly against their deep set pieces all through the match. The entire back line - even the pick of the bunch, Kalas - has to take some ownership for that. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thing is, you actually have to look at other sides too. Do people do this when assessing our results?

We bemoan the Ipswich result but in recent weeks they've drawn with us- plus West Brom, Derby, Stoke and Nottingham Forest

In in that context a draw v them given our form had hit a dip. Plus we had Marinovic in goal who brought zero confidence to his defence- his early terrible piece of distribution set the tone there- Not such a huge surprise.

Wigan waa disappointing moreso- but if anyone thought they'd be easy, well they don't obviously watch, follow or analyse a lot of football aside from us! Still should have won.

Overall I'd have taken 7 points from 3 games for sure, but having done the hard part- both in the week then turning it round Saturday- missed opportunity!

How did relegation certainties , Rotherham get on yesterday against play off hopefuls Forest ?

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How did relegation certainties , Rotherham get on yesterday against play off hopefuls Forest ?

Well exactly Major.

Struggling Millwall and Birmingham...sure did get thrashed v West Brom and Leeds.

Oh no, wait- both won! Both strugglers won.

Having said that had we got 4 points from the 2 home games couldn't complain too much given how the League is but 2 draws feels a little too low.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. It's the one thing LJ needs to work out - why are we so bad against sides we should be beating at home. 

For me Pack is a problem in these games. He was at fault for both goals. He comes too deep too often and is too slow, too safe. We had 3 centre backs and Pack was still dropping back into the safe zone where he has time and space.

Paterson was not great either, but I feel a midfielder that can cover more ground and more comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces than Pack will help the likes of Pato and Brownhill.

Really hoping Smith is ok for Tuesday. Also I wonder if Walsh will be involved at all for the rest of the season. 

Another problem yesterday was how bad we were at defending set pieces. But to be fair it might just be a one off as we are usually very good in that area.

Thought the whole midfield was poor yesterday again needs freshening up Brownhill included cant fault the forwards they had to feed of of scraps

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Not being rude Mate but its standard when playing in a three that the holding midfielder drops into the pocket. It increases the options and passing angles and provides security for the width to get further forward which again increases the options and passing angles - Its geometrical, mathematical, that pocket creates triangles and diamonds to increase coverage of the pitch.   

20 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Thought the whole midfield was poor yesterday again needs freshening up Brownhill included cant fault the forwards they had to feed of of scraps

Less fluidity with the Paterson for Smith change.

Had to be done due to injuries and fitness, but it breaks down a bit, midfield and attack don't link so well.

Arguably according to some, we played a 3-4-2-1 at Sheffield United. Weimann and Brownhill as inside forwards almost.

Smith's lack of fitness, Walsh apparently still being injured and the lack of effectiveness from the start- left us quite limited and having to change the successful formula of last Saturday. Paterson behind Taylor and Diedhiou- technically good but not so fluid. Could Morrell have made a difference?

Ie 

Hunt Brownhill Pack Morrell Da Silva

Taylor Diedhiou

More of a straightforward 3-5-2.

Still the players we have injured creates a tactical hole- Smith still getting back, Walsh, Weimann and O'Dowda still being injured any of those 4 could have helped make it more fluid, the better passing lanes etc. Tactically it would have helped us but it is what it is.

A bit of perspective; if anyone had predicted 7 points from the last three matches I'd have bitten their hand off.

Or put it another way, Sheff U win, Boro draw & Wigan win, that sounds more realistic.

Also, going into the last month in a playoff place, no one would have predicted that. I still think we'll finish 8th or 9th but what do I know. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised but one thing's for sure I will enjoy the rollercoaster ride!

Having a decent fully fit keeper would help losing Korey Smith and a revitalised Weinmann added to the problem but this negative mindset to opening up on the front foot happens time after time, Man City played poorly yesterday but got behind Brightons defence with a blinding pin point cross right at the start 1-0 which left a poorer side chasing the match.

The slow plodding first half home displays with City players spending more time in their own half than creating problems by pushing forward is so predictable, Ipswich Town have been better than their results and although 1-1 was disappointing it wasn't as gutting as letting Wigan who are appalling away from home off the hook.Snatched miss hit and scuffed shots happen but certain players in red couldn't hit a brick wall Taylor takes flak for not scoring enough and being slow but on as a sub he makes a difference a lot of time, next season will need a new keeper and not some cast off reserve or out of contract freebie you build from the back.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

But both Wigan and Ipswich have also taken points against teams that are higher placed than us, this season. It’s football. It happens, and it doesn’t only happen to us..! 

8 points from the last 4 games is a great return. Yes, the games that they came from was unpredictable and yes, Harrington won the tougher games, it’s fristrating that we could do even more good to our points total yesterday, but that’s life. I think we may well rue those extra 2 points that we do nearly had yesterday, but Wigan were worthy of a point, so you have to take these things on the chin, in the same way we gleefully accepted 3 fortunate points against the likes of QPR. 

28 minutes ago, grove park city said:

Having a decent fully fit keeper would help losing Korey Smith and a revitalised Weinmann added to the problem but this negative mindset to opening up on the front foot happens time after time, Man City played poorly yesterday but got behind Brightons defence with a blinding pin point cross right at the start 1-0 which left a poorer side chasing the match.

The slow plodding first half home displays with City players spending more time in their own half than creating problems by pushing forward is so predictable, Ipswich Town have been better than their results and although 1-1 was disappointing it wasn't as gutting as letting Wigan who are appalling away from home off the hook.Snatched miss hit and scuffed shots happen but certain players in red couldn't hit a brick wall Taylor takes flak for not scoring enough and being slow but on as a sub he makes a difference a lot of time, next season will need a new keeper and not some cast off reserve or out of contract freebie you build from the back.

Wigan came out in a fairly attacking frame for a struggling side away from home- not just down to us, they won 2 free kicks fairly early.

Agree though, yesterday was the worse of the 2.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

As long as I've been following City, we've battled well against better teams, but failed to capitalise against weaker sides.

Must be some sort of arcane curse on Ashton Gate.

Not just us. Wherever you go, the home fans complain "We always struggle against teams at the bottom". Makes me wonder how come any team ever gets relegated when you hear that.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Less fluidity with the Paterson for Smith change.

Had to be done due to injuries and fitness, but it breaks down a bit, midfield and attack don't link so well.

Arguably according to some, we played a 3-4-2-1 at Sheffield United. Weimann and Brownhill as inside forwards almost.

Smith's lack of fitness, Walsh apparently still being injured and the lack of effectiveness from the start- left us quite limited and having to change the successful formula of last Saturday. Paterson behind Taylor and Diedhiou- technically good but not so fluid. Could Morrell have made a difference?

Ie 

Hunt Brownhill Pack Morrell Da Silva

Taylor Diedhiou

More of a straightforward 3-5-2.

Still the players we have injured creates a tactical hole- Smith still getting back, Walsh, Weimann and O'Dowda still being injured any of those 4 could have helped make it more fluid, the better passing lanes etc. Tactically it would have helped us but it is what it is.

Think morrell could give the energy in midfield we are lacking patterson hides and dont get in the game like one poster said his only contribution yesterday was a corner before being subbed  palmer or morrell for me

3 hours ago, swanker said:

Before the Sheff U game how many fans would have more than happily taken 7 points from United, Boro and Wigan?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

My glass has hole in the bottom!

Archived