IGNORED

Swansea City v Bristol City Match Day 45

Septic Peg

55 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is Palmer even that good though? The player everyone says is amazing yet he has played well about 6 times for us including last season.

Yes, I think he is.

But like many others if you don't play him, instruct him to play in a way which doesn't suit him, or single him out for criticism, then you can't expect to see the best of him.

We've got some deadwood duffers, no doubt, but I expect many others - including Palmer - to be revitalised under the right new manager whose abilities include some tactical and man management skills.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, the only thing to look forward to now is the end of season retained list.

Hopefully a ruthless cull!

I would chop Hunt, Weimann, O'Dowda, Williams, Vyner, Watkins for definite.

Smith as a squad player and get a better 2 midfielders in.

Massengo on loan.

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I don’t subscribe to the major cull that some are suggesting. I’d like to see what the new guy can do with the current squad with (of course) a few additions

Exactly we have a lot of talented players , it needs a few including a big presence in midfield , Korey is past it has been for a while , but we can’t keep shovelling players in and shovelling them out , the managerial appointment is vital , in my opinion Hughton but if not an experienced manager that has a track record of promotions , done it before , not some potential young buck who interviews well but can’t back it up.

I was never very impressed with Johnson , never his fault when things went badly , milked it went went well , no tactical nous at all , please get this right Ashton & Co and let him sort out this mess

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

That bell end at Fleetwood? 

Joey Barton’s made some mistakes in the past but he’s a winner, can’t knock him as a player and sometimes you need that edge.

he seems to have done reasonably well managing couldn’t say he’d be any worse than much touted Gerard and Terry who are no shrinking violets themselves

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Disappointing in that, at one point, we had Wells, Afobe, Diedhiou, Palmer, Paterson, Eliasson & Weimann on the pitch, and didn’t get a single shot at goal!! 

I mean, like......, how, is that, ya know, like, possible.....? 

Seems to me that today was a classic case of cause and effect. If the cause is that the midfield is lightweight and totally lacks creativity, then the effect is that the strikers lack proper service and lack of shots will be the inevitable outcome, let alone goals. If you you merely throw on extra strikers then the cause has not been addressed, and the effect will be exactly as before.  

All the problems that we detected  with Johnson were manifest in that game. It showed that Dean Holden was as much of an issue as his boss.

New broom urgently needed to sweep out the dross.

Kind of annoyed with Lansdown that he's dithered so long over the appointment that the new man will not have had a run of practice matches.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yes, I think he is.

But like many others if you don't play him, instruct him to play in a way which doesn't suit him, or single him out for criticism, then you can't expect to see the best of him.

We've got some deadwood duffers, no doubt, but I expect many others - including Palmer - to be revitalised under the right new manager whose abilities include some tactical and man management skills.

I think Palmer is a very good player but one who only suits certain systems and roles. Like Noble and JET before him, it comes down to whether the new manager wants to play in a way that suits his strengths. I hope he stays and is given a chance to prove himself but, if we get a new manager and he is not right for the system he wants to play, it is kinder for all if he is moved on.

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

Walsh and Morrell need to be given an opportunity next season(should have played this season) but Nagy and Massengo need to be moved on two unnecessary signings just not good enough. Nagy is weak unsuitable to the physicality of the league Massengo has played more first team games than all the academy players put together and has contributed nothing don't rate him at all

Jury is out on both of them for me but ultimately it is down to the new manager to decide who he wants to work with. I can see it going either way but I still think there is no value on extending Smith and paying him a wage until we know which midfielders the new manager wants to work with next season.

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think Palmer is a very good player but one who only suits certain systems and roles. Like Noble and JET before him, it comes down to whether the new manager wants to play in a way that suits his strengths. I hope he stays and is given a chance to prove himself but, if we get a new manager and he is not right for the system he wants to play, it is kinder for all if he is moved on.

I don't rate Palmer really. He made a couple of good passes last year and has seemingly dined out on them all season. I'm sure he's a decent bloke but the fact that he's earning 15k a week, or whatever it is, for barely playing is a joke. Maybe he fell out with Johnson, who knows, but if not it's up to him to work hard to get back into the team. 

P. S. JET was lazy but at least he produced plenty of entertaining moments. Palmer on the other hand... 

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

All the problems that we detected  with Johnson were manifest in that game. It showed that Dean Holden was as much of an issue as his boss.

Kind of annoyed with Lansdown that he's dithered so long over the appointment that the new man will not have had a run of practice matches.

100% agree

Personally I think the delay extraordinary...unless we are appointing some world beater none of us have considered...which I very much doubt.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Roy Keane was a strong personality, with forthright views, who other players respected. 
Lee Tomlin was a fat little nancy boy with the personality of a 7 year old. 

Give me a better comparison please ..... 

Egotistical bellends who were the best players? Ronaldo, ego - definitely, bellend yeah at times, getting angry at other players for shooting rather than playing him in but then not doing the same in the other way round.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I don’t subscribe to the major cull that some are suggesting. I’d like to see what the new guy can do with the current squad with (of course) a few additions

In 4 games and 2 weeks, with limited time on the training ground, Holden has shown what a novice manager can achieve,  it’s not been brilliant, but it’s been better than this season under LJ in the main.

I agree that this squad can be better with the right man in charge.  It ain’t a bad squad.

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't rate Palmer really. He made a couple of good passes last year and has seemingly dined out on them all season. I'm sure he's a decent bloke but the fact that he's earning 15k a week, or whatever it is, for barely playing is a joke. Maybe he fell out with Johnson, who knows, but if not it's up to him to work hard to get back into the team. 

P. S. JET was lazy but at least he produced plenty of entertaining moments. Palmer on the other hand... 

We could always re-sign JET he’s only 29 (so younger than Nakhi) .
Those moments of magic (although rare) when he played for us made the season ticket worthwhile.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In 4 games and 2 weeks, with limited time on the training ground, Holden has shown what a novice manager can achieve,  it’s not been brilliant, but it’s been better than this season under LJ in the main.

I agree that this squad can be better with the right man in charge.  It ain’t a bad squad.

Squad is good, will need attention up top but that’s it, barring outgoings.

Holden’s done a good job but also benefitted from the inevitable new manager bounce.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Do you really think SL is sat dithering in his office saying ‘oh deary me, I’m really not sure, should I give the job to him or should it be him? What about him? Oh dear me. I hate having to make decisions’. He is a shrewd business man.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree to a point but of course Holden was working with them all on a daily basis anyway. Has he got that much more out of them? Especially when you consider that it would be in the player’s interests to keep Holden being the Devil they know and all that. Yes we got a couple of results but Lee did that occasionally. Almost the same players are being rotated round, no one has really been brought back from the cold or bombed out with the exception maybe Palmer and Massengo at a push.

I’m not saying we should have kept Lee, he had his time with us. But I’m also thinking that Holden hasn’t in particular shown why he should get the job either, even in this limited time. More importantly I don’t think the players have done enough for him. A new manager and a couple of additions are needed to steer the ship if we have any ambitions in my opinion. I would be hugely disappointed if Holden and Co are herein these roles much longer.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I agree to a point but of course Holden was working with them all on a daily basis anyway. Has he got that much more out of them? Especially when you consider that it would be in the player’s interests to keep Holden being the Devil they know and all that. Yes we got a couple of results but Lee did that occasionally. Almost the same players are being rotated round, no one has really been brought back from the cold or bombed out with the exception maybe Palmer and Massengo at a push.

I’m not saying we should have kept Lee, he had his time with us. But I’m also thinking that Holden hasn’t in particular shown why he should get the job either, even in this limited time. More importantly I don’t think the players have done enough for him. A new manager and a couple of additions are needed to steer the ship if we have any ambitions in my opinion. I would be hugely disappointed if Holden and Co are herein these roles much longer.

It’s more about structure, method, patterns of play, where I’ve seen significant improvement.  Players look like they know what they are doing....and importantly look comfortable with the “plan”.

It looked “unnatural” under LJ. Or in natural as @spudskicalled it.

55 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Do you really think SL is sat dithering in his office saying ‘oh deary me, I’m really not sure, should I give the job to him or should it be him? What about him? Oh dear me. I hate having to make decisions’. He is a shrewd business man.

He's a shrewd stockbroker, he isn't necessarily a shrewd football club owner.  Had he been that shrewd, he'd have realised Lee was failing and discretely sounded out prospective replacements before sacking Johnson, leaving a smooth transition of power and giving the new manager a run of dead rubbers to suss out the strengths and weaknesses of the side with a view to hit the floor running at the start of next season.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s more about structure, method, patterns of play, where I’ve seen significant improvement.  Players look like they know what they are doing....and importantly look comfortable with the “plan”.

It looked “unnatural” under LJ. Or in natural as @spudskicalled it.

I can see that yes, but if players have been told to go out and enjoy themselves, play with flair etc as I thought I read somewhere, well it hasn’t looked that evident. Today they looked like they were playing in 30 degree heat, certainly not relaxed and free like I thought they would be after being stifled by Lee. 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I can see that yes, but if players have been told to go out and enjoy themselves, play with flair etc as I thought I read somewhere, well it hasn’t looked that evident. Today they looked like they were playing in 30 degree heat, certainly not relaxed and free like I thought they would be after being stifled by Lee. 

I saw it different today. ?

I thought we were pretty decent, bar for a 10 minute spell at the end if the first half.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I saw it different today. ?

I thought we were pretty decent, bar for a 10 minute spell at the end if the first half.

To be fair to you I think you watch it more ‘professionally’ than me. I’m just a fan and thought it was a dull match, as much as I love my football I was glad I hadn’t gone to Swansea and sat through that which I would have done if able. ?

Archived