IGNORED

Nagy and Kalas

Bassomylord

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Nagy was good. Was worried his levels were dropping in most recent games. 

Bakinson too real moments of quality.

Kalas amazing. A 9 out of 10 performance that is.

If anyone needed a week off it was him. As Tins said today he must have run three marathons.

The best outfield player we have and I dread him being sold in January.

Our best players today were the stand-outs because of their off the ball play. 
Kalas was solid, as was Vyner, against the big man/small man attack of Wycombe. 
Nagy was very good in defensive cover and positioning. 

However, our struggles WITH the ball continue. Cod had a very good first half and really ripped the full back. 
Semenyo had 2 or 3 moments where he dribbled past opponents and had them on the back foot. 
Bakinson had an exquisite through ball in the first half that deserved an assist. 

Those incidents aside, we struggled (again) to keep the ball, and to pass and probe, pull the opposition around etc. 
We did for about 5 minutes in the 2nd half, but otherwise we struggled with possession again. 

That’s a big concern of mine. 

Edit - It’s a concern because Wycombe weren’t a manically high pressing side, like we saw recently vs Rotherham for example. We really should have been able to control possession much better today. 

Can’t say I’ve watched much of City this season, as I’ve found it hard to get into it. But I’m surprised ( maybe not ) from what I have previously seen of him, that people didn’t rate Nagy. Similar in so many ways to Skuse, but is better at breaking lines & going forward. COYR 

Why am I looking at today’s performance and thinking very few players come out with credit.

First half I was disappointed overall, second half we were worse.

Theres “immense” from a warrior point of view - Kalas.

Immense from running around a lot, is not immense imho.  It’s what loads on here said Weimann did, and he did something with that running.

We need to stop seeing the game in flashes and look overall.  Only one team played any real football today, and that was Wycombe....the long-ball team.

The “basics” from some of our alleged immense players were woeful.  We knocked it about for 5 minutes in the second half, 5 minutes....against Wycombe.  If you ignore that 5 minutes....we held in for grim life.

Nagy - how often did he make angles for Hunt and Rowe today so that we could keep possession or need marking to free up space for someone else?  Not very often.  Nagy is meant to be our “give and go” man in the midfield.  He worked hard, he covered others, he ran miles, but his often did he get brushed aside?  Great, There’s more to “immense” that that!

Bakinson - how many times did he get caught on the ball?  How many times did he play too early and cost us possession with a ball forward?  Too often.  Did he make some nice passes too?  Yes he did.  But he was far from “immense”.

O’Dowda - some good bits first half, coupled with wasting set-pieces.  Got the “1” in the assist column he’s deserved recently, but then did nothing second half.  When are we gonna see a 75-90 from him?  A few dribbles does not make “immense”.

Kalas was excellent, although dropped too deep again, second half, Akinfenwa got several balls down inside the final third....but TK defended and headed everything inside the box.

As a team we cannot and should not be hanging on against Wycombe.  We imposed ourselves very infrequently.  We should not be hailing “backs to the wall” stuff today

That was as frustrating a watch, if not worse than recent games.

I expect so much more that what I witnessed today.

Ratings:

(I doubt many will agree)

Bentley 7 - punched well

Hunt 5 - one or two decent headers defensively but poor with the ball 

Vyner 7 - pretty solid, headed well once he got to grips with AA

Kalas 8 - brilliant in own box

Senenyo 5 - two dribbles at the start of the 2nd half isn’t enough....cross the ball for Martin tap-in pleaaaassssssssse.

Nagy 6 - worked hard, did little for us with the ball

Bakinson 6 - some good stuff, some bad stuff

O’Dowda 6 - some good stuff (all in opening 45) some bad stuff, some anonymous stuff

Martin 7 - much more like it, but expected to run too many channels

Wells 5 - below par, cross the ball for Martin tap-in pleaaaassssssssse.

Subs:

Mariappa - 6 decent enough as sub (had he done that whole 90, would’ve been a 7)

Diedhiou - 7 goalllllllllllllll

Edwards - n/a but assist.

Bah....effing.....humbug

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Senenyo 5 - two dribbles at the start of the 2nd half isn’t enough....cross the ball for Martin tap-in pleaaaassssssssse.

O’Dowda 6 - some good stuff (all in opening 45) some bad stuff, some anonymous stuff

I'd go along with most of that, but I thought Nagy was more 7 or 8 for his work rate and his sheer disruptiveness. And COD a 7.

Either way, well happy with a win and that we're still in touch. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why am I looking at today’s performance and thinking very few players come out with credit.

Immense from running around a lot, is not immense imho.  It’s what loads on here said Weimann did, and he did something with that running.

We need to stop seeing the game in flashes and look overall.  Only one team played any real football today, and that was Wycombe....the long-ball team.

The “basics” from some of our alleged immense players were woeful.  We knocked it about for 5 minutes in the second half, 5 minutes....against Wycombe.  If you ignore that 5 minutes....we held in for grim life.

Nagy - how often did he make angles for Hunt and Rowe today so that we could keep possession or need marking to free up space for someone else?  Not very often.  Nagy is meant to be our “give and go” man in the midfield.  He worked hard, he covered others, he ran miles, but his often did he get brushed aside?  Great, There’s more to “immense” that that!

Bakinson - how many times did he get caught on the ball?  How many times did he play too early and cost us possession with a ball forward?  Too often.  Did he make some nice passes too?  Yes he did.  But he was far from “immense”.

O’Dowda - some good bits first half, coupled with wasting set-pieces.  Got the “1” in the assist column he’s deserved recently, but then did nothing second half.  When are we gonna see a 75-90 from him?  A few dribbles does not make “immense”.

Kalas was excellent, although dropped too deep again, second half, Akinfenwa got several balls down inside the final third....but TK defended and headed everything inside the box.

As a team we cannot and should not be hanging on against Wycombe.  We imposed ourselves very infrequently.  We should not be hailing “backs to the wall” stuff today

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Mariappa - 6 decent enough as sub (had he done that whole 90, would’ve been a 7)

Bah....effing.....humbug

Harsh on Nagy, a) he’s probably knackered and b) maybe he’s worked out there’s no angle on the protractor he can make, that will increase the chances of his team mates completing a 10 yard pass. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Bah....effing.....humbug

Bit of anonymous performance from Tommy Rowe then? :whistle:

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Bah....effing.....humbug

Pretty accurate ratings, although a 5 for Wells is generous.

I'd just add that I was watching us today and trying to imagine a manager of a future opponent watching. Would they see anything to scare them or make them think? Was there anything on display, against the bottom team, that would make any manager think "Ah right, we're going to have to watch out for that"? For me the answer is no.

6 minutes ago, Red7 said:

I'd go along with most of that, but I thought Nagy was more 7 or 8 for his work rate and his sheer disruptiveness. And COD a 7.

Either way, well happy with a win and that we're still in touch. 

Happy with 3 points too.  But our midfield was bossed for large parts of the game today, whereas we barely bossed them.  I admire his work rate, but his game is more than that, and today I thought he didn’t do anywhere near enough to call it a good performance.  You’re all getting soft ???

1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Harsh on Nagy, a) he’s probably knackered and b) maybe he’s worked out there’s no angle on the protractor he can make, that will increase the chances of his team mates completing a 10 yard pass. 

Admittedly our passing was poor, I’ll give you that.  But his game is all about the simple stuff, and he didn’t do enough of that. I don’t do 1/2 marks either, so he gets a 6 from me.

At 1-1, I reckon people see the game very different ???

7 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Bit of anonymous performance from Tommy Rowe then? :whistle:

Rowe 6 - battled away, good break for our goal....too often forced into long passes because his teammates don’t come towards him.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pretty accurate ratings, although a 5 for Wells is generous.

I'd just add that I was watching us today and trying to imagine a manager of a future opponent watching. Would they see anything to scare them or make them think? Was there anything on display, against the bottom team, that would make any manager think "Ah right, we're going to have to watch out for that"? For me the answer is no.

Possibly.  Thought there were some bright moments from him.  I don’t think anyone was as bad as a 4, and he created a couple of good opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Happy with 3 points too.  But our midfield was bossed for large parts of the game today, whereas we barely bossed them.  I admire his work rate, but his game is more than that, and today I thought he didn’t do anywhere near enough to call it a good performance.  You’re all getting soft ???

Admittedly our passing was poor, I’ll give you that.  But his game is all about the simple stuff, and he didn’t do enough of that. I don’t do 1/2 marks either, so he gets a 6 from me.

At 1-1, I reckon people see the game very different ???

Not convinced, only so much moving one player can do and he did an awful lot getting in their way to cover for teammates’ errors. Not suggesting a 9, but at least a 6.04...

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Bah....effing.....humbug

I respect your opinion Dave but feel you are being harsh. For all the crosses Wycombe got into the box I am struggling to remember on clear guilt edged chance, whereas we created 5 clear opportunities spoilt by either a heavy touch or poor finishing from Wells, Martin and Semenyo. For me Nagy was worth an 8, constantly putting out fires and what he missed Vyner (7) and the outstanding Kalas (8) dealt with. Bakinson and O'Dowda each get a 7 from me with everyone else getting a 6 apart from Wells where I agree with your 5. A change of boots at halftime from the vivid blue to his more usual dull yellow didn't make any difference to either his ball control or shooting. 

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Bah....effing.....humbug

The answer to your 'why?' Is...because you're a rational supporter!

Agree with all of your summary Dave.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Happy with 3 points too.  But our midfield was bossed for large parts of the game today, whereas we barely bossed them.  I admire his work rate, but his game is more than that, and today I thought he didn’t do anywhere near enough to call it a good performance.  You’re all getting soft

I thought our failure to boss the midfield was far more down to the casualness of Bakinson at times rather than Nagy. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Bah....effing.....humbug

Bakinson is very much hit and miss but when he does get his game together he’s going for a lot of money imo. He’s very much learning on the job. Him and Pato are the only two players in the squad who could see that outside of the foot pass let alone execute it....

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings:

Bentley 7 - punched well

Subs:

Bah....effing.....humbug

Nagy and O'Dowda only one point better than Wells???

Not for me I'm afraid.

Mozo, are your crazy or very clever?  You are the former if you agree with Fevs ratings - he cannot ha e been watching the same game where CoDfather ripped Wycom e apart in the first half yet he gets less than Martin and only 1 more than Wells who in the same period showed the touch of a Weston donkey (possibly the worst forward since Bas Savage. 

Clever becuae you list the players who held us together:  Kalas, Nagy, praise Semenyo and Bako, we all know  ents is tops and as you say Vyner was excellent efire injury

Add Big Fam and Martin and you will agree with many on here that we have 9 or 10 who are usually immense and also, it wasn't Deano's fault that Wells signed under the false pretenses of being a footballer 

4 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Mozo, are your crazy or very clever?  You are the former if you agree with Fevs ratings - he cannot ha e been watching the same game where CoDfather ripped Wycom e apart in the first half yet he gets less than Martin and only 1 more than Wells who in the same period showed the touch of a Weston donkey (possibly the worst forward since Bas Savage. 

Clever becuae you list the players who held us together:  Kalas, Nagy, praise Semenyo and Bako, we all know  ents is tops and as you say Vyner was excellent efire injury

Add Big Fam and Martin and you will agree with many on here that we have 9 or 10 who are usually immense and also, it wasn't Deano's fault that Wells signed under the false pretenses of being a footballer 

Is this Klingon ?

Semenyo is someone that looks good, but never quite good enough to score. 

He reminds me of some of those strikers we had on loan in the latter part of the Danny Wilson (possibly early Tinnion) era, Craig Fagan,Andy Smith etc. albeit on a better scale. They all ran around a lot, but never really looked like scoring more than 1 every 5 or 6 games if you were lucky.

I know we don't exactly look like scoring bucket loads at the moment anyway, so perhaps if that were the case he might get more chances/conversations.

I can't shake this feeling though that in a few years he'll either be playing for Colchester in League 1, or Burnley in the Premiership. There is something about him, but I worry he's being overplayed.

5 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Ha! It's definitely not option 2!!

I 100% agree with Fevs that despite the win it was a poor performance in general and only a few players gave a good account of themselves.

Regards O'Dowda though I agree he was really good at times and this season he's really taken the opportunity to show what he can do. Bakinson did that in the early games but has lost his way a bit (not completely). Vyner has grabbed his chance, Moore hasn't. Semenyo has become a dependable player but almost needs to believe in himself more.

But yeah COD was a 7/8 put of ten for me.

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Out of interest, give me your marks for O’Dowda split over each half? Or 45 mins and 32 mins.

I thought he had a good first half....probably an 8.  His set pieces though????  I don’t do half marks (as you know)....so let me say I’m keeping the 8 as perhaps it’s harsh to knock him down for 5 or 6 wasted corners or free-kicks.

Then what does he get for his second half performance?  He was pretty non-existent.  Too many times Rowe wants a short pass and Callum is running beyond Grimmer, 40/50 yards away.  What he did first half was get the ball into feet, get Grimmer tight and spin him (like he did for that dribble and pass for Martin).  Why did he stop doing that?  It froze himself out of the game, it had a negative impact on the team.  So even if I give him a generous 5 second half, that averages to 6.5.

The relationship triangle between your LW (O’Dowda) and your LB (Rowe) and central midfielders (Bakinson and Nagy) is key.  First half it was good.  Second half it was poor.  That’s not blaming Callum, but it is acknowledging he played a big part in that breakdown second half.  How often did Horgan and Grimmer get crosses in second half?  Our left side got us into trouble.

For me yesterday summed up Callum all within 77 mins.  He’s playing better than last season, that’s the positive.

Lets have your critique back?  Totally happy for disagreement, but I’d like to hear your side of it, now I’ve taken the time to explain.  

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, give me your marks for O’Dowda split over each half? Or 45 mins and 32 mins.

I thought he had a good first half....probably an 8.  His set pieces though????  I don’t do half marks (as you know)....so let me say I’m keeping the 8 as perhaps it’s harsh to knock him down for 5 or 6 wasted corners or free-kicks.

Then what does he get for his second half performance?  He was pretty non-existent.  Too many times Rowe wants a short pass and Callum is running beyond Grimmer, 40/50 yards away.  What he did first half was get the ball into feet, get Grimmer tight and spin him (like he did for that dribble and pass for Martin).  Why did he stop doing that?  It froze himself out of the game, it had a negative impact on the team.  So even if I give him a generous 5 second half, that averages to 6.5.

The relationship triangle between your LW (O’Dowda) and your LB (Rowe) and central midfielders (Bakinson and Nagy) is key.  First half it was good.  Second half it was poor.  That’s not blaming Callum, but it is acknowledging he played a big part in that breakdown second half.  How often did Horgan and Grimmer get crosses in second half?  Our left side got us into trouble.

For me yesterday summed up Callum all within 77 mins.  He’s playing better than last season, that’s the positive.

Lets have your critique back?  Totally happy for disagreement, but I’d like to hear your side of it, now I’ve taken the time to explain.  

O'Dowda will never make it as a consostent first xi championship player. He is an athlete who has the ability to run and work hard. That is it.

His decision making is poor, when the ball is at his feet he runs head down and then lacks any sort of composure,vision,creativity and technique.

In what way has ODowda improved in his time here? He needs to take some responsibility like Brownhill did.

He played a glorified league 1 side yesterday....did good first half and absolutely anonymous in the 2nd....that's his level for me, similar to Matty Taylor....a good League 1 player.

His scoring and assist record is damning....tells us everything we need to know.

Archived