IGNORED

Johnny Smith

Sparkz 76

Just wanted to know your thoughts about Johnny Smith maybe after a few loans is he worth a shot in the first team. I personally think we are crying out for an out and out winger to play on the opposite side to Nicolas Eliasson. I believe he can play on both flanks and think he is definitely worth a look at

I've been occasionally checking in with Oldham and their forum to see how he's been doing in their eyes. He's like 1 of about 2 players they think is any good they have.

But, bottom of League 2 is different to the Championship. His time to impress is in the pre season. He's definitely getting better though so maybe league 1 next year or hopefully us.

I saw him play for Fylde and thought he looked ok but a long way from Championship standard. That’s a couple of years ago though.  

That said, these players need to be given a chance (or what’s the point?). Taylor Moore is a great example - perfectly adequate at Championship level, with potential to go on. He’d been seemingly going nowhere and got his  chance out of desperation due to lack of numbers at the start of the season. Where might he have been now? On loan at some random League 1 club?

I’d quite like to see someone like smith given half a season to sink or swim. The two given a chance (Moore and O’Leary) both swam easily in the first team. 

With this and the Bakinson threads being on here in the past couple of days, just to remind everyone there's a loan watch thread pinned where these players are covered, seems to be the same few posters in there so be good to have a few more commenting!

Johnny Smith's dad posts occasionally in there, on boxing day he posted this!

Yet ANOTHER  assist for Jonny Smith in Oldhams 2-1 win at Morecambe.

14 Games

6 Goals

4 assists

Not bad..... :) :)

He seems to be doing well at Oldham, a loan move to a League One side would be good, but you risk taking him out of an environment where he's doing very well to a new one where he may not get as much game time. I'm sure the club & Smith/Smiths representatives will work out what's best. 

If BT thought Jonny Smith was close to Championship standard you can be sure that LJ would know his opinion.

As other have said there is a huge gulf in quality between L2 and the Championship and as yet it seems to be only otib that think he may be worth a recall............:cool2:

6 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Just wanted to know your thoughts about Johnny Smith maybe after a few loans is he worth a shot in the first team. I personally think we are crying out for an out and out winger to play on the opposite side to Nicolas Eliasson. I believe he can play on both flanks and think he is definitely worth a look at

@Garycpos is the man to ask.  Regularly provides updates on Jonny.

6 hours ago, Prinny said:

I've been occasionally checking in with Oldham and their forum to see how he's been doing in their eyes. He's like 1 of about 2 players they think is any good they have.

But, bottom of League 2 is different to the Championship. His time to impress is in the pre season. He's definitely getting better though so maybe league 1 next year or hopefully us.

He had a good year in L2 last year and didn’t even get a look in preseason. Didn’t even go to Florida which I thought was absurd considering we took Bakinson who had a good L2 season as well. I think he has a chance to be a real good player. I liked the Oldham loan because they needed to rely on him. Think that gives confidence. I do think we should try and move him up a league this month. A good half season in L1 and I’d hope he gets a chance with us. He looks a better footballer than COD imo. 

Archived