IGNORED

We’ve reached the crossroads - January transfer window

Fordy62

On 24/12/2019 at 18:25, Mendip City said:

I’m completely with you on a small, high quality squad. That gives the young players a (to use the buzzword) “pathway”. It’s a pathway to prove you are or aren’t good enough.  That’s interesting for us fans. Right now the pathway is clogged with the Bailey Wright’s, Marley Watkins’ of this world. Not their fault but the squad is too big and they, amongst others, are out of favour with the regime. 
Interesting point about O’Leary, he only got his chance out of desperation... even then Johnson tried to replace him with that clown from New Zealand. Same with Moore, only got his chance because we were literally out of defenders... where would both players have been without desperation, released probably. How many players are kept hanging around so long that they go off the boil or we’re never going to be good enough? 
I’d love to see more of our own players blooded but what really annoys me is all the praise heaped on themselves by the club (SL, MA, LJ) about development of youth.... there’s no production line and the manager isn’t challenged to use youth (otherwise surely he wouldn’t be allowed a squad of this size). 
I've always thought it would be great to see manager’s objectives - obviously something about first team progress but there must be other challenges around balancing home grown and signings from outside the club. 

Best post on here for a very long time..

Nailed it.

On 22/12/2019 at 14:53, mozo said:

I genuinely believe that we have the strongest squad we've seen here for a long time. It needs to be harnessed!

I agree, and LJ should by now have moulded his team around the best of them.

He hasn't and is still ******* about with personnel and formations.

12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree, and LJ should by now have moulded his team around the best of them.

He hasn't and is still ******* about with personnel and formations.

It really is as simple as that. 
exactly what his old man did after a few years, constant shuffling of players, formations, like-for-like “clubs in the bag” signings. For me it’s an argument to regularly change coaches and freshen up the message and thinking.  It doesn’t mean you’re ripping up the “plan” or “philosophy”. Bristol City have made it hard by over-playing the former player, family ties, emotional side of it. Ironically considering the general direction of the club, the manager/head coach role has become more than a pure business decision. 

Archived