IGNORED

This weekend

wendyredredrobin

What would we like to happen this weekend?  Another 3 points and a hat trick for our new striker Nahki Wells at Loftus Road would be nice (Yes Josh is leaving and Nahki will be on the roof tomorrow).

3 points would enable us to catch Brentford and Fulham. Whilst Brentford are away at Hull, Fulham host The Terriers at The Cottage.

Behind us, within striking distance, should we fail to beat a Wellsless QPR sit Preston, Swansea and Millwall.  With Preston hosting Swans, a draw would be a good result and Millwall have a tough encounter at Hillsborough.  Another draw or a Wednesday win would seem to suit us here.

I can't see any other games over the weekend being of any concern unless anyone finds the bargain basement visit of the high flying Sky Blues to the Swamp alluring in any way.

Another win on the road on Saturday please Lee and we could even find ourselves in striking distance of the automatics.

COYR

This is a massive month for us. 
Will we pan out (mixed bag of results) and remain top 6 hopefuls..? 

Will we have a decent month and be well placed to take a top 6 finish..?

Will we crash & burn and stagnate into mid table..? 

Will we win the lot and find ourselves right on the tails of the top 2..?! 

It's a bit of a make or break transfer window really.  With what we have, we may struggle to make top 6.  With a decent window and a proven goalscorer, we would make the playoffs and possibly even the top two.

I really think SL thinks that this could be the season too, but is clearly aware of the FFP rules (though I'm sure he knows how to get around those if he wants to).

We will soon put season cards on sale for 20/21 and a poor window or end to the season will potentially jeopardise those sales and he won't want to see us going backwards in this respect.

Doubt Wells will start. Even if he signs today. LJ surely likely to stick with Fam and similar side to what won last game.

Maybe then have a bit more time to work on things with Wells for game after.

But then if we win next game I'm not sure if Wells gets in the team!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Doubt Wells will start. Even if he signs today. LJ surely likely to stick with Fam and similar side to what won last game.

Maybe then have a bit more time to work on things with Wells for game after.

But then if we win next game I'm not sure if Wells gets in the team!

One way or another you'd expect a debut vs Brum. Crucial to buy him now to weaken QPR mind.

,If and that’s a Big if, we sign Wells, we will probably have a formation change. Unless we play him as the lone striker, and lose Fam’s aerial power, we go to a genuine 2. Not sure we have done that for a while, and rarely away. I’ll wait until he’s freezing on the roof to think this through further.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It's a bit of a make or break transfer window really.  With what we have, we may struggle to make top 6.  With a decent window and a proven goalscorer, we would make the playoffs and possibly even the top two.

We will soon put season cards on sale for 20/21 and a poor window or end to the season will potentially jeopardise those sales and he won't want to see us going backwards in this respect.

It’s not a ‘make or break’ window at all. Sure City could do with another goalscorer but if you look at where City are right now it might be that LJ is happy with the squad as is it - in fact he’s repeated several times that he’d like to reduce the squad numbers......

I would not be surprised at all if we saw no incoming but two or three going out.

As for season cards - where City finish in the Championship  that will  make the difference In sales - not the winter window..

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I really think SL thinks that this could be the season too, but is clearly aware of the FFP rules (though I'm sure he knows how to get around those if he wants to).

If enforced properly, to the letter, in real-time and closing what in hindsight seem like obvious loopholes and demanding the maximum possible proof for optimistic claims in projected accounts in March ie paper trails if transfer revenue not yet received but received by end of May/June before accepting, there isn't really a way around them.

Back to the football, I still feel top 2 could be beyond but a strong playoff push, finishing within them- if we do get Wells, the pressure is very much on LJ for one this season IMO.

Also on the football, the results in the last week showed just how unpredictable the Championship is...taken as a whole, many really fell our way from last Tuesday to this Tuesday...went about as well as could be realistically expected I think.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

,If and that’s a Big if, we sign Wells, we will probably have a formation change. Unless we play him as the lone striker, and lose Fam’s aerial power, we go to a genuine 2. Not sure we have done that for a while, and rarely away. I’ll wait until he’s freezing on the roof to think this through further.

Play Fam and Wells and drop Weimann.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Harsh, lose a lot of hard work. Don’t see too many other options though.

Put him on the bench and he can do a job that Taylor did here. Perfect for the last 20 odd minutes.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

What sort of reception would he get from the QPR fans.  From what I can tell, he seemed veey happy there and it was just a case of them not being able to afford to buy him.

A QPR mate of mine said 'he was happy there' and that , 'thatwas from the horses mouth'. I think there may be an issue with either owners or finances, possibly FFP .
They wouldn't/couldn't offer the money for Wells, they let Toni Leistner join Cologne  on loan ( a few of theirs saying he was their best CB) plus  Matt smith and Malaker also out on loan. Not sure if they are getting wages off the books for a reason, the only player I've seen them linked with is a young Spurs kid.

As for reception, I'd imagine it would be OK, he made all the right noises saying he didn't want to end the loan, so no reason they would be upset with him. Maybe when he scores the winner though :yes:

Archived