IGNORED

Weimann has to start in place of Diedhiou

reddogkev

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t rate Weimann. A lot say he can do the job Bobby Reid did but he can’t. He is not as strong, not as quick, not as technically gifted and not as good of a finisher. Stylistically yes he is closer to Reid than Diedhiou is but that doesn’t mean he is close. 

Imo Weimann should be an impact sub when we need a goal. I think Diedhiou needs to be the same in a perfect world but Fam is better up top on his own than Weimann would be imo. What he did at the start of last year was catch people by surprise because he had been a wide player for a few years and he was fresh because of the transfer. That is my opinion anyway. 

Weimann runs a lot, which is great. Can do many different roles and is a very good team player to have to come in. But like you say, he isn't that great on the ball. Not that quick and not very strong. Can have the odd brilliant game but doesn't do it enough. Though in the way we play he is more suited to playing through the middle than Diedhiou imo.

1 hour ago, Der no.2 said:

Weimann’s hat-trick at Shef Utd was outstanding.

I think he is always thinking a step ahead and often, as many have said, makes a lot of runs where no-one has seen him or able to make the pass.

If he played alongside a mobile striker and a midfielder of passing ability (Palmer?) he could bag quite a few goals.

His hat trick was brilliant but even that was as a second striker. I don’t think he can play the lone striker role. Don’t mind him in a two though but probably as back up ti Nketiah if he comes.

Also I should have said I do not rate him as a lone striker or wide player. Think he could score 12-15 in a two but we seem reluctant to play that

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Did it? We didn't score after Famara was substituted and didn't have any shots on target ... what went well in those 10 minutes? 

1. The movement of the team improved.
  2. The retention of the ball.
  3. Leeds had less possession.
  4. City exerted more pressure on players in possession.

All four are improvements if you want them to be. Its a question of approach. I would look at the above as desirable process goals hopefully leading to the outcome goal of are City scoring/conceding less in a longer term of ten minutes. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:
  1. The movement of the team improved.
  2. The retention of the ball.
  3. Leeds had less possession.
  4. City exerted more pressure on players in possession.

All four are improvements if you want them to be. Its a question of approach. I would look at the above as desirable process goals hopefully leading to the outcome goal of are City scoring/conceding less in a longer term of ten minutes. 

To little too late though, easy to have a go when 1-3 down and the other team is just protecting it's lead and has the game in the bag. 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I know this is mentioned on a few other threads, especially the Massengo thread, but Diedhiou has to be dropped from the team and AW should be the focal point of the attack.

In my personal view, Famara is not up to the standard of City anymore, I love him and have said so many times in the past, but he is not good enough for us at this level.

I fail to see what he offers to the team, other than hard work, and would sell him today, even as low as £4million, if another striker was incoming.

Very interested to hear from any of you who would keep FD in the team - what does he bring to the side? 

My thoughts exactly 

14 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

To little too late though, easy to have a go when 1-3 down and the other team is just protecting it's lead and has the game in the bag. 

The improvements I pointed out are long terms. They are specifics in regards how I would like to see BCFC play. The values I would like to see  in my CF would be it has to work very hard = Its a endurance athlete and the principle of we keep the be ball via immediate support. There the CF will have to be showing in spaces in front of the defence and possess good movement.

A technical, fit, mobile, forward … This type of player is different to FD. 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The improvements I pointed out are long terms. They are specifics in regards how I would like to see BCFC play. The values I would like to see  in my CF would be it has to work very hard = Its a endurance athlete and the principle of we keep the be ball via immediate support. There the CF will have to be showing spaces in front of the defence and possess good movement. A technical,l fit, mobile , forward … This type of player is different to FD. 

Fair points I suppose. I don't believe we play in a way that supports Famara and he is a much better player than we allow him to be.

If you have a striker that can score a goal every 2.5 you dont chuck them in the bin imo.

23 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Fair points I suppose. I don't believe we play in a way that supports Famara and he is a much better player than we allow him to be.

If you have a striker that can score a goal every 2.5 you dont chuck them in the bin imo.

Look at the best in the land. These are teams where stars fit into the system. You feel that BCFC should change its system for this player. It already has high lines and pressing are not part of its football with Famara in it, the passing is different, its patterns differ without Famara . I agree he could be improved but its elsewhere, this players movement and technical limitations limit the potential of the team. 

You have made a measurement personal to the player. Its not a team measurement. Those goals can yield less points and concessions can/will be made by other players detrimental to their game. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Look at the best in the land. These are teams where stars fit into the system. You feel that BCFC should change its system for this player. It already has hifgh lines and pressing are not part of its football with Famara in it. I agree he could be improved but its elsewhere, this players movement and technical limitations limit the potential of the team. 

You have made a measurement personal to the player. Its not a team measurement. Those goals can yield less points and concessions can/will be made by other players detrimental to their game. 

I agree to an extent. We lack the talent right across the team to get the best out of our forward line. I'm not sure how changing the striker will change anything. 

Would rather rid the team of pack, COD, Patterson, hunt who bring this team down more than fam. 

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I agree to an extent. We lack the talent right across the team to get the best out of our forward line. I'm not sure how changing the striker will change anything. 

Would rather rid the team of pack, COD, Patterson, hunt who bring this team down more than fam. 

Changing any player can alter how the team attacks, defends, transitions to defence to attack and its set pieces.

It is simply a question of what your team need is and thus player key skill fitting that team need.

Break it down. Starting with the ball at a defenders feet. Generally City go short to feet through each third … Famara doesn't. I can do that through four of the five elements of football in my first sentence. 

The key thing for me is can we pass it from back to top on the deck? Maybe we now can with Massengo, Nagy and whoever else we sign. Forward has a key part to play too in being able to move and being technically good. Weimann for me struggles with the technical side.

Fammy is an average championship striker - a 1 in 3 man. He’s the best striker we have comfortably. But you can’t hit long balls to him all game and expect results. 

Yes we need another striker to compliment or replace him but until then it’s pointless going about how he does shit when you bang long balls to him. 

And the reason things looked better last ten v Leeds was because the game was over and their keeper was crap. 

Can only think a lot of people in this thread have never been to a city away game and seen for them selfs just how good Famara is away from home, the extra space he gets away just suits his game so much more, I do feel sorry for him as most of our fans who only go to home games have never seen him at his best, for me he has to be the first name on the team sheet for Saturday, 

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I know this is mentioned on a few other threads, especially the Massengo thread, but Diedhiou has to be dropped from the team and AW should be the focal point of the attack.

In my personal view, Famara is not up to the standard of City anymore, I love him and have said so many times in the past, but he is not good enough for us at this level.

I fail to see what he offers to the team, other than hard work, and would sell him today, even as low as £4million, if another striker was incoming.

Very interested to hear from any of you who would keep FD in the team - what does he bring to the side? 

Diedhiou is not the problem. It’s how we play him!

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Couldn't agree more. We're desperately short of firepower upfront so what better than to turn to a consistent 4 / 5 goals per season scoring machine?

It'd also solve the problem of him failing to track back picking up the runner when WeeLee sets us up to defend so deep.

Surprised WeeLee hasn't thought of this before ....

11 hours ago, Boston Red said:

The problem is, LJ is too embarrassed to leave out his own record £5.3 million pound signing.

We are really missing Bobby Reid. He came deep to link up play, then with his lungs of steel he would chase and harry defenders all day, and then he would magically appear two yards out for the tap-ins that Fammy is too exhausted to reach these days. Playing next to Reid must have been a centre-forward's dream and Fammy is missing him.

Fammy has looked good in a two - next to Taylor against Stoke in the League Cup, and spectacularly against Preston away last season when Semenyo came on and the two of them changed the game together.

If we go to two up front there is hope for Fammy, but as a lone striker I cannot see it. 

Lungs of Iron surely?

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t rate Weimann. A lot say he can do the job Bobby Reid did but he can’t. He is not as strong, not as quick, not as technically gifted and not as good of a finisher. 

I respectfully disagree. Weimann has played nearly 120 premier league games and over 160 championship games and he is a good finisher ...

the issue with Fam, he is always static to receive the ball which then bounces off of him straight to a defender, when you watched Bamford, he was constantly moving trying to make runs in behind the defence, giving the middlefield an area to pass into which he in turn would bring them into the attack. We seem to sometimes think we got a big man lets lump it to him, but we play our best football on the deck with pass and move

8 hours ago, winsaw said:

Can only think a lot of people in this thread have never been to a city away game and seen for them selfs just how good Famara is away from home, the extra space he gets away just suits his game so much more, I do feel sorry for him as most of our fans who only go to home games have never seen him at his best, for me he has to be the first name on the team sheet for Saturday, 

Agree away from home he can be a valuable asset. Took his goal at Millwall in a good manner, certainly not a tap in. Wasn't there but a lovely goal at WBA. Important in our win at Birmingham last season and would also add his assist at Sheffield United was certainly nicely done.

Yet while I certainly wouldn't sell him, I don't feel we can play our best football with him in the side, at home especially. Good squad player? Absolutely. Ideal starter, especially as a focal point at home? Not for me.

Purely stylistically and also home, Weimann a much better fit IMO.

@REDOXO Feel a bit of both IMO. He has his limitations and especially in a more proactive gameplan but the shape/system does him few favours.

He didn't necessarily play that way in France, @Davefevs refers to this often and lumping it long to him probably doesn't help him- or indeed us.

Could say the shape/system does Pack and Weimann few favours too.

AW is by far the best striker at the club.

He just doesn't have the players around him to florish.

Go look at the Leeds game again, and if you look hard ,watch the 5-6 incredible runs that gave him a great chance to score.

Spot them?

Good, because sadly none of our midfield spotted them, and they were wasted. Totally wasted.

Hence the 'running around a lot' tag.

Hopefully the 2 new mids (and Sammy) will spot them,and play him through.

Put him WITH Fam, spot his runs, and he will score a LOT of goals - possibly the 'mystical 20' everyone dreams of.

The guy is class - it's our current midfield that isn't.

Hopefully that changes very soon.

AW is one heck of a smart footballer.

Archived