IGNORED

Racist Abuse At Yeovil...

Leroyfromthestart

One bloke was stood next to me against Yeovil and was going on about Roberts all game, even after he scored.

Not only was he talking about Roberts, but the 'Welsh' in general. The problem was that people around were laughing at him, which probably meant that he felt that his views were spot on.

Well, if you're reading this, the bald duncan goodhew(sp?) look-a-like with the 1970's city retro shirt, you're a very sad man!

Have you not realised by now that some of our supporters might be welsh and that some of us might like Roberts. You're asking for trouble and I hope that one day you get taught a lesson.

Stewards and other fellow supporters should play apart when it comes to these mindless idiots and get them evicted from the ground. I find it just as disturbing to hear abuse about the Welsh than about a black man.

So, the next time you hear someone in the crowd abuse the welsh or for that matter, make any racist comment then speak to a nearby steward or if you feel confident yourself tell them to shut the (I tried to say a naughty word) up!

Lets get behind the team and in particular the players that have in recent seasons been receiving unnecessary abuse from us, so called supporters!

Heres for a successful season in 2004/05!

To be fair to Yeovil, it was announced before the game that anyone making racist comments would be ejected from the ground AND arrested.

The problem obviously lies in what is construed as being racist. I agree that the anti-Roberts, anti-Welsh comments by City fans could be taken as racist. Unfortunately the Yeovil stewards did not appear to be of the same mind. Unless of course they were not aware of it.

Just wanted to make other supporters aware of how I felt on this matter. Sorry, I'll keep my views to myself next time and we can carry on hearing the racist abuse.

I think your views are spot on, don't be put off by the response from Riazzi G.

There are loads of welsh people living in Bristol and many are city fans. I frequently hear the same kind of abuse levelled at Roberts during matches at AG. Once I did ask one person to refrain and just received a load of verbal back. There is no eary answer to this one and sadly many do not see comments about the Welsh/Irish as racist in the same way as they do when aimed at blacks or asians.

Keep sharing your views - there have been previous discussions on here about how much stick ROberts gets just because he is Welsh and many fans support your view.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I think it's ok to abuse the Welsh, Scots and Irish in general, but not use it as an individual insult. I think that's crossing the line.

Why post it on here, why not tell him face to face? I dont think many of our fans are welsh, hence BRISTOL City. But I do agree, giving someone abuse cos there welsh is very racist and wrong!

that is a very good point mabe you should take a leaf out

of your own book and speak to si-der :dunno:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19977

I think your views are spot on, don't be put off by the response from Riazzi G.

There are loads of welsh people living in Bristol and many are city fans.  I frequently hear the same kind of abuse levelled at Roberts during matches at AG.  Once I did ask one person to refrain and just received a load of verbal back.  There is no eary answer to this one and sadly many do not see comments about the Welsh/Irish as racist in the same way as they do when aimed at blacks or asians.

Keep sharing your views - there have been previous discussions on here about how much stick ROberts gets just because he is Welsh and many fans support your view.

No I agree it is racism, but my point is do something about it yourself!

At Brentford, last season, A guy shouted a racist comment about the asian referee and as I anglo-asian myself I gave him a look that could kill and he immediately apologised. I could have told the steward but I think the guy had learnt his lesson because he looked stupid to all those around him.

No I agree it is racism, but my point is do something about it yourself!

At Brentford, last season, A guy shouted a racist comment about the asian referee and as I anglo-asian myself I gave him a look that could kill and he immediately apologised. I could have told the steward but I think the guy had learnt his lesson because he looked stupid to all those around him.

Sorry yes I agree, but not always easy to do and it doesn't always work. Reporting to a steward doesn't normally get you any where and saying something yourself can be difficult, as I said above, tried it once and just got a load of abuse back.

Guest N1 Jim

Have heard people saying Roberts wishes he was black as a negative.

What can u do- argue with everyone you meet. Spend half the game complaining to stewards.

End of the day if he looked more interested and scored 30 goals last season there would be none of this idiocy.

To be honest thought it was cool re his non celebration when he scored against Cardiff. What would you do in your footy dreams if you scored against City in front of the Atyeo?

i think roberts is a cracking player and does not

deserve the stick he gets, so what if he is welsh

;) he could come from the moon for all i care

as long as he does the bizz on the pitch that is all

that matters.

some people just like having a go at people for the

sake of it :dunno:

It says alot about race relations in Britain that very few of you understand what a racist or racism actually is.

RACISM by its very definition is prejudice or hatred on the grounds of race. The Welsh are not a race in their own right and at the most anti-Welsh sentiments or actions are xenophobic.

I personally believe that the vast majority of anti-Welsh comments are tongue in cheek. I admit, it can be taken too far, but to compare it with racially abusing a black person is ludicrous.

On the Roberts issue, I think many people dislike him because he supports Cardiff, not simply because he is Welsh.

BS4

It says alot about race relations in Britain that very few of you understand what a racist or racism actually is.

RACISM by its very definition is prejudice or hatred on the grounds of race.  The Welsh are not a race in their own right and at the most anti-Welsh sentiments or actions are xenophobic.

I personally believe that the vast majority of anti-Welsh comments are tongue in cheek.  I admit, it can be taken too far, but to compare it with racially abusing a black person is ludicrous.

Anyone who has ever been on the end of any sort of abuse based on prejudice will tell you that it is a pretty nasty thing to go through.

On the Roberts issue, I think many people dislike him because he supports Cardiff, not simply because he is Welsh.

Wouldn't they call him a Cardiff #### then ?

Every few months we have this argument and somebody salways brings up the "is it actually racism" question.

Who gives a damn whether you call it racism or whatever ? It is wrong and moronic to have a go at someone because they are Welsh or Irish or whatever. It is not a ludicrous comparison at all, at the end of the day you have some jerk thinking he is better than someone else because of an accident of birth. Its all part of the same thing, and the people who say these things are farking morons.

Guest dez_gimred
I dont think many of our fans are welsh, hence BRISTOL City

what a dumb comment..

you obviously havnt noticed the fans on here from Birmingham, London etc..let alone the USA..

:dunno:

thats irrelevant, If you call Roberts a Welsh #####, that's racist!

Do you really believe that?

Is the 'welsh' not just the obvious way of singling him out? The '#####' is the insult.

Am i racist if i say "Charlotte Church, welsh superstar" ?

No, she probably plays on it.

Am i racist if i say "Charlotte Church, welsh ####" ?

No, but i am being offensive and derogatory and bang out of order.

Are you offended by being sometimes labelled Asian? I very much doubt it. If i couple the asain with ######, then fair enough spark me out because i'll probably deserve it, but i certainly wouldn't call it racist.

There is nothing to be ashamed about if your welsh and therefor being called welsh is not the problem, nor racist. Calling him a ######, #### etc on the other hand is.

Who gives a damn whether you call it racism or whatever ? It is wrong and moronic to have a go at someone because they are Welsh or Irish or whatever. It is not a ludicrous comparison at all, at the end of the day you have some jerk thinking he is better than someone else because of an accident of birth. Its all part of the same thing, and the people who say these things are farking morons.

I agree it is moronic and just plain ignorance if your beat line of attack is to just call someone a pr!ck (although sometimes emotions run high) but in this day and age the issue of what is racist has never been more important due to the far tougher fines, banning orders and custodial sentences for those offences deemed to be of a racist nature.

I think it's ok to abuse the Welsh, Scots and Irish in general, but not use it as an individual insult.  I think that's crossing the line.

So would it be OK to bad mouth Jews, blacks, and Muslims in general? Insulting a whole race or religion is exactly what racism/sectarianism is all about. Being Irish myself I have friends I'll have banter on an individual basis but if anyone has a go at the Irish in general well that really is when the line is crossed. Sure most Welsh baiting can be brushed off as banter but whilst following City at Welsh grounds I've been unfortunate enough to witness City fans go from chanting "sheep-shaggers" to singing "No surrender to the IRA!" (which more about being pro-loyalist/BNP/NF rather than any stance again the IRA and certainly has nothing to do with following BCFC).

Personally I don't like the anti-Welsh stuff even though most of it just banter. And there are plenty of Welsh fans that do follow Bristol City. Just as there are plenty Irish fans that do too.

Was at newport happened to have the idiots infront of me slagging the English off every 2 seconds even the 8 year old son was doing it.

So what?

if hes not professional enough and gorwn up enough to ignore those idiots then he shouldn't be a footballer. its all part and parcel it comes with the massive pay packet grin and bear it a lot worse goes on than people getting called Welsh!

Was at newport happened to have the idiots infront of me slagging the English off every 2 seconds even the 8 year old son was doing it.

So what?

if hes not professional enough and gorwn up enough to ignore those idiots then he shouldn't be a footballer. its all part and parcel it comes with the massive pay packet grin and bear it a lot worse goes on than people getting called Welsh!

oh right... so when england play abroad and the black players are given abuse, this is ok and they should take it cus thats what thier payed for???

leave it out... No player should have to put up with it.. Either way you look at it, it is rascicm.. And if your caught saying either you can be arested for it by law..

It is bang out.

I'm not changing the subject, if you get caught for either, it is an arrestable offence.. regardless of what you say.. just merley making a point about they are both arrestable and ban able under the same offence..

check your argument.

when racists hurl their abuse at players, they seem to be

unaware that these same people who they try to belittle

and insult so cowardly, earn and merit better lifestyles

than their own. or maybe not. maybe they realise that if

they weren't so worthless themselves, they too, could aspire

to better things.

not a hope in hell. easier and lazier to find someone else

responsible for all their problems.

apoligies but i really can't understand racism.

Archived