IGNORED

Where is our pr department? (Merged)

Ivorguy

Indeed - Brentford, Wigan, Northampton all have statements out, and Derby too as of the last half hour.

Pretty sure Adam Baker would have got something out by now if he was still in the job, but this is what happens when you have employees not fans in charge of PR. Probably don't work Sundays or busy designing a new badge for the badminton team.

To be fair the club shouldn't have to knee jerk react to every social media nonsense that arises but unfortunately this story is out there and BBC, Sky and others have repeated for hours now in a way that implies Bristol City are responsible for racism.

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

BBC in last five minutes giving the news of the appalling example of racism involving our club yesterday, gave no statement from club making it clear it wasn't a City fan who was guilty.

Don't they work on Sundays?

What has happened @Ivorguy

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Man Utd fan posts a racist comments towards a Wigan player. 

A) What is that to do with Bristol City?

B) Where is Man Utd's statement?

C) When do we get to sue BBC if they are implicating us?

It is to do with us because the match was at Ashton Gate.  Failure to issue a Press Release allows the implication to stand that, as it was a Wigan player abused, it was a City fan making the abuse.  

That is what a pr department should be doing, issuing a clear statement that 

A. The City abhor such racism

B. It was not a City fan. If it had been they would have been banned for life

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It is to do with us because the match was at Ashton Gate.  Failure to issue a Press Release allows the implication to stand that, as it was a Wigan player abused, it was a City fan making the abuse.  

That is what a pr department should be doing, issuing a clear statement that 

A. The City abhor such racism

B. It was not a City fan. If it had been they would have been banned for life

If Byrne was in Topshop at the time of receiving the tweet, would Topshop need to issue a statement?

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Byrne was in Topshop at the time of receiving the tweet, would Topshop need to issue a statement?

Depends on whether the BBC and Sky were reporting that the racism occurred during a trip to Topshop.  Really isn’t tricky to understand why a statement needs to be made if you’ve seen the way this has been reported on.

Yes it’s f’all to do with us but that is not the way it’s coming across.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Man Utd fan posts a racist comment towards a Wigan player. 

A) What is that to do with Bristol City?

B) Where is Man Utd's statement?

C) When do we get to sue BBC if they are implicating us?

Basically people are stupid and lazy, bit of a blanket statement I know but we have ALL be guilty of this on the internet at times.
It took me a few minutes to check behind the story, initially I thought it was a City fan, easy assumption to make . Went on Byrne's feed and found the Tweet, the guys Tweet is still there. 
Thing is, many would read the headline and that would be it, sadly it's the world we live in. City could get ahead of it and stop any dirt sticking, even though it is nothing to do with the club. 

An example of lazyness , the pic below started as an April fool. I've since seen it reposted by the keen to be outraged. My point is, people take things on face value , their initial inferences are then then taken as gospel. City can put space between the club and this moron .

56180248_10219917499671102_5610300768406

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Depends on whether the BBC and Sky were reporting that the racism occurred during a trip to Topshop.  Really isn’t tricky to understand why a statement needs to be made if you’ve seen the way this has been reported on.

Yes it’s f’all to do with us but that is not the way it’s coming across.

Most levelled headed people will realise it’s a singular person hiding behind a keyboard who isn’t a proper footy fan of any club 

Whilst this person needs to be dealt with, going completely mental about things like this every time just gives the next person to do it bigger platform 

6 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Most levelled headed people will realise it’s a singular person hiding behind a keyboard who isn’t a proper footy fan of any club 

Whilst this person needs to be dealt with, going completely mental about things like this every time just gives the next person to do it bigger platform 

In the BBC report on their website there is no detailed description of the offence, any casual reader will think it happened in the stadium. 

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

In the BBC report on their website there is no detailed description of the offence, any casual reader will think it happened in the stadium. 

Then it’s the casual readers’ fault for assuming. It doesn’t say anywhere that in cane from a City fan, or that it happened at Ashton Gate. 

I agree, that it’s an easy assumption to jump too, but so are many other things. People can’t be expected to issue official statements everytime the idiot general public are taken into account. 

I expect there will be a general comment on the subject in due course, but nobody is accusing us of having any involvement, so there’s nothing really to deny. 

21 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I’m struggling with the fact that it has been reported as happening at ‘Bristol City’ not ‘knobhead on twitter’.

This has nothing to do with our club yet the media is linking it.  Most regular people will see  ‘racist abuse’ and Bristol City in the same sentence, the club needs to get a rebuttal in.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I’m struggling with the fact that it has been reported as happening at ‘Bristol City’ not ‘knobhead on twitter’.

This has nothing to do with our club yet the media is linking it.  Most regular people will see  ‘racist abuse’ and Bristol City in the same sentence, the club needs to get a rebuttal in.

Where has it been reported as happening “at Bristol City”..?

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Where has it been reported as happening “at Bristol City”..?

Most would infer from the reports unless they knew.

Below from BBC website

Wigan said they are "angered" by an abusive message sent to defender Nathan Byrne on Twitter after a 2-2 draw with Bristol City.

I see no mention of the above that it has f’all to do with us, do you?

To be honest, I think Wigan’s statement is fairly woeful and should have specified the details of where it came from, as they were the ones bringing it to the general public eye. 

I don’t see how it’s led to one of our supporters feeling the need to criticise departments of our club, when the incident or the perpetrator had zero connection with our club.  

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Then it’s the casual readers’ fault for assuming. It doesn’t say anywhere that in cane from a City fan, or that it happened at Ashton Gate. 

I agree, that it’s an easy assumption to jump too, but so are many other things. People can’t be expected to issue official statements everytime the idiot general public are taken into account. 

I expect there will be a general comment on the subject in due course, but nobody is accusing us of having any involvement, so there’s nothing really to deny. 

I haven’t watched or listened to reports but if City fans are phoning radio stations to apologise on my behalf, I’d like it clarified that it wasn’t anything to do with city fans because there has been some supposition, however inaccurate 

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

That’s because most people are morons. It doesn’t say anywhere that it was at Ashton Gate, or a City fan. It says he was tweeted it. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

To be honest, I think Wigan’s statement is fairly woeful and should have specified the details of where it came from, as they were the ones bringing it to the general public eye. 

I don’t see how it’s led to one of our supporters feeling the need to criticise departments of our club, when the incident or the perpetrator had zero connection with our club.  

Then you have little understanding of PR.

3 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Below from BBC website

Wigan said they are "angered" by an abusive message sent to defender Nathan Byrne on Twitter after a 2-2 draw with Bristol City.

I see no mention of the above that it has f’all to do with us, do you?

That says it was via the global platform of twitter and when it was sent. 

It doesn’t say it happened at Ashton Gate, not that it was from a Bristol City fan. 

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I haven't seen the reports. Can someone link to them so we can see if there is any defamation? 

There is no defamation as far as I can see just the simple reporting of a racist tweet after our game.  However, without the mention it was nothing to do with us.

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I haven’t watched or listened to reports but if City fans are phoning radio stations to apologise on my behalf, I’d like it clarified that it wasn’t anything to do with city fans because there has been some supposition, however inaccurate 

Have City fans been doing that..?!

If they have, then I’d agree that it needs a statement. Why would anyone feel the need to phone a radio station and apologise for something if they know so little about it that they don’t even know that it had nothing to do with us..?!

That just stinks of people wanting to display how not resist they are, than anything else! Idiots! 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That says it was via the global platform of twitter and when it was sent. 

It doesn’t say it happened at Ashton Gate, not that it was from a Bristol City fan. 

I agree but ffs you have to say it doesn’t look great does it?  If this was another club what would you assume?

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Have City fans been doing that..?!

If they have, then I’d agree that it needs a statement. Why would anyone feel the need to phone a radio station and apologise for something if they know so little about it that they don’t even know that it had nothing to do with us..?!

That just stinks of people wanting to display how not resist they are, than anything else! Idiots! 

It was mentioned on the other thread. If five live and co are discussing it, no doubt there’ll be some headline in the BEP linking us without due clarification of the facts. 

I agree but ffs you have to say it doesn’t look great does it?  If this was another club what would you assume?

If I felt I needed to know about it, i’d Look up the tweet/read the reports and see that it was a tweet, sent by a vile person. 

Nowhere in that investigation would it have told me that it happened at Ashton Gate, or that it was from a City fan. 

I agree that the reports should (now) probably state that it was in no way connected with Bristol City FC. But as it doesn’t say that it was, then it’s hardly surprising that there’s been no need of a swift response from club officials. 

The Sun?  Really.  

Not many football fans read that.  I’m certainly not clicking the link.

It’s not just about football fans though is it? It’s about the wider perception of football and their fans in particular 

38 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

The biggest problem is the British media sensationalise racisim at the moment trying to take the moral high ground when really all they're interested in is selling papers and making money from this.  

The media will continue to stir up a storm about this which will send people in to a frenzy and make them forget to take a step back and look at the whole picture of what has happened before they point the finger at our club. This will no doubt put our club and fans in a bad light when the only link (until proved otherwise) was the game itself. 

This idiot regardless of where he lives or who he supports should absolutely be dealt with harshly as there is no place in society for any form of racisim. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

If I felt I needed to know about it, i’d Look up the tweet/read the reports and see that it was a tweet, sent by a vile person. 

Nowhere in that investigation would it have told me that it happened at Ashton Gate, or that it was from a City fan. 

I agree that the reports should (now) probably state that it was in no way connected with Bristol City FC. But as it doesn’t say that it was, then it’s hardly surprising that there’s been no need of a swift response from club officials. 

I agree but you looked it up as you’re a City fan and hoped this vile thing was nothing to do with us, no one else but a City, or Wigan fan, would do that.

Archived