IGNORED

Worst sacking of a City manager ever

Unan

Going to be quite unpopular this one.

Benny Lennartson.

Yes, he wasn’t sacked but he left when we appointed Pulis (as BL was supposed to be DoF but had to step up after Ward had his hissy fit), but during his time in charge I could see where we were going - he was all in on the youth philosophy with a footballing mentality and we got rid of that for a hoofball merchant who signed journeymen.

I think Benny leaving and Pulis coming in was the worst trade off in my time watching City.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Dennis Smiths' departure always felt a bit wrong IMHO.

Ward was 'helped' out and Cotts' leaving was wrong. 

Cotts leaving seemed to be more than his face didn’t fit with the Lansdowns as a long term appointment. With GJ I think it was the right time as he’d lost the dressing room and things had gone a bit stale.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Cotts leaving seemed to be more than his face didn’t fit with the Lansdowns as a long term appointment. With GJ I think it was the right time as he’d lost the dressing room and things had gone a bit stale.

I think their man was lined up ready to go and it was just a case of waiting for an excuse to sack Cotts. 

I love Lansdown for what he’s done for us, but that was not nice. 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly....he’d wanted to bring in Ray Harford.

Yes, he did after unfortunately being quoted in the EP as needing some kind of help.. But I think the beginning of the end for Wardy was when he came back from holiday to find that Scott Davidson had just coughed up £1 million on Tony Thorpe without JW having any say in the matter.  Having lost Goater to Man City near deadline day of the previous season (when hard to believe this now, we got promoted into the 2nd tier and Man City got relegated to the 3rd tier) JW had bought Akinbiyi and Soren Anderssen for up front with Steve Torpey, it was clear that one of our biggest problems was going to be in defence replacing Shaun Taylor, who had a long term injury. Julian Watts didn't work out and Sean Dyche suffered from injury/poor form/lack of confidence for his entire time at the club.

5 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Yes, he did after being unfortunately being quoted in the EP as needing some kind of help.. But I think the beginning of the end for Wardy was when he came back from holiday to find that Scott Davidson had just coughed up £1 million on Tony Thorpe without JW having any say in the matter.  Having lost Goater to Man City near deadline day of the previous season (when hard to believe this now, we got promoted into the 2nd tier and Man City got relegated to the 3rd tier) JW had bought Akinbiyi and Soren Anderssen for up front with Steve Torpey, it was clear that one of our biggest problems was going to be in defence replacing Shaun Taylor, who had a long term injury. Julian Watts didn't work out and Sean Dyche suffered from injury/poor form/lack of confidence for his entire time at the club.

Perfectly summarised IMO. Four good strikers and Julian Watts is not a recipe for success.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Dennis Smiths' departure always felt a bit wrong IMHO.

Ward was 'helped' out and Cotts' leaving was wrong. 

If memory serves (and it might not!!), didn't Denis Smith go because he was told to sell Andy Cole, but refused? 

50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Benny Lennartson.

Yes, he wasn’t sacked but he left when we appointed Pulis (as BL was supposed to be DoF but had to step up after Ward had his hissy fit), but during his time in charge I could see where we were going - he was all in on the youth philosophy with a footballing mentality and we got rid of that for a hoofball merchant who signed journeymen.

I think Benny leaving and Pulis coming in was the worst trade off in my time watching City.

very unpopular! the bloke was a clueless rambling baffoon! how history clouds our memories, quite possibly the worst appointment in the history of our club. try ask some players at the time their opinion!

In 2 minds about Benny, on the one hand he really got Jim Brennan playing well, we scored quite a few goals, but even the introduction of Sebok and Ivan around New Year did not shore up our defensive and midfield frailties.  We had some atrocious luck (that last minute 2-2 draw at West Brom, when Mickey Bell broke his leg and Ivan got a bad knee injury ), but it is a results business and I think we were about 17th when Benny took over and we ended up rock bottom.

On balance I think he had to go.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Benny Lennartson.

Agree gave youth a chance and by the end we were playing some not bad football.

Laid the foundations for Danny Wilson to bring young players through... 

I always thought what might have been with Benny, especially as he was not bought in as manager.

I would have loved him heading up the academy 

Archived