IGNORED

Paul Cook linked

Lez

Don't think anyone has mentioned David Moyes. Not even listed in the betting. 

Ex-City with an affection for the Club, SL type of man, no doubt will be moved on by West Ham if relegated and more than likely be replaced even if they stay up.

Maybe, just maybe? 

50 minutes ago, phantom said:

You really aren't that naive surely?

Are you telling me that every reporter that has posted a story on LJs replacement did so in the knowledge there was actually something in it?

That is how they work, they spin stories and people share and like and generate hits on their sites.

It's amusing to see how many names have been mentioned on OTIB and the sudden influx of people replying as if it is fact and then saying "he was my choice too"

To be fair, Cook was mentioned by a fair few people straight away as soon as LJ left, although not so much recently as there's been no word of us or him being interested.

Your general point is absolutely correct though.

2 hours ago, Lez said:

“Keen on”

What a multitude of meanings that carries. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s our number one choice, doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve offered him the job.

Newspaper journo needs clicks - links manager who’s probably looking for his next step up in the world. Nothing special to see here. 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Cook's always been my next choice after Hughton. Would be excited by that or Gerrard if I'm being honest. For differing reasons. Exciting times, don't let us bump back to earth, Steve please. 

Hughton my no1 (like Jokanović abd McCarthy in that bracket), but if you don’t get someone of that ilk, you either go:

• left field Gerrard
  • best of the next bracket, which is Cook imho.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Doesn't he like big physical players?

We don't have many of them and one of those may be off soon in Fam.

It's so important we get the right man that's fits in with the players we have.

Of course we will have to sell or loan out some and bring in some new ones. But I'm worried some of the suggestions really won't want some of the type of players we have.

Mark Robins though to me seems the right man to play the football I want to see, give youth a go and even the formation he plays suits many of our players which is wing backs.

He's the man for me.

Who?

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

There is something about him I just don't take to. Perfect for working class Northern clubs, not sure about us.

1_Peter-Kays-Phoenix-Nights-2015.jpg

I expect he'd prefer to stay in football though!

Cook was my early favourite. 
But once Hughton threw his hat in the ring, and then Gerrard got ‘linked’, he went swiftly down to 3rd choice. 
I’ll happily have him in though, if the other 2 are not gonna happen. 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cool. Looked very big and physical against us

Cool or Cook ?

I don’t think they are overly big.  Who doesn’t play two big CBs (Cipre and Dunkley)?  A lot of teams have a big man up top (Moore - but he hasn’t always started) too?

Midfield is combative, but not big.

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

Think he would keep us in the division anywhere from 10th to 18th most seasons but not near promotion......essentially back to square 1 almost then? It was only a few months back that Wigan wanted him gone, but seems like an appointment Lansdown would make given it was a choice of him or Hughton unfortunately.

How do you draw that conclusion? Because you judge Cook would be the cheaper option? Lansdown, like any sensible owner, wants the club to be self sustaining but he can't be accused of being a skinflint. If Lansdown believes Hughton is the man then I'm sure that's who he would wish to appoint. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Of course we will have to sell or loan out some and bring in some new ones. But I'm worried some of the suggestions really won't want some of the type of players we have.

Mark Robins though to me seems the right man to play the football I want to see, give youth a go and even the formation he plays suits many of our players which is wing backs.

He's the man for me.

He likes big, physical players?

That’s enough for me.

Vote Cook.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Haha. Cook.

Well they're so physical and even a shorter player like Morsy is so strong and aggressive.

7 players that start are 6 foot or over.

But I guess the height is not actually the most important part. It's that I'm not sure someone like Paterson or Palmer really fits in with how he's want to play.

And if he likes a big man up top then Wells might not fit in.

I always thought Wigan were a very aggressive physical side and just not sure about him being the right type for us.

Combative, aggressive, committed, all those are good adjectives to describe an aspect of Wigan’s play.

But good footballers too, Robinson at LB (ignore last weekends horror tackle) can play.  Naismith can play LW or sweeper...nice footballer.  Jamal Lowe. Williams and Morsy neat and tidy with the ball, in your face without it.  Wigan have the foundations of the bare minimum I’d like.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He's the man for me.

Has some physicality in his sides but nothing excessive.

Hull have been in freefall, but some of Wigan's play was and goals were splendid. The 8th was fantastic!

At AG at times vs us maybe but similar possession and a lot more chances this year, as well as domination of us at their place. They're quite fluid at times and he gets the best out of Dowell!

35 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How do you draw that conclusion? Because you judge Cook would be the cheaper option? Lansdown, like any sensible owner, wants the club to be self sustaining but he can't be accused of being a skinflint. If Lansdown believes Hughton is the man then I'm sure that's who he would wish to appoint. 

I don’t think Lansdown likes managers he can’t control & think he would see Cook (small name, probably would be happy to just be here) as the safer option. That’s how i draw my conclusion. Do i think Cook would get us to the prem? Not a cats chance in hell, but would fully support him, but would of stuck with LJ having the choice of the 2.

Do i think Hughton would within 2/3 seasons? Absolutely. 

My opinion of course.

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Haha. Cook.

Well they're so physical and even a shorter player like Morsy is so strong and aggressive.

7 players that start are 6 foot or over.

But I guess the height is not actually the most important part. It's that I'm not sure someone like Paterson or Palmer really fits in with how he's want to play.

And if he likes a big man up top then Wells might not fit in.

I always thought Wigan were a very aggressive physical side and just not sure about him being the right type for us.

Might be a breath of fresh air after watching years of "after you" football

43 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Paul Cook loves 4-2-3-1

Not good news for Nahki 

He’s played as the 1 lots throughout his career.  Of course he’s played with a big man too (Hugill and Hanson).  As we’ve seen in the last two games, it’s about service and quick service.  Neither of his goals v Boro were link-ups with Diedhiou.

20 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

In fairness most teams look physical against us. 

Are you sure? Agree midfield is light, but not sure we’ve been bullied too much this season aside from West Brom from memory. 

Fam, Kalas, Baker, Benko... all more than hold their own and our stats from corners, headers etc.. are very strong. 

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I personally wouldn't be too excited by Paul Cook, but I know **** all. 

You should be, he has a very strong track record and would be a sensible appointment. He's not a name in the sense Gerrard is, and less of a known Championship manager like Hughton, but he'd be a very prudent choice and wouldn't require the same wages as a Gerrard/Hughton.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Can certainly see people are excited by him. I'll have to judge everyone else's judgment

He's not a particularly exciting name in the usual sense but he's a very pragmatic and potentially prudent choice. I wonder whether he'd want to run the club as a more traditional manager which may put the club off, but he'd be far cheaper than Hughton/Gerrard if that really is a drawback to those names.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's not a particularly exciting name in the usual sense but he's a very pragmatic and potentially prudent choice. I wonder whether he'd want to run the club as a more traditional manager which may put the club off, but he'd be far cheaper than Hughton/Gerrard if that really is a drawback to those names.

And that would be the traditional Bristol City way - go for the cheap option.. Can’t say i know a huge deal about Cook, his record at a glance looks decent though to be fair to him. I still think if the goal truly is promotion it surely has to be Hughton. I can’t ever remember a more clear and obvious choice when we have been looking for managers previously.

Just now, bris red said:

And that would be the traditional Bristol City way - go for the cheap option.. Can’t say i know a huge deal about Cook, his record at a glance looks decent though to be fair to him. I still think if the goal truly is promotion it surely has to be Hughton. I can’t ever remember a more clear and obvious choice when we have been looking for managers previously.

There’s no such thing as cheap option when you appoint a manager of a football club

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

There’s no such thing as cheap option when you appoint a manager of a football club

Really? Id imagine Cook would be asking for half of what Hughton will want a year. What would Cook be on at Wigan - 3-400 k a year? 

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

Really? Id imagine Cook would be asking for half of what Hughton will want a year. What would Cook be on at Wigan - 3-400 k a year? 

Wages are irrelevant.

Appointing a bad manager, costs way more than any managers wage.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's the man for me.

Really don’t get why some people want mark robins . Is it just because it’s the last thing people remember. He’s done well at cov , but has done nothing everywhere else 

Archived