IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Actions? New stadium, training ground etc etc.

You seem to be complaining about an outcome that you don’t know yet. Chill out fella

The whole scenario is a bit like the chicken and the egg. Which comes first.

Or how about the statement many years ago by Sir Matt Busby. "You can fill a rubbish tip with thousands to watch a great team. But you cannot fill a brand new stadium to watch a poor team!"

I can't remember his exact words but you get the gist.

So in some way, has SL done it in the wrong order. Get the winning, promotion to the Prem, and survival there and you'll fill any stadium.

So I ask the question. Has SL gone about it in the right order? He has created, built, introduced 95% of the structure to succeed - stadium, Academy, club structure etc. Yet still appears to be reluctant to add the final 5% by not employing the quality of team manager that will give us a fighting chance of getting out of the Championship upwards. The team manager is the most important position in the whole club!

We've had the cheap option for four years and now we are interviewing, reportedly, eight candidates of which only two have actually won promotion from the Championship.

Why do I not feel optimistic about our next manager? Because it most likely going to be another who is best suited to Division Four.

Now 6 weeks and 5 or 6 days from the new season.

I understand a good appointment is better than a rushed appointment and I understand these things can take time but new manager will have a lot in their in-tray.

Remember too, this season will come thick and fast indeed.

May 8th/9th 2021 it will conclude, that's 9 and a bit months into around 8- compressed!

That's inclusive of the FA Cup, is the League Cup going ahead- what about International breaks?? Does anyone know those arrangements- end of May for playoff final- it's going to be a tight squeeze...if we don't get a new manager soon it'll be problematic IMO!

8 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Agree - the club has been badly run for years. You just know this new appointment is gonna end up being a mess. It could only happen at AG. Shame really. You can only assume that Johnson’s sacking must have meant he had a big fall out with some players and that he had to be rid of quick?

Dunno about falling with players, will leave that for others to comment on. Others who know more about it than me.

Your bolded bit however. At first I assumed a plan was in place, if playoffs falls away and not only that but the terrible fall away of performances, lack of redeeming features, lack of hope- any kind of momentum to take into next season given the gap, zero- I assumed it was planned, if that happened we get rid but we had someone in mind.

However we're 3 weeks on and a bit- in a normal summer- zero problem. Season ends in May, lucky enoiugh to make playoffs mid-late May, begins in August- no problem.

However we're towards the end of July, think pre season begins in a fortnight? Nobody yet!

I wonder if it was deeply unplanned, "Okay he's failed objectives! Terrible drop off in performance and lack of hope, so- sacked!" "Erm, er- er! Now what!?"

Certainly doesn't feel like it was joined up tbh.

13 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I am therefore baffled 

Yeah I think you are mate. This process seems to be above your head. 

The club will interview. Then decide. Then announce who they have chosen. It will happen when it happens. How on earth can you criticise the club when you have zero facts. 

In the mean time, feel free to run around your front room, like a headless chicken waving your arms in the air shouting disparaging comments about Steve L. 

Thanks for starting a whole new thread on your view that you have posted on numerous other threads. 

Needy much?

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

The club will interview. Then decide. Then announce who they have chosen. It will happen when it happens. How on earth can you criticise the club when you have zero facts. 

In the mean time, feel free to run around your front room, like a headless chicken waving your arms in the air shouting disparaging comments about Steve L. 

Thanks for starting a whole new thread on your view that you have posted on numerous other threads. 

Needy much?

No he is just being an entitled idiot

13 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Do you know who those players were and how much they wanted? Because it sounds to me that Cotterill had serious ambitions for our Club and may well have been the man to bring better players here. We should expect to pay more because we are far away geographically from the mainstream of english football. Relocation is a serious business coming to us. He got us the double, how did he do that if he had an irrational mind? If you are saying Cotterill is passionate, on top of being a very good manager I'd agree. My suspicion is that he was firm about what he expected (why shouldn't he be after what he'd done for us) and SL is uncomfortable around anyone who threatens his control, especially in areas where he is less than secure .ie. football. We would have been on the crest of the wave on our return to the Champonship with Cotterill. Instead we get nepotism from SL in LJs appointment. Was that okay?

Hughton is the obvious choice. Has SL had a Premiership team, well Hughton has at three Clubs. We should pay above the going rate to get him for the reasons I mention. Can't see that Hughton is the type of man to come here and put his feet up.

(Lastly I think it's at least unsporting of you or even cruel of you to expect a 61 year old to physical jerks to get a job - not really mate)

One of the main reasons he did that, along with his passion, was because in league 1 we were a big fish in a small pond, and could afford to assemble the best squad in the division. 

Unfortunately, in the championship we were a small fish in a very much bigger pond. To try and compete there along similar lines to league 1 ( which is how SC appeared to see it), and up against much bigger clubs and clubs enjoying parachute payments would have blown the club's budget and compromised the financial spending rules. 

You suggest that SL is uncomfortable around anyone who threatens his control in areas that he is less secure, i.e. football. By the same token it would fair to suggest that SC would be uncomfortable around anyone that threatened him in areas he is less secure. In this case that would be football finance, and in the financial world  SL trumps SC in every respect - his financial knowledge and expertise and not least because he owns the club and it's his money that is being spent. 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The whole scenario is a bit like the chicken and the egg. Which comes first.

Or how about the statement many years ago by Sir Matt Busby. "You can fill a rubbish tip with thousands to watch a great team. But you cannot fill a brand new stadium to watch a poor team!"

I can't remember his exact words but you get the gist.

So in some way, has SL done it in the wrong order. Get the winning, promotion to the Prem, and survival there and you'll fill any stadium.

So I ask the question. Has SL gone about it in the right order? He has created, built, introduced 95% of the structure to succeed - stadium, Academy, club structure etc. Yet still appears to be reluctant to add the final 5% by not employing the quality of team manager that will give us a fighting chance of getting out of the Championship upwards. The team manager is the most important position in the whole club!

We've had the cheap option for four years and now we are interviewing, reportedly, eight candidates of which only two have actually won promotion from the Championship.

Why do I not feel optimistic about our next manager? Because it most likely going to be another who is best suited to Division Four.

You are right about the chicken and egg argument, but in our case I think SL's plans were driven by football's financial rules.

In the championship it is not a level playing field  as there are some very big clubs competing as well as clubs enjoying parachute payments. Financial rules limit how much an owner can put in each season to" fund' the playing side and I think we would all agree that in general terms, without spending money it would be very difficult to compete for promotion, let alone secure promotion to the prem.

Our problem was that with the old Ashton Gate income generated through the ground, both on match days and especially on non match days, was one of the lowest in the division - I think Im right in saying that we were the only club without any corporate boxes.

FFP allowed SL to invest in infrastructure, so he was able to put his money into redeveloping Ashton Gate. Once completed, the new stadium generated increased income, both on match days and  crucially non match days ( conferences, gigs etc) and all of this income is allowed to go into the football side under ffp.

As for the new manager, everyone seems to assume that SL will not go for who they think is the right man just because he is some sort of skin flint owner just looking for th cheap option and a yes man. What if, at interview CH, or whoever falls into that category, make it clear that they would be unprepared to work within the clubs financial structure, no matter what salary Sl offered, or it came across that they were really only looking for one last pay day rather than a genuine interest in furthering the club's ambitions? Would we want such a manager appointed in those circumstances?

I see the comments about Adkins' alleged interest and how underwhelmed many fans are at the thought. I suspect Saints fans were equally underwhelmed the appointment of Scunthorpe's manager and previous physio there before he took them up into the premier league.

3 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

How on earth can you criticise the club when you have zero facts. 

Experience and taking a lead from others on this forum?

8 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

If / when CH is announced, is there going to be a thread saying sorry to SL? Probably not. 

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Nobody on this forum knows **** all what is going on. Even @Kid in the Riot and @Harry

They have no idea what's going on at the moment too. 

So just calm down and see what happens. This forum is like a bunch of spoilt children stamping their feet as they don't know what they're getting for Christmas. It's truly pathetic. Let's just wait and see before getting out panties in a twist. 

If you can contribute nothing more than this, and have such contempt for other forum members, why don't you give it a break?

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You are right about the chicken and egg argument, but in our case I think SL's plans were driven by football's financial rules.

In the championship it is not a level playing field  as there are some very big clubs competing as well as clubs enjoying parachute payments. Financial rules limit how much an owner can put in each season to" fund' the playing side and I think we would all agree that in general terms, without spending money it would be very difficult to compete for promotion, let alone secure promotion to the prem.

Our problem was that with the old Ashton Gate income generated through the ground, both on match days and especially on non match days, was one of the lowest in the division - I think Im right in saying that we were the only club without any corporate boxes.

FFP allowed SL to invest in infrastructure, so he was able to put his money into redeveloping Ashton Gate. Once completed, the new stadium generated increased income, both on match days and  crucially non match days ( conferences, gigs etc) and all of this income is allowed to go into the football side under ffp.

As for the new manager, everyone seems to assume that SL will not go for who they think is the right man just because he is some sort of skin flint owner just looking for th cheap option and a yes man. What if, at interview CH, or whoever falls into that category, make it clear that they would be unprepared to work within the clubs financial structure, no matter what salary Sl offered, or it came across that they were really only looking for one last pay day rather than a genuine interest in furthering the club's ambitions? Would we want such a manager appointed in those circumstances?

I see the comments about Adkins' alleged interest and how underwhelmed many fans are at the thought. I suspect Saints fans were equally underwhelmed the appointment of Scunthorpe's manager and previous physio there before he took them up into the premier league.

I fully understand why SL took the route that he did. Build the house on rocky substrate not sand.

What puzzles me is that in his financial business with Hargreaves, it would not have grown in the way it did, if they had chosen inexperienced fund managers.

Yet after £45 million spent on a new stadium, he employed a rookie team manager instead of a proven performer at this level.

The delay in appointing the next one, makes me wonder if, by spreading the net far and wide, he is not yet ready to fill the position with the stand out candidate(s) who have the necessary credentials to get us promoted.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Nobody on this forum knows **** all what is going on. Even @Kid in the Riot and @Harry

(In relation to interviews etc)

So just calm down and see what happens. This forum is like a bunch of spoilt children stamping their feet as they don't know what they're getting for Christmas. It's truly pathetic. Let's just wait and see before getting out panties in a twist. 

I think maybe you have a point with some on here. However, I think a lot on here are really worried we as a club are going to f@ck up a massive opportunity. We have finally binned LJ which was a long time coming. We can now start afresh and with the right appointment move this beautiful club forward to the next level.

An uninspiring choice / option as Manager appointed now could see us moving in the wrong direction and quickly. An example of which would be Charlton Athletic. Nothing against Bowyer by the way. What I mean is a club sliding from top 3 to relegation in quick time. The Championship is unpredictable and savage and we need someone of CH's pedigree to navigate it.

17 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

(In relation to interviews etc)

I meant his experience , not mine.

I'm pretty calm about the appointment and think the club are going about things in the right way and because of this, it take longer than many fans would like.

As for the person appointed, only performance a nd results will prove whether the club makes the right choice. CH could be appointed but we find ourselves bottom of the abel by Christmas, then again Ryan Lowe could be appointed and we play champagne football to sit in the autos by the end of the year.

15 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Well I offered. I'm sure you heard?? 

Why are some City fans so pedantic and parochial when the conduct of our Club is being debated. We are so very far from what our football Club could achieve. I'd say the fans aren't to blame for that, so who is? Are you happy with our situation?

I'm not happy with lots of things, but without knowing the details and the full context, I don't feel in a position to offer scathing criticism.

As for being pedantic and parochial, I think that neither apply. In what way was I either? Or maybe you were using big words you don't fully understand.

3 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Needy much?

To be fair, doesn't help when people "ITK" come on and say it's a done deal. That's only heightened expectations, and because people assume that was true they worry something's gone wrong or the club have back tracked etc when really it's more likely it wasn;t a done deal and the club are taking their time to make an important decision.

No one knows who the 8 are, not even the "ITK" posters - or they aren't sharing that information - so for all we know there could be someone better than CH who has applied and the club are doing their due dilligence.

7 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

But mate, this is my point, exactly this, how do you know "we are ******* up a massive opportunity"?

Nobody knows. What happens if CH is announced tomorrow? Have we ****** it up? No, so lets just see what happens!!!!

My point is, people are acting like we've "******* up a massive opportunity" when they don't KNOW!!!!!!  

I agree with you. What I'm saying is that there are loads of people who are 'worried'. Massive difference between being worried and knowing we are going to f@ck it up. I reckon I try and look at things in general logically. However, when it comes to City logic can go out the window. It's the hope that kills you and on this occasion that hope is that we get it right. We have to get it right.

39 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I suspect the appointments at Swansea and Cardiff of Cooper and Harris, respectively, were also seen by fans at the time as “underwhelming “. Both clubs are, of course, now in the playoffs. We’re not.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

One of the main reasons he did that, along with his passion, was because in league 1 we were a big fish in a small pond, and could afford to assemble the best squad in the division. 

Unfortunately, in the championship we were a small fish in a very much bigger pond. To try and compete there along similar lines to league 1 ( which is how SC appeared to see it), and up against much bigger clubs and clubs enjoying parachute payments would have blown the club's budget and compromised the financial spending rules. 

You suggest that SL is uncomfortable around anyone who threatens his control in areas that he is less secure, i.e. football. By the same token it would fair to suggest that SC would be uncomfortable around anyone that threatened him in areas he is less secure. In this case that would be football finance, and in the financial world  SL trumps SC in every respect - his financial knowledge and expertise and not least because he owns the club and it's his money that is being spent. 

The problem with the lansdown is uncomfortable argument is at hargreaves lansdown he appointed people who were best placed to take the business forward and weren't yes men

At the rugby he did the same

The argument is complete bullshit made up by an idiot with an axe to grind

Archived