IGNORED

Not Good Advert to Renew Season Tickets

John Galley

14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Go on, expand? I can take it.

Does ‘support’ mean blind faith even if you think it’s bollocks?

Yes and no.  

We are fans. That words comes from Fanatical. That's what it is to be a supporter of Bristol City.

Going as much as you can based on personal circumstances is the only qualifier for that. Choosing not to lend your support to the team and cheer them on regardless of what's going on off the pitch or in the dugout isn't optional. 

We have a role. We are part of it. The atmosphere we generate is as much a part of the team and the club as any individual player. It's not called the 12th Man for giggles. The club is what brings us together. We don't refer to the club as "we" and "us" for nothing. It is us. It is we. We are it. The product and entertainment is irrelevant. That's just modern football talk. Was it really any better in the 70's on a muddy pitch with a football league system littered with overweight, alcoholic cloggers who kicked opposition players almost as far as they hoofed the ball down field? 

But those fans turned up. We're part of it. All this society does is whinge. Whinge whinge whinge. 

I've had spells where I've been unable to go because of money, family and location over the years and it's painful. People in a position where they are able to do what many others wish they could but deciding they're too good or important to slum it supporting a small club performing badly are the absolute worst to me. 

I think if people want to talk about entertainment then fine, I tend to agree. But to me football isn't all that entertaining. I can't watch a game as a neutral anymore, it's the competition and desperation to win a battle against another tribe that's entertaining. But if it's the entertainment that's the reason for not going then you really can't call yourself a fan(atic). You're a customer. 

And that's not what football is or should be about. 

16 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Yes and no.  

We are fans. That words comes from Fanatical. That's what it is to be a supporter of Bristol City.

Going as much as you can based on personal circumstances is the only qualifier for that. Choosing not to lend your support to the team and cheer them on regardless of what's going on off the pitch or in the dugout isn't optional. 

We have a role. We are part of it. The atmosphere we generate is as much a part of the team and the club as any individual player. It's not called the 12th Man for giggles. The club is what brings us together. We don't refer to the club as "we" and "us" for nothing. It is us. It is we. We are it. The product and entertainment is irrelevant. That's just modern football talk. Was it really any better in the 70's on a muddy pitch with a football league system littered with overweight, alcoholic cloggers who kicked opposition players almost as far as they hoofed the ball down field? 

But those fans turned up. We're part of it. All this society does is whinge. Whinge whinge whinge. 

I've had spells where I've been unable to go because of money, family and location over the years and it's painful. People in a position where they are able to do what many others wish they could but deciding they're too good or important to slum it supporting a small club performing badly are the absolute worst to me. 

I think if people want to talk about entertainment then fine, I tend to agree. But to me football isn't all that entertaining. I can't watch a game as a neutral anymore, it's the competition and desperation to win a battle against another tribe that's entertaining. But if it's the entertainment that's the reason for not going then you really can't call yourself a fan(atic). You're a customer. 

And that's not what football is or should be about. 

Fair enough, I'm a 'customer' not a 'fan' then. It's only taken me 5 decades to work it out.

I'll leave it to all the 'fans' to sit on their hands, saying nothing, while watching more of LJ's inane tombola tactics. That's not how I'm wired in all honesty.

No issue with your post at all J-mat, it's just that I really do not think LJ justifies his position anymore and can't think of any other way to show my disdain in the modern day. The times of mass protests behind the old Grandstand are long behind us although it worked in days gone by. 

I can live with my decision, until he's gone anyway.

Thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair enough, I'm a 'customer' not a 'fan' then. It's only taken me 5 decades to work it out.

I'll leave it to all the 'fans' to sit on their hands, saying nothing, while watching more of LJ's inane tombola tactics. That's not how I'm wired in all honesty.

No issue with your post at all J-mat, it's just that I really do not think LJ justifies his position anymore and can't think of any other way to show my disdain. 
I can live with my decision, until he's gone anyway.

Thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

I meant no insult. I just can't fathom the mentality where the support of the team is dependent on anything. It's like the love of a family member. It goes without saying to me. 

But I'm a happy clapper or something. 

?

6 minutes ago, J-mat said:

I meant no insult. I just can't fathom the mentality where the support of the team is dependent on anything. It's like the love of a family member. It goes without saying to me. 

But I'm a happy clapper or something. 

?

No offence taken J-mat and I wouldn't criticise anyone for a different opinion or use the 'happy clapper' term. It's purely a personal opinion and I stand by it.

The fact I can watch every game from home for bugger all probably helps in that opinion too. ?

Sales will go up yet again this season, just like previous seasons - plenty of new people in the area who see that City are near the top of the championship and want to see other big ex prem sides - the club will word this whatever, it’s advertising propaganda 

I’m renewing, because of the social side, seeing good friends- otherwise not, the football worst I’ve ever seen 

5 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Sales will go up yet again this season, just like previous seasons - plenty of new people in the area who see that City are near the top of the championship and want to see other big ex prem sides - the club will word this whatever, it’s advertising propaganda 

I’m renewing, because of the social side, seeing good friends- otherwise not, the football worst I’ve ever seen 

Bit drastic?

I'm not saying it's any good, just stating we've seen worse. 

Not the reticence about renewal bit but...

Early days of Benny especially- how porous we were, Pulis League One, Tinnion at times, some latter days GJ, dog days of Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll- by which I mean their latter days, some of the thrashings received under Cotts.

For all I know you've supported longer than me, so surely you've seen worse down AG?

Now relative to resources, players available etc quite possibly it is but worst verbatim? Unsure- interested in this statement though.

6 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Another one who hasnt been going for very long.

21 hours ago, J-mat said:

It's disappointing that fans support their team regardless? 

***** sake. 

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement. Of course they support the  TEAM regardless, I've hated mangers, disliked players , worried about owners (not SL BTW), but the team is a separate thing allltogther. When all said and done City are my (only) team, who plays for, owns or runs them is irrelevant .

On 26/02/2020 at 09:59, RedM said:

Just for reference Huddersfield ST’s were being advertised last night, and they might now get Championship football again. It looks like they have one price for anywhere in in ground. £249 Adult, £249 over 60, same price as adult. U18 £129, under 8 £49. 

On the other side of it, looked at QPR. £588 for the equivalent seat to mine in the Lower Lansdown , which is £529.

8 hours ago, David Brent said:
8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Do you believe that the earth is flat?

Yeah I do. GJ told me.

Dozens of 'Flat earthers' around the globe would agree with you.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I renewed every season under GJ even tho it was the same garbage then as it is now - it has to be a Johnson trait.

From memory, the football was far more exciting under Dad than Son.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know what you're saying, but I think this is among the worst ever for one reason. Under other managers, like say Osman, the football was slow, boring defensive rubbish. But there was a plan, after watching this team over the season can you really say what our style is, or what we are trying to do?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit drastic?

Not the reticence about renewal bit but...

Early days of Benny especially- how porous we were, Pulis League One, Tinnion at times, some latter days GJ, dog days of Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll- by which I mean their latter days, some of the thrashings received under Cotts.

For all I know you've supported longer than me, so surely you've seen worse down AG?

Now relative to resources, players available etc quite possibly it is but worst verbatim? Unsure- interested in this statement though.

Good post mate and thanks for the response, maybe I should have worded it ‘worst for a while’

However pound for pound with the resources we have compared to past (like you said in your last paragraph) we should be playing attractive football with the squad and players at our disposal 

Archived