IGNORED

We’ve reached the crossroads - January transfer window

Fordy62

January is fast approaching. Performances are as bad as they were under SOD and to be honest, show not much sign of improvement. 

You’re a billionaire owner of a club you support, the coach wants some (more) heavy funding in January, but isn’t performing to the level you’d like. Do you:

1. splash the cash and back him?

2. save the cash and see how he gets on without funding and a the current very talented squad?

3. get someone else in and either back them or see how they get on with the squad?

If I were SL/JL I’d have a very itchy trigger finger right now. But what would you do?

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

January is fast approaching. Performances are as bad as they were under SOD and to be honest, show not much sign of improvement. 

You’re a billionaire owner of a club you support, the coach wants some (more) heavy funding in January, but isn’t performing to the level you’d like. Do you:

2. save the cash and see how he gets on without funding and a the current very talented squad?

3. get someone else in and either back them or see how they get on with the squad?

If I were SL/JL I’d have a very itchy trigger finger right now. But what would you do?

Thank lee for his efforts, then get rid and let the new man have a proper go in the summer 

I think Johnson has earned the right to finish the season. One good streak and we're back on track. Plus with a striker on board and a genuine left back fit and playing, LJ then has no excuse not to perform.

Buy a striker or two. Get to the end of the season. Reassess.

If we finish lower than 8th, I'd be tempted to look elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I think Johnson has earned the right to finish the season. One good streak and we're back on track. Plus with a striker on board and a genuine left back fit and playing, LJ then has no excuse not to perform.

Nail on head. 

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

January is fast approaching. Performances are as bad as they were under SOD and to be honest, show not much sign of improvement

These highlighted bits show the problem with the Johnson out brigade.

We have had multiple years of improvement in terms of league position. The only thing that really matters. It's a fact, we're not going to pull the trigger based on 3 poor performances and results.

We've consistently out performed our budget in comparison to the rest of the teams in the league. We're competing with parachute payments and clubs selling their grounds to themselves. SL and JL see what we see, they won't be enjoying the football, but they like we have known for months we need forwards to fix this.

It's not talented up front. It isn't. Hence the need for two forwards.

So based on the evidence of multiple years, and what they would have been told over and over about the need for forwards, why would they sack him? What reason would they have to sack a manager who has done really well for us? Why bring in someone who might want to change the entire squad, when you can see if the current one succeeds when you bring in 2-3 players?

It makes no sense to sack LJ from the boards point of view. None at all.

Now if the team fails after we get the forwards in, assuming they don't both get injured for the rest of the season immediately, then you can look at it. To suggest they do it before then, is pathetic.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

We have had multiple years of improvement in terms of league position. The only thing that really matters. It's a fact, we're not going to pull the trigger based on 3 poor performances and results.

We've consistently out performed our budget in comparison to the rest of the teams in the league. We're competing with parachute payments and clubs selling their grounds to themselves. SL and JL see what we see, they won't be enjoying the football, but they like we have known for months we need forwards to fix this.

So based on the evidence of multiple years, and what they would have been told over and over about the need for forwards, why would they sack him? What reason would they have to sack a manager who has done really well for us? Why bring in someone who might want to change the entire squad, when you can see if the current one succeeds when you bring in 2-3 players?

I think you make a very good point but... it's not just 3 bad results/performances is it? 4 defeats in 6, and poor performances for much of the season, especially at home, and even in some games we won.

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Now if the team fails after we get the forwards in, assuming they don't both get injured for the rest of the season immediately, then you can look at it. To suggest they do it before then, is pathetic.

He signed engvall and Watkins that's enough for the chop in my book.

Nothing will happen. 
We will get the usual spout of ‘its tough’ and ‘got to get the right one’ sh1te that every January window comes with. 
We may sign a couple but this squad is massive and surely needs thinning too. 
I’d settle for losing an ineffective ( imo ) Brownhill and some fringe players to balance a couple of money signings. 
But i cant see it. 
Here’s to finishing a steady 10th again by May. ?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think today is a collective “not good enough”, head-coach, assistant coaches and players.  The response we expected at home to Blackburn, after Millwall, has not come....are we defaulting to the mean?

I genuinely believe that we have the strongest squad we've seen here for a long time. It needs to be harnessed!

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Get shot now. Get a new man in....give him the rest of this season and the summer to get his house in order, and hopefully we may have an enjoyable season next year 

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just now, Highguy said:

Life gives you lemons you make lemonade instead of sucking the sour lemons my friend 

But lemonade made from real lemons is horrible and bitter.

As we might all be, if we endure another winless run with players we know CAN do better.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think you make a very good point but... it's not just 3 bad results/performances is it? 4 defeats in 6, and poor performances for much of the season, especially at home, and even in some games we won.

Yeah but none of these people were saying this three games ago. It just happens after a loss.

The performances this season.. is exactly why we need those forwards in. That's why I think we're performing at or above expectations. And INSIDE the club, they're going to be less reactionary than we are.

After Afobe got hurt... well it's not been fun to watch except in rare patches. The genuine criticism of LJ and the coaching and recruitment team is, why do we fall apart if one on loan striker gets hurt or if we go a goal down?

We  looked like complete dog against Leeds, we then brought in Afobe and it starts clicking. It's exactly what LJ can point to as evidence as why he can fix things. Look, I signed this striker, we played well, won games, he got hurt and I can do it again.

This isn't a situation where we're ignoring the problem. Or we don't all know what it is. We just cannot fix it until the window opens. And the board will give LJ an opportunity to get it right, because he's got things right consistently for them.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

Yeah but none of these people were saying this three games ago. It just happens after a loss.

The performances this season.. is exactly why we need those forwards in. That's why I think we're performing at or above expectations. And INSIDE the club, they're going to be less reactionary than we are.

After Afobe got hurt... well it's not been fun to watch except in rare patches. The genuine criticism of LJ and the coaching and recruitment team is, why do we fall apart if one on loan striker gets hurt or if we go a goal down?

We  looked like complete dog against Leeds, we then brought in Afobe and it starts clicking. It's exactly what LJ can point to as evidence as why he can fix things. Look, I signed this striker, we played well, won games, he got hurt and I can do it again.

This isn't a situation where we're ignoring the problem. Or we don't all know what it is. We just cannot fix it until the window opens. And the board will give LJ an opportunity to get it right, because he's got things right consistently for them.

And I agree with you that we should back Johnson to sign a striker and see out the season. But we need to see a push for the play offs, no more excuses. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

And I agree with you that we should back Johnson to sign a striker and see out the season. But we need to see a push for the play offs, no more excuses. 

Yeah if the recruitment up front fails again, with 3 months of preparation behind it, then no excuses.

Archived