IGNORED

Kieffer Moore - Signed for Wigan

Coppello

6 minutes ago, Port Red said:

As far as I am aware however the Reid, Flint, Bryan and Kelly sales all fall into the 2018/19 year from a FFP perspective with only Eisa sold in the current period (19/20).

As such we have 2 more seasons before the 18/19 season drops off after which we could find ourselves needing to sell to meet FFP if we haven't reached the prem by then.  As Mr P pointed out we have assets to sell in a year or 2 if needs be and as such I'd expect us to have a good go of it this year and next. 

Yes, pretty sure they were all post 31/5/18 and pre 31/5/19. 

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, pretty sure they were all post 31/5/18 and pre 31/5/19. 

Don’t think it’s that cut and dry. The Kelly money will likely fall into the coming seasons figures, to help balance the cash. They’re unlikely to pile all Reid, Flint, Bryan and Kelly in one season as it would damage next seasons figures. 

51 minutes ago, James54De said:

Don’t think it’s that cut and dry. The Kelly money will likely fall into the coming seasons figures, to help balance the cash. They’re unlikely to pile all Reid, Flint, Bryan and Kelly in one season as it would damage next seasons figures. 

No, Kelly moved straight away to mitigate risk of having a player transfer pending (e.g. contract put in the drawer all signed) and getting injured in u21 tourney. So will fall into 18/19. 

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But we have a £10-15m overspend per season before we buy or sell anyone!!  The harsh reality of our finances I'm afraid.  We can’t go mad.

We can’t count Kelly’s £6m add-ons until they actually happen, if they happen.  Believed to be linked to full international caps, which may not happen for years if at all.

You can bet Kalas, Dasilva (JD), Szmodics and Bentley all had decent signing on fees, agent fees too...and I suspect several existing players have received their annual contractual payments too.

We are in a much better financial position that most in our division, but we lost £25m in 17/18!!!

I’m a bit of a broken record on this subject....sorry. ?

Some of our fans will never appreciate this and will continue to moan about SL not opening his wallet or having no ambition. 

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could try to be creative- of course it takes 2 clubs to do so, I don't know but idea- offer Burnley a loan with obligation to buy for say Vydra.

Good player, but hasn't worked out there, doesn't suit their style and they don't suit his, step up- all of them combined meant that is the case. The advantage of a loan with obligation for us is we know we have something in place, Burnley know they have a profit and saving down the track and plus our £25m loss from 2017/18 drops off the figures. Given he's a good player if we don't go up in a year or 2, we can surely sell thereby removing a big earner, likely turning a profit on book value and removing some amortisation plus of course big wages.

I do think another striker needed- think most of us do- but that £25m loss from 2017/18 still has to be kept in mind. Of course we surely have some saleable assets, but then the transfer market in the Championship seems somewhat less buoyant this summer, certainly in terms of big splashes so far, so that outbound market for us may have reduced a bit!

Its an ok shout i suppose what worries me is vydra Hogan and the likes have all had a lot of clubs recently after having only one good goalscoring season but yes you could be right if it dont work out we could send them back.

21 hours ago, chinapig said:

I'm inclined to wait and see how a player performs rather than judge him on how famous he is.

You're just an old spoilsport china!  :)

13 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Its an ok shout i suppose what worries me is vydra Hogan and the likes have all had a lot of clubs recently after having only one good goalscoring season but yes you could be right if it dont work out we could send them back.

Vydra has had a better overall track record, making him more consistent than Hogan IMO- less of a risk I reckon.

Hogan has had injuries- that makes him more of a risk than Vydra for me.

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Been told from a semi reliable source (told me about Kalas moving to Bristol and signing but also that Hogan was joining in January) that Moore will sign for £3.5m rising to £4m. 

So, if Moore is the striker MA hopes to get in by Sunday, who’s the proven no9 he wants by deadline day?  Genuine question, not to you RD!!

If this does happen I would get excited if it was to play him with another striker.  Not convinced he’s a lone-striker.

Eliasson might be happy!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, if Moore is the striker MA hopes to get in by Sunday, who’s the proven no9 he wants by deadline day?  Genuine question, not to you RD!!

If this does happen I would get excited if it was to play him with another striker.  Not convinced he’s a lone-striker.

Eliasson might be happy!

There is every danger that Moore is the ‘proven 9’ that Ashton talks about. Not proven at this level granted.  Now the season is so close I would take Moore but a few weeks ago I’d be disappointed. Says a lot I guess 

It is impossible to come up with a no 9 who is proven at this level who we can get. Every name I come up with is either too expensive, too high wages or if he left his current club would probably go somewhere bigger than us.

Of course I could be wrong and we could pay £15m and £30k a week to Oli McBurnie but I just can’t see it.  

It’s definitely a puzzle and I can only conclude that Ashton talks about a 9 proven in league one or another (foreign) league. 

4 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

We are getting 2 strikers I believe-Moore and a pacey goalscorer. So we will have Famara & Moore competing for target man place, Weimann & Nketiah (or target lower down the list if he goes to Germany) competing for other slot and then semenyo making up the 5. Would be pretty happy with that

So, are we playing two up top?

What about Moore AND Diedhiou, ala Djuric and Diedhiou v Brum in 17/18?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Guess Johnson wants as many options as possible. Having the one target man severely limited us last season as fammy couldn’t be rested or dropped when off form. No idea how good Moore is but he certainly looks the part physically

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Eliasson might be happy!

Not sure that’s right Dave

My understanding was he was unsure if we’d have a new signing by Sunday and no indication it was a forward

But said we need a 9 ((But at no point said proven) by the end of the window

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My understanding was he was unsure if we’d have a new signing by Sunday and no indication it was a forward

That’s why I'm confused.

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Definitely said “a proven nine”, and sounded very optimistic about someone in before Sunday. 

If Kieffer Moore is our proven 9 then I am completely & utterly underwhelmed. He was released by Yeovil for goodness sake. I know players can develop & improve but his record suggests that the pedigree just isn't there. £3.5m for a 6ft 5 lump with limited talent stinks of desperation to me.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could be one option.

Birmingham felt like quite a specific game/opposition though, unsure about replication of success at this level with it as a regular plan A for example.

Flies in the face of what we've seemingly been building towards too:

Maenpaa and Bentley

Webster and Kalas

Da Silva

Pack's role becoming pivotal, the ability to break the lines that I believe Walsh has in him and indeed an increased prominence for Brownhill.

Eliasson, O'Dowda, Paterson and Szmodics

Weimann

Plus- er- Moore. Possibly paired with Diedhiou- doesn't really mesh IMO, stylistically. The latter especially!

14 minutes ago, Cardy said:

If Kieffer Moore is our proven 9 then I am completely & utterly underwhelmed. He was released by Yeovil for goodness sake. I know players can develop & improve but his record suggests that the pedigree just isn't there. £3.5m for a 6ft 5 lump with limited talent stinks of desperation to me.

I think you need to realise that players improve. He’s a target man and was released at 22 years old. He’s 26 now and has just proven that he has improved vastly from his Yeovil days by succeeding at the same level he had previously failed at.

It seems odd that you would focus on where he has failed when you could focus on where he has succeeded since then. 

A target man will especially improve after his early 20’s.

There are plenty of examples of players who have improved after 22. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think you need to realise that players improve. He’s a target man and was released at 22 years old. He’s 26 now and has just proven that he has improved vastly from his Yeovil days by succeeding at the same level he had previously failed at.

It seems odd that you would focus on where he has failed when you could focus on where he has succeeded since then. 

.....and sometimes a player finds a fit at a given club.

Not saying I'm excited by this in pure player terms, but am hugely intrigued how he would fit in.  As always, proof will be in the watching, not on what the stats page of Wikipedia says now.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Released as a centre half as well wasn’t he? 

1 minute ago, James54De said:

Released as a centre half as well wasn’t he? 

He was a striker I’m sure.

I find it a bit baffling that anyone would focus on what a player was doing four years ago to dismiss him.

Too tired to think now but off top of my head Pukki and Sharp were average 4-5 years ago 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

.....and sometimes a player finds a fit at a given club.

Not saying I'm excited by this in pure player terms, but am hugely intrigued how he would fit in.  As always, proof will be in the watching, not on what the stats page of Wikipedia says now.

I think if we get more than one then Scott Hogan could well be a possibility on loan. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Might be the odd game, but I'd be surprised if it's a regular thing.

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Spot on andI recall him beating up our defence at Oakwell.  It is a player like this, better version of Duric, that we have been crying out for. Now Hughill gone to QPR I would be delighted if this guy walks in the door 

Archived