IGNORED

Preston North End v Bristol City Match Day 9

Septic Peg

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As I asked in my earlier posts - which pubs are full of people wearing Utd and Pool shirts? Do you do a tour of all Bristol pubs when the ‘live’ football is on?! I agree lots go to the pub to watch the big teams play on tv, doesn’t mean they support them though ...

Don't really want to get involved with your debate with up the City but it's a quiet night here in Galway, you know full well that Bristol is rammed with plastic Man U & Liverpool fans though I wouldn't go to as far as to say the pubs are 'absolutely packed' 

8 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Don't really want to get involved with your debate with up the City but it's a quiet night here in Galway, you know full well that Bristol is rammed with plastic Man U & Liverpool fans though I wouldn't go to as far as to say the pubs are 'absolutely packed' 

I’m aware Bristol pubs are busy with people watching ‘live’ football games - but I’m not sure they are ‘fans’ of the clubs on the screen, and I haven’t seen that many wearing Liverpool or Man Yoo shirts, a few, but not that many  - I’ve also read reports that around 5,000 people from Bristol regularly travel to watch Liverpool, Spurs and Leeds games - so if they do that, they aren’t the ones stood in the pub just watching the footy on the telly ...

29 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Being head and shoulders above an opponent is not a foul. And making contact with an opponent is not necessarily a foul either. That picture does not show the first stage of the Preston's players act of jumping. The player does not use his arms to gain leverage, he jumps with his arms up as virtually all do to help generate downward force and explosive movement through the legs. His secondary movement is where his arms come down. 

I am inclined to agree with this post. The Preston's players height was not created by using his opponent to gain it. Baker got himself into a position where he cannot be favourite to defend the ball. It is poor defending.  

Exactly as I saw it, though I got hammered by irate fellow City fans for saying similar yesterday.

Hopefully people have calmed down and removed their BCFC tinted specs a bit now.

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m aware Bristol pubs are busy with people watching ‘live’ football games - but I’m not sure they are ‘fans’ of the clubs on the screen, and I haven’t seen that many wearing Liverpool or Man Yoo shirts, a few, but not that many  - I’ve also read reports that around 5,000 people from Bristol regularly travel to watch Liverpool, Spurs and Leeds games - so if they do that, they aren’t the ones stood in the pub just watching the footy on the telly ...

Don't know about the numbers but 5000 doesn't surprise me, there was always a Man U, Liverpool & Leeds coach picking up at TM but that was a South West thing not just Bristol, also remember seeing a South West Derby supporters coach atTM once!!! when I was a lad Leeds were the best supported 'other team' in Bristol

13 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Don't know about the numbers but 5000 doesn't surprise me, there was always a Man U, Liverpool & Leeds coach picking up at TM but that was a South West thing not just Bristol, also remember seeing a South West Derby supporters coach atTM once!!! when I was a lad Leeds were the best supported 'other team' in Bristol

Know an Everton fan who gets coach up from somewhere in the region.

Part of it is geographical mobility, part of it the ubiquity of the big clubs- well the real big ones- these days. That's before we factor in the many plastics!

7 hours ago, UpTheWhites said:

Another uneducated post on the forum. 

Alan Browne and Josh Brownhill lived together in Preston for two years. They remain good friends and was a harmless celebration. 

Uneducated ?

Back on you , I’d open my eyes Personally 

Maybe you missed how Brownhill shoved him out of his face 

Typical Preston for some seasons

5 hours ago, Akira said:

I fail to see how having your arms on a defenders shoulders, and literally being head and shoulders above the defender, isn't a foul. That picture, in my opinion, says clear foul. 

I've only just watched the replay after watching it live. Baker clearly went to jump but his jump was interrupted as the Preston player forced his shoulders down and at the same time was able to then gain some leverage off of his shoulders. 

If anyone disagrees that it's a foul id challenge them to try and jump when someone is pushing down on your shoulders. 

Foul all day long

3 hours ago, Galway Red said:

I absolutely love Galway, only been the once but loved it.

Intresting debate about local support.

In my year at school, id say there was 20 liverpool fans to say 4 city fans who went to games.

I wouldnt be suprised if there was more manchester united fans combined, use the term fans loosely. in somertset and gloucester, than city and rovers combined.

I expect half of those liverpool fans are now man utd.

I

I like the suggestion from some PNE fans that they, being geographically close to Manchester and Liverpool, lose potential support to the big clubs of those satanic northern cities, while here in Bristol, half a world away from the grim northern football hotbeds, we enjoy the full support of every local with the merest interest in the beautiful game!

Do they have Sky Sports in Preston?

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They are, mostly, not "fans," like you and I, but they are people interested in football who chose to follow a successful and faraway club remotely rather than support the local, lower ranked club by getting themselves to the not-so-well-appointed ground just a few bus stops away and actually pay to watch a team in the flesh. And the wind/rain/cold/tents.

Whether they are turning their noses up at Preston and physically making the short trip to Anfield or Old Trafford, or turning their noses up at Bristol City and following the same clubs from afar via television, both Preston and ourselves lose potential support to the top clubs. I would suggest.

You have to hand it to Preston - on much less income and resources than us, they have got under our skin for six consecutive seasons now. It is not their job to stand aside and hand over the points. There has been an awful lot of whinging and whining from us around the Preston fixture, and pomposity.

We are still yet to match their 7th place finish in the Championship (since we both returned to it in 2015) for all our improvement of late. If we could get as much bang for our buck as they have got from their's, then we would be contesting the play-offs regularly at least. 

Interestingly, Saturday was the first game against Preston since the 4:0 win up there in 2011 that we have gone ahead in a game v them. That was 12 games where we were always only level, or trailing (and they were wasting time and doing their "shithousery," and we were doing our pathetic whining and whinging "it's not fair!")

Preston, with 13k average crowds, a record fee paid out of a modest £1.5m and three top half finishes in this division are a reminder that the oft heard cry around these parts of "we cannot hope to compete" (with the parachute payment and big name clubs) was well-meaning but wrong.

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I've only just watched the replay after watching it live. Baker clearly went to jump but his jump was interrupted as the Preston player forced his shoulders down and at the same time was able to then gain some leverage off of his shoulders. 

If anyone disagrees that it's a foul id challenge them to try and jump when someone is pushing down on your shoulders. 

Foul all day long

I absolutely love Galway, only been the once but loved it.

It's grand

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, he was a homer from 36 minutes onwards ???

Seriously though, a lot of Refs don’t understand the game, they wouldn’t know what to take into account and what not to.  Interesting that this was the same ref who gave a pen against Liam Walsh at QPR.  Admittedly Walsh put his hands on Wells’s back, and Wells stopped moving away from goal making it look like a push.  A ref who understood the game would spot that.  On the flip side, I’d be bollocking Walsh for putting his hands on Wells.

I love it if more (any?) ex-pros went into officiating, but it doesn’t help when current players like James Vaughan gives on twitter and says things like “game’s gone” or words to that effect on Hayden’s red card this afternoon.

Refs and clubs need to work together.  Refs need to understand the game and players need to understand the current rules / laws.

There was a referee, I think in Sweden, who gave a particularly contentious decision in a game (I forget the details) but IIRC he requested an interview after the game where he explained his decision process for the incident.

Edit- he did it on social media, not an interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/11/swedish-referee-mohammed-al-hakim-facebook

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I like the suggestion from some PNE fans that they, being geographically close to Manchester and Liverpool, lose potential support to the big clubs of those satanic northern cities, while here in Bristol, half a world away from the grim northern football hotbeds, we enjoy the full support of every local with the merest interest in the beautiful game!

Do they have Sky Sports in Preston?

They are, mostly, not "fans," like you and I, but they are people interested in football who chose to follow a successful and faraway club remotely rather than support the local, lower ranked club by getting themselves to the not-so-well-appointed ground just a few bus stops away and actually pay to watch a team in the flesh. And the wind/rain/cold/tents.

Whether they are turning their noses up at Preston and physically making the short trip to Anfield or Old Trafford, or turning their noses up at Bristol City and following the same clubs from afar via television, both Preston and ourselves lose potential support to the top clubs. I would suggest.

You have to hand it to Preston - on much less income and resources than us, they have got under our skin for six consecutive seasons now. It is not their job to stand aside and hand over the points. There has been an awful lot of whinging and whining from us around the Preston fixture, and pomposity.

We are still yet to match their 7th place finish in the Championship (since we both returned to it in 2015) for all our improvement of late. If we could get as much bang for our buck as they have got from their's, then we would be contesting the play-offs regularly at least. 

Interestingly, Saturday was the first game against Preston since the 4:0 win up there in 2011 that we have gone ahead in a game v them. That was 12 games where we were always only level, or trailing (and they were wasting time and doing their "shithousery," and we were doing our pathetic whining and whinging "it's not fair!")

Preston, with 13k average crowds, a record fee paid out of a modest £1.5m and three top half finishes in this division are a reminder that the oft heard cry around these parts of "we cannot hope to compete" (with the parachute payment and big name clubs) was well-meaning but wrong.

You Preston fans  seem to  be posting more on here than your own forums !

9 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Fantastic post. 

Saw this on PNE forum thought some people might like a Preston fans overview. 

"Thought Massengo was okay but not as good as I was expecting him to be given the rave reviews I've been seeing and the talk of him captaining France in future! Weimann and Semenyo were very good, Bauer barely won a defensive header all afternoon against Semenyo. Rowe did alright considering he's out of position, Hunt was solid. Bentley didn't have much to do really and nothing he could do for any of the goals.

Thought Johnson got his tactics spot on, you pressed really well and thought you deserved the win in all honesty. 

Personally, thought the first goal was a foul on Rudd by Moore, 2nd was bizarre from Rudd and the third was a snapshot from 7 yards out, harsh to blame Rudd for that imo.

Both our penalties looked stonewall at the time and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Thought on another day it could've been a foul by Bauer for our 3rd but the referee gave absolutely nothing all day for those sort of challenges so at least he was consistently poor.

Clear foul by Fammy on Bauer too, two handed shove which caused Bauer to slip."

Archived