IGNORED

Kieffer Moore - Signed for Wigan

Coppello

looking at Brentford's signing of a Polish league striker today for £1.8m, I'd personally be more interested in a European punt than Moore. There seems to be paralysis at Championship level for transfers at the moment, with no one daring to move due to the astronimical fees and wages involved in signing players who don't even really have high reputations at this level.

I'm really hoping we've managed to go a bit under the radar over in mainland Europe with someone a lot more affordable. Fingers crossed

26 minutes ago, Meh said:

He can finish? With his feet?!

Not really seen that for a while in our squad but seems like something we may want to try.  Will be strange to witness if it happens.

? 

Does seem a silly thing to say but I am assuming another striker would come in as well as Moore/Joao to be the “finisher” that we desperately need. 

35 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

? 

Does seem a silly thing to say but I am assuming another striker would come in as well as Moore/Joao to be the “finisher” that we desperately need. 

Exactly. It’s not a choice between someone like Nketiah and Moore/Joao - I think we’re after both.

40 minutes ago, underhanded said:

looking at Brentford's signing of a Polish league striker today for £1.8m, I'd personally be more interested in a European punt than Moore. There seems to be paralysis at Championship level for transfers at the moment, with no one daring to move due to the astronimical fees and wages involved in signing players who don't even really have high reputations at this level.

I'm really hoping we've managed to go a bit under the radar over in mainland Europe with someone a lot more affordable. Fingers crossed

Ligue 1 seems to have cottoned on to the huge transfer fees being paid by certain English clubs. 

We may have to look further away for the bargains now .

42 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

For me a "proven" striker is someone who has proved themselves consistently at this or the level above. 

Now, MA is an intelligent man and picks his words wisely.  For him to actively say proven, I would like to think that they are looking at someone pretty decent ie Vydra, Rhodes, Sharpe (as an example) etc. 

Also, the word proven would rule out NE as he is anything but proven at any level.  He has potential, but he isn't a proven striker.  

This is making my head hurt!!   

À ‘ proven ‘ strike would be ‘ bold ‘ .

41 minutes ago, underhanded said:

I think that puts their spending up to £20m for this window. I know they've received a fair bit in fees but I think they've been the biggest spenders in the Championship this window. Said it before, but with their new ground on the way too, they are looking good for the Premier League sometime soon. 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Ligue 1 seems to have cottoned on to the huge transfer fees being paid by certain English clubs. 

We may have to look further away for the bargains now .

Also think the tv money in France is steadily improving too so teams aren’t as desperate to sell as they were even a few years ago. 

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think that puts their spending up to £20m for this window. I know they've received a fair bit in fees but I think they've been the biggest spenders in the Championship this window. Said it before, but with their new ground on the way too, they are looking good for the Premier League sometime soon. 

Maupay on his way maybe? That said, it's still impressive financial power they seem to have mustered.

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. I think getting Ezria Konsa out and Pontus Jannson in with a fair bit of change to spare was excellent business (Ezri Konsa look a great talent mind). 

I thought they'd be there or thereabouts last season, so expect them to kick on this year

31 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Agreed. I think getting Ezria Konsa out and Pontus Jannson in with a fair bit of change to spare was excellent business (Ezri Konsa look a great talent mind). 

I thought they'd be there or thereabouts last season, so expect them to kick on this year

They have been a bit "streaky" like us over the last couple of seasons. Consistency will be the key and the same for us.

1 hour ago, underhanded said:

Joel Valencia isn't a striker he's a winger.

25 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Joel Valencia isn't a striker he's a winger.

But what's a winger? Often wingers get lumped in with midfield, wide midfield if you will, and that's probably true of most but players like Christian Ronaldo, Arjen Robben and Raheem Sterling are more striker than midfielder. I don't know which Valencia falls into but striker may not be wrong. 

On 30/07/2019 at 13:23, Kid in the Riot said:

The way they have been over the last few years, tells me that it is inevitable that one season, they will make the big step up, some seventy years after their last time in the top league.

My biggest "gripe" if they do, is yet another London club along with the North-West filling the Prem. If only it were us!

36 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Nixon now saying on twitter that Wigan at in for Moore, I know some people thinks he talks tosh but he actually does get quite a bit right.

So if it is not Moore that is coming to us then who the blooming heck will it be?

I'm getting a bit worried about Wigan. clever recruitment so far.

37 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Nixon now saying on twitter that Wigan at in for Moore, I know some people thinks he talks tosh but he actually does get quite a bit right.

I think people need to realise the transfer market changes by the hour. A team may well be in for a player, but that situation can change in a heartbeat. LJ will have several striker options, so technically we’ll be in for all of them, but we’ll only sign one. 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Was thinking the same yesterday after the sterling loan got announced, some savvy signings

Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer and Szmodics look like pretty savvy signings to me as well!

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have a sneaky feeling if we were interested in Moore, he was way down our list.

Or our interest in him was maybe related to whether we were going to get £20million+ for another player. Our targets may have changed as our financial situation has

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:23, Kid in the Riot said:

I like Brentford, think they have recruited well and like the way they play...but its not inconceivable come the end of the transfer window others in our league are saying about us 'I know they've received a fair bit in fees but I think they've been the biggest spenders in the Championship this window. With their new ground now here, they are looking good for the Premier League sometime soon'.

I can dream... 

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Where are they getting their money from ?

They seem to be forking out a pretty penny and for some decent looking signings.

1) New owners

2) Good sales in last couple of years.

3) Young players can often be on lower wages than they appear- Powell leaving will have freed up wages of one of their highest earners, which they were probably assuming they would spend on him. Gibson also gone- one of their higher earners?

4) Within FFP I reckon.

5) On point 4, depends if they are looking to take it right up to the limit or just happy to chug along somewhere within- my money on closer to the former.

A lot less income than us yes, but they also have/had a lot less costs. Teams like that can spend more than often perceived. To a point of course.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Where are they getting their money from ?

They seem to be forking out a pretty penny and for some decent looking signings.

They didn’t get Hugill in the end, did they..? So it’s a sensible alternative. 

It could be a good FFP year for them. Where they can spend without going over but maybe key players contracts running down so may as well have a little go before they need to sell. Point being there could be many factors. 

Personally, think they have done some clever business but not sure it makes them genuine contenders. Think they will be a tough Preston or Millwall type side next season. Should be safe easily enough but without ever really pushing playoff place. Only time will tell

Archived