IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

22 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

The money needed to invest in the Women's team is peanuts compared to the Men's. With the women's game becoming more popular all the time, it would be VERY short sighted of the club not to let them strengthen the side with a couple of signings in Jan to help them stay in the WSL.

Agreed. I think it’s been pretty disrespectful how the players that got promotion have been treated as well. They were on ridiculously low wages last season and still way, way off now. 

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Over 14k, the Gas can only dream of getting those sort of figures. Two teams in Bristol. City and City Women. :)

Incredible support! Twice a normal Gas home game!

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

14,000+, wow. Incredible. And to think, that would’ve been pretty consistently be seen as a good crowd for us back in the ‘old’ AG, league one days. 

Absolutely amazing how far the womens game has come, up and down the country. Long may that continue!

It’s fantastic support but the youngsters who go with their families will soon tire of getting beat every game when realistically they have no chance of being competitive. 
    Be like Jon’s top six squad getting to the premier league.

The main thing I'll take away today is the feeling that this team is slowly starting to get to grips with the system Lauren Smith has put in place and that they are up to WSL level. It's taken a little longer than desired but it is becoming the standard we need now. For the first half we kept United at bay and were more than up for a tussle. It was in no way the battering that some were whispering - and I think this will be the way forwards from here on.

It was somewhat of a shock to see the Dolman Stand so full (more so than the previous day?), as well as a smattering of fans in the South Stand. I imagine United brought quite a few but it is clear that Bristol has more Lioness fans than City fans.

No surprise to see a 5-4-1 out formation, but the burden really fell on the midfield once again. Without Furness, I did wonder how we would cope with the jewellery of United's international set, but I was encouraged to see the way the players were focussed on the gameplan and applied themselves so strongly. No-one was starstruck; everyone got stuck in. Some superstars didn't get the sort of reception they thought they would. More, please!

Liv CLark in goal has attracted some criticism lately but I thought she had a much improved game and was blameless for the two conceded. Her shot-stopping was first rate and frustrated the attacks well. Defensively, we worked well as a back 5 and the central defenders were usually in control of things. With the few chances that United did fashion, there were solid blocks and tight marking across the line. Considering the array of talent up against them, our girls showed no fear. Meg Connolly organised thoroughly, but the second-minute injury to Brooke Aspin was a big worry. Despite treatment the problem only got worse and she had to be stretchered off eventually. Hopefully it's not a serious knock. Chloe Mustaki came into the left of the line, with Layzell switching over to right. Even with the reshuffle, the defence stayed pretty solid.

In the middle of the park Napier, Rodgers and Morgan grafted hard all game, often in a defensive mode but were also able to stride forwards on the odd occasion and City created worthwhile attacks of their own. Although those chances were limited United weren't having it all their own way by any means. Abi Harrison started out wide left but soon came more into the middle to offer an outlet, as well as prompting play forwards. Thestrup was at times a lone figure but with Harrison linking up more as the game went on we looked a threat that meant United could not relax. Carrie Jones was always in the thick of things, often outshoning her more illustrious opponents and I'd give her the top rating today. The ongoing battle between Ella Toone and Jamie-Lee Napier was absorbing.

However, the bottom line is: we lost. A results business and all that. But there is a lot of mitigation, as we have matched one of Europe's top clubs and gavin them a game. More importantly, we showed more of what we are capable of and the team shows signs of improvement. Considering the absence of players like Furness, Murray, Hayles and so on, it was a gritty and determined performance today. If we can keep this momentum and build on it we will give ourselves more than a hope of survival this season. All in all, it was a heartening display from the Robins.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The main thing I'll take away today is the feeling that this team is slowly starting to get to grips with the system Lauren Smith has put in place and that they are up to WSL level. It's taken a little longer than desired but it is becoming the standard we need now. For the first half we kept United at bay and were more than up for a tussle. It was in no way the battering that some were whispering - and I think this will be the way forwards from here on.

It was somewhat of a shock to see the Dolman Stand so full (more so than the previous day?), as well as a smattering of fans in the South Stand. I imagine United brought quite a few but it is clear that Bristol has more Lioness fans than City fans.

No surprise to see a 5-4-1 out formation, but the burden really fell on the midfield once again. Without Furness, I did wonder how we would cope with the jewellery of United's international set, but I was encouraged to see the way the players were focussed on the gameplan and applied themselves so strongly. No-one was starstruck; everyone got stuck in. Some superstars didn't get the sort of reception they thought they would. More, please!

Liv CLark in goal has attracted some criticism lately but I thought she had a much improved game and was blameless for the two conceded. Her shot-stopping was first rate and frustrated the attacks well. Defensively, we worked well as a back 5 and the central defenders were usually in control of things. With the few chances that United did fashion, there were solid blocks and tight marking across the line. Considering the array of talent up against them, our girls showed no fear. Meg Connolly organised thoroughly, but the second-minute injury to Brooke Aspin was a big worry. Despite treatment the problem only got worse and she had to be stretchered off eventually. Hopefully it's not a serious knock. Chloe Mustaki came into the left of the line, with Layzell switching over to right. Even with the reshuffle, the defence stayed pretty solid.

In the middle of the park Napier, Rodgers and Morgan grafted hard all game, often in a defensive mode but were also able to stride forwards on the odd occasion and City created worthwhile attacks of their own. Although those chances were limited United weren't having it all their own way by any means. Abi Harrison started out wide left but soon came more into the middle to offer an outlet, as well as prompting play forwards. Thestrup was at times a lone figure but with Harrison linking up more as the game went on we looked a threat that meant United could not relax. Carrie Jones was always in the thick of things, often outshoning her more illustrious opponents and I'd give her the top rating today. The ongoing battle between Ella Toone and Jamie-Lee Napier was absorbing.

However, the bottom line is: we lost. A results business and all that. But there is a lot of mitigation, as we have matched one of Europe's top clubs and gavin them a game. More importantly, we showed more of what we are capable of and the team shows signs of improvement. Considering the absence of players like Furness, Murray, Hayles and so on, it was a gritty and determined performance today. If we can keep this momentum and build on it we will give ourselves more than a hope of survival this season. All in all, it was a heartening display from the Robins.

Good summary. I think the other thing we have to bear in mind is that our squad is very young and largely inexperienced at this level.

• Like 2

Well they may go down, they may well lose a lot of games , but it won't be through lack of effort.
Man U were clearly a level above , the control , passing and movement was much better for a lot of the game, but they can count themselves unlucky.
The keeper had a great game and it took a wicked deflection to finally beat her. The second was a good cross and header which chasing across the line she couldn't quite get to. They had a few chances, tested Earpes with a header and a few other situations that more control and a calm head might have lead to more.
Have to say there was some dodgy reffing , the worst being when City had a good break and got in behind the full back with Man U all over the place. Then the Ref stopped the game as a Man U player rubbed her head implying contact. She didn't go down , I didn't even notice it. No trainer or anything and the Ref restarted with Man U back in position and the ball went straight out as the ball was dropped and she was closed down quickly. 
City seem to have done well Vs the top sides, lost but not heavily and been in the game for most of it. They really need to beat the sides around the bottom to stand any chance, hope they can get a win soon , they need it.

Good day out and great support, and you can beer to the seats :city:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

A second appearance at AG for Alex Scott today.

Only this time, looking at his Instagram, he seemed to be supporting Man Utd or at least his friend Maya Le Tissier.

Think they used to play in the same team in Guernsey

1 hour ago, Full nelson said:

Aspin left in a knee brace and on crutches. 

3 or 4 players needed in transfer window. Hopefully a few with some pace.

Need  someone with a good left foot..

2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Agree with pretty much everything you say. Amy Jones was fantastic, Struck looked good when she came on. Sounds like Aspin is OK, not sure how she didn't get a yellow for that challenge though. Feel so proud of our players really, they're playing their socks off for little old Bristol City. We were good against Everton who won at Villa today so all is definitely not lost.   

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not altogether sure about that one. Unless is written down, I always assumed below the Conference was the level.

Exactly what I said, still saw several people coming in with pints.

Maybe the stewards didn't notice ?

22 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

A second appearance at AG for Alex Scott today.

Only this time, looking at his Instagram, he seemed to be supporting Man Utd or at least his friend Maya Le Tissier.

Yep, both are from Guernsey so would probably know each other from there. I saw him a few rows behind me. Tommy Conway was with him as were two other people I didn't recognise 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Crisis averted

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Yep, both are from Guernsey so would probably know each other from there. 

They more than know each other - Maya is Alex's step sister as per the Bournemouth Echo

Matt Le Tissier will take some dislodging as Guernsey’s most famous footballing export, but Scott already has a battle on his hands to claim the title of the Channel Island’s current best player.

That’s because his stepsister is England international and Manchester United star Maya Le Tissier, the pair having grown up playing together for Guernsey-based St Martin’s.

Whilst some reports name Maya Le Tissier (no relation to Matt) as Scott’s half-sister, the 20-year-old clarified that they were in fact siblings via marriage.

“That's my stepsister,” he restarted.

“My dad's with her mum, so she's my stepsister.

“We grew up, I don't know what age that would have been when they were together, but we've grown up playing for the same team all our lives.

https://web.archive.org/web/20231104003801/https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/23898533.alex-scott-afc-bournemouth-stepsister-maya-le-tissier/

• Like 2

Just realised that Jonathan Pearce was doing commentary for the game, as per from the clip below.
He was doing the international coverage on the FA Player (BBC had Fara Williams & someone else who's name I forgot)

Anyway, his commentary is now available on the FA Player (in the UK)
https://faplayer.thefa.com/video/MF84NTM0YTZnaSU3QyUyRnNlY3Rpb24lM0ZwYWdlJTNEaG9tZS1wYWdlJTdDY2Fyb3VzZWwtMA%3D%3D

• Like 2

• Admin
4 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Just realised that Jonathan Pearce was doing commentary for the game, as per from the clip below.
He was doing the international coverage on the FA Player (BBC had Fara Williams & someone else who's name I forgot)

Anyway, his commentary is now available on the FA Player (in the UK)
https://faplayer.thefa.com/video/MF84NTM0YTZnaSU3QyUyRnNlY3Rpb24lM0ZwYWdlJTNEaG9tZS1wYWdlJTdDY2Fyb3VzZWwtMA%3D%3D

Bettywyn Glover and Anita Asante were presenting pitch side 

Screenshot_20231127_204227_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

I was awaiting this announcement for a while, now it's happened. The FA have done a sterling job in going from outright banning to prominent inclusivity, but it was always looking to offload the women's game - especially at the top end. I note Nikki Doucet has a good grounding in the finer aspects of the organisation of the sport but was also an investment banker, significantly. That says to me that the growth of the women's game is clearly focussed on the money side. Who will benefit most, I wonder.

Of course, we will see what the new set-up will bring; the NewCo seems to be gearing up to run the show as a stakeholders' group. Will it be like the NFL? People make the mistake of thinking it's a sporting league - it's not, it's an owners' club!

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 16:19, Erithacus said:

I was awaiting this announcement for a while, now it's happened. The FA have done a sterling job in going from outright banning to prominent inclusivity, but it was always looking to offload the women's game - especially at the top end. I note Nikki Doucet has a good grounding in the finer aspects of the organisation of the sport but was also an investment banker, significantly. That says to me that the growth of the women's game is clearly focussed on the money side. Who will benefit most, I wonder.

Of course, we will see what the new set-up will bring; the NewCo seems to be gearing up to run the show as a stakeholders' group. Will it be like the NFL? People make the mistake of thinking it's a sporting league - it's not, it's an owners' club!

Jonathan Liew has written a good piece on this using us as an example of the considerable downside.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/05/womens-football-must-be-wary-of-following-mens-game-into-financial-cesspit

The WSL is surely going to end up like the PL, which I doubt will be good news for us.