IGNORED

Team selection...

spudski

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

Can’t include Leeds in the comparison - selection and tactics were really poor - LJ got that one totally wrong!

True we made some poor choices, but they're still a pretty dominant side at this level. By performances and overall dominance they should probably have by now another 3-5 points!

@Davefevs

Agree. That midfield/front 6 my preferred one too, has been for a while, when all fit again!

The number of injuries is and had been though pretty unbelievable.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I don't think LJ was saying he agreed with you that he got the team selection wrong! More that the players did not do their jobs properly, though he mitigated that with the fact that there were a number of young players playing, more than was ideal.

He went on to say that they would have a break then have double or triple sessions. Fair enough with so many new players and injuries.

He wouldn't say that openly, I agree, but like me was disappointed in the application off the ball, more so defensively.

I picked on Palmer and Eliasson as I believe the rest of the team pretty much applied themselves in all areas of the game.

Messengo worked his socks off covering numerous positions that should have been occupied by others. His movements and vision were a class above. Brownhill played far more cautiously and had the experience to see our weaknesses.

It's an observation that Nagy and an 18 yo Messengo can come in and 'do it' immediately, but two others who have half a season and two seasons experience still struggle to do the basics of keeping shape and organised and aware when off the ball defending.

I feel for the likes of Taylor Moore, as he is overworked more than he should be, because of what's going on in front of him.

Nit picking really...as very pleased with our start overall. Just looking at improvement.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

To a degree...I agree mate.

However...he has been hamstrung with injuries this season.

With a fit DaSilva, Kalas etc, I should imagine our team and shape would look different again.

Statistically Tommy Rowe has been our most consistent player this season. Would he be a starter with a fit DaSilva?

We do have a lot of options when the team is fully fit.

Keeping them all happy right now is not going to be easy.

We went into this game missing three of our best players Kalas, Nagy and Dasilve, two of which are the defensive and midfield "Spine" of our side.

Rowe is doing very well as a stand in left (wing) back. But if we had not loaned out Pring and also possibly Vyner for the season, yesterday, Rowe would have been ideal as a defensive central midfielder to protect the back four. But not loaning them out, could have meant a season without regular league matches under their belts.

Maybe, we have possibly the best squad at the club in forty years, but we are still in a building situation from years of neglecting our Academy. All things considered, a useful point against a team that is badly placed in the league at the moment, simply due to a couple of indifferent results. 

Archived