IGNORED

Stewards (Vs Charlton Athletic)

And Its Smith

• Admin
23 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Didn’t see that but did see stewards chuck out two Charlton fans after they scored. Seemed very harsh to me. They were guilty of running down some steps and celebrating

I noticed that too, it wasn't like they went on the pitch 

Sadly not sensible stewarding

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Didn’t see that but did see stewards chuck out two Charlton fans after they scored. Seemed very harsh to me. They were guilty of running down some steps and celebrating

noticed as well. ridiculous stewarding, and something to genuinely feel embarassed about. Not allowed to go bananas when your team go 1-0 up away from home, what has football come to ? 

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

noticed as well. ridiculous stewarding, and something to genuinely feel embarassed about. Not allowed to go bananas when your team go 1-0 up away from home, what has football come to ? 

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

I noticed that too, it wasn't like they went on the pitch 

Sadly not sensible stewarding

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

To me, it seemed like they were forced to go back up but then started to become aggravated & cause a scene.

12 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

To me, it seemed like they were forced to go back up but then started to become aggravated & cause a scene.

I would be aggravated as well if someone tried to stop me celebrating a goal!

Never did it look like they were going to incur onto the pitch, it was a sledgehammer reaction that showed no awareness or common sense. Any resulting scene was entirely the fault of the stewards who bundled aggressively into what appeared to be two blokes whose only crime was running down some steps to celebrate closer to their players. 

Had that been a team such as Millwall or another such spiky fixture, I'm pretty certain the situation could have escalated further directly as a result of our stewards. 

39 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Correct. One was actively fighting the stewards and punches were thrown.

I suspect he might have been nicked for his foolish behaviour.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Correct. One was actively fighting the stewards and punches were thrown.

I suspect he might have been nicked for his foolish behaviour.

Let's get it right though - he didn't run down to swing punches, he didn't run down to even get onto the pitch. He went down to celebrate, something that happens quite naturally when you're watching your team. The stewards got this situation very wrong. It could have very easily turned into something messier and they should count themselves fortunate it didn't. If there was any foolish behaviour, it came from them, not the Charlton chaps. 

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Let's get it right though - he didn't run down to swing punches, he didn't run down to even get onto the pitch. He went down to celebrate, something that happens quite naturally when you're watching your team. The stewards got this situation very wrong. It could have very easily turned into something messier and they should count themselves fortunate it didn't. If there was any foolish behaviour, it came from them, not the Charlton chaps. 

We've no idea what went on, other than saying one definitely did try to fight the stewards - which is daft.

Maybe they were asked to return to their seats but were drunk and aggressive. Something that would get a City fan ejected from the ground, ket alone an away supporter.

All I'm saying is it wasn't a wise move to try to take on 4 or 5 stewards and have a scrap. Suggests to me that alcohol might've played a big factor.

6 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Sorry but last time I checked punching a steward is pretty foolish unless British law has changed recently.

They made no attempt to enter the playing area and were not taunting City fans. They simply ran through the waste of space plastic seat segregation ( itself pointless given the access ways must remain clear,) to where the scorer stopped to celebrate.

Had our stewards any sense they'll have let them shake the fella's hand, pat his back or whatever they intended and they'll have gone straight back to their seats. Our stewards came across as joyless jobworths.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

They made no attempt to enter the playing area and were not taunting City fans. They simply ran through the waste of space plastic seat segregation ( itself pointless given the access ways must remain clear,) to where the scorer stopped to celebrate 

Had our stewards any sense they'll have let them shake the fellas hand, pat his back or whatever they intended and they'll have gone straight back to their seats. Our stewards came across as joyless jobworths.

at last, common sense prevails! I'm astounded there are posters on here blaming a pair of Charlton fans for getting excited! I'm certain that their spirits had been buoyed by a few of our local ciders, but since when has that been a crime - one of the joys of football is the tradition of having a few pints with your mates prior, especially for an away game.

Crazy that our moronic approach to stewarding is being defended. 

Across the country atmosphere at football grounds is flatlining, and this is one of the key reasons. 

This has been touched on on another thread - the only reason I'm not posting on there is because it's not really on subject, and I don't want "bottle thrown" to become the legacy of last night's game, especially after the threads that dominated after Luton!

But it's reassuring that I'm not alone in getting increasingly fed up with the miserable experience that our stewards create, especially when arriving at the ground nowadays. @BTRFTG describes them as joyless jobsworths on that thread, which is a pretty good description I'd say.

At the park end of the Dolman, where I enter, they are worse than that, bordering  aggressive. I really don't get this 'open your jacket' thing we have; does any other club do that - certainly none I've been to with City this season. And, in the ten yards as you approach then all you get is a bellowed instruction and a line of stewards who, quite literally, jostle you as you try to walk past. 

And then, go through the turnstile and another line of miserable looking individuals who now seem to be instructed to stare closely at everyone, and disbelievingly at anyone who has the temerity to be using anything other than an adult ticket.

Contrast Brentford, where you're greeted with smiles, "welcome to Brentford", high fives, even hugs from one steward this year. At Luton they were welcoming, happy to have a joke and a smile as they checked people over, in fact I can't think of anywhere I've been this season where I've been made to feel so unwelcome as I have arriving at Ashton Gate.

It's such a shame, because other than that the "match day experience" at Ashton Gate is now so good.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

I would be aggravated as well if someone tried to stop me celebrating a goal!

Never did it look like they were going to incur onto the pitch, it was a sledgehammer reaction that showed no awareness or common sense. Any resulting scene was entirely the fault of the stewards who bundled aggressively into what appeared to be two blokes whose only crime was running down some steps to celebrate closer to their players. 

Had that been a team such as Millwall or another such spiky fixture, I'm pretty certain the situation could have escalated further directly as a result of our stewards. 

They were not prevented from celebrating a goal, they could have done that in their seats. They chose not to do that and instead headed towards the playing surface which could have seen the situation escalate. Tensions are often high in the home areas following conceding a goal, imagine had they entered the pitch? I'm sure you would be the first to complain that they wasn't stopped. 

The action of them running towards the pitch, entering a no go area which is clearly defined suggests that its a real possibility they may enter the playing area. 

Considering the issues we have had with away fans in the past, the correct course of action was taken. The stewards are not to blame for those fans actions, they are solely responsible for their own actions. If a steward was assaulted then the blame lies firmly with the perpetrator and I hope they receive the appropriate sentance and banned from all football grounds. No one should go to work and be assaulted for doing their job. Never.

I thought the first charlton fan jumped over the gate at the bottom of the steps. That's when the stewards grabbed him. Then his mates tried to help him out and they started punching so more stewards piled in. Perhaps the steward thought he was going to run on the pitch. Maybe @JulieH could confirm this.

32 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

at last, common sense prevails! I'm astounded there are posters on here blaming a pair of Charlton fans for getting excited! I'm certain that their spirits had been buoyed by a few of our local ciders, but since when has that been a crime - one of the joys of football is the tradition of having a few pints with your mates prior, especially for an away game.

Crazy that our moronic approach to stewarding is being defended. 

Across the country atmosphere at football grounds is flatlining, and this is one of the key reasons. 

Astounding. Being drunk is not and never should be an excuse for such bad behaviour. The fact they possibly drank so much that they were not in control of their actions makes it worse for them. 

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Astounding. Being drunk is not and never should be an excuse for such bad behaviour. The fact they possibly drank so much that they were not in control of their actions makes it worse for them. 

Bloody hell, I'm not surprised you've got a permanent scowl in your profile :D having a drink at football and going nuts when scoring should not be viewed as criminal acts. Lighten up mate! 

My experience is I create no bother for them so they don't make any bother for me. Yes they can come across as a little aggressive but I otherwise people don't listen to instructions that are given.

Each game the stewards always have a little laugh and giggle with my 4 year old child and they are all familiar with him in the area we sit.

6 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Bloody hell, I'm not surprised you've got a permanent scowl in your profile :D having a drink at football and going nuts when scoring should not be viewed as criminal acts. Lighten up mate! 

Being drunk at a football ground is an offence is it not?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a few drinks every game and even more at bigger games, I went nuts last night when we scored a 98th minute winner but you didn't see me breaking the law and assaulting stewards. 

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Being drunk at a football ground is an offence is it not?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a few drinks every game and even more at bigger games, I went nuts last night when we scored a 98th minute winner but you didn't see me breaking the law and assaulting stewards. 

So?

It's one of those daft laws isn't it- I agree no excuse for assault but being drunk in a football ground- can add to the atmosphere if anything. 5.30pm kickoff=an extra 2-3 hrs of drinking time.

Imagine if we were, well not just we, but any club, eject or ban anyone who was drunk in a football ground?? How drunk is drunk too! Just a joke- not saying it wasn't perhaps necessary when brought in, but times have moved on significantly since that era.

Think the club were on edge a bit because of Saturday, just an opinion though.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

So?

It's one of those daft laws isn't it- I agree no excuse for assault but being drunk in a football ground- can add to the atmosphere if anything. 5.30pm kickoff=an extra 2-3 hrs of drinking time.

Think the club were on edge a bit because of Saturday, just an opinion though.

no more likes for the day, but nailed it as ever Mr P!

26 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The action of them running towards the pitch, entering a no go area which is clearly defined suggests that its a real possibility they may enter the playing area. 

Bull. By the same argument fans walking to the front if the upper tier of the Landsdown might throw themselves or items onto the fans below, so close it down...  They were never going on the pitch.

Moreover, had it been The Wall and had they gone over the top you wouldn"t gave seen the cowardly stewards backsides for dust.

Archived