IGNORED

Nagy and Kalas

Bassomylord

10 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

O'Dowda will never make it as a consostent first xi championship player. He is an athlete who has the ability to run and work hard. That is it.

His decision making is poor, when the ball is at his feet he runs head down and then lacks any sort of composure,vision,creativity and technique.

In what way has ODowda improved in his time here? He needs to take some responsibility like Brownhill did.

He played a glorified league 1 side yesterday....did good first half and absolutely anonymous in the 2nd....that's his level for me, similar to Matty Taylor....a good League 1 player.

His scoring and assist record is damning....tells us everything we need to know.

I’d like to read @Hampshire Red’s response though.?

Re CoDfather: the most feared player we have by defensive coaches of our opponents. 

Why? His energy is bottomless - v Wycombe he was injured during the game. This is what happens to players who dribble round defenders, making them look silly - always has been, JC-R, Bolasie,Whitehead - that's why they only look good for half, 2/3 game

Why an 8 or more first half on Sat?. 

Triangles on left as you mentioned. Then triangles with Martin (Semenyo not yet experienced enough to play these)  makes it very hard for Central defenders to maintain their shape. Then assist and 'shot' on target (was weak unfortunately). Tinman explains his threat well. 

Whatever rating system you give, he was double, or more, effective and skillful than NW. So give Wells a 4, you have to give CoD 8 or 9. The first touch of these two is incomparable. NWs touch from Bako's pass was Downs-like' and his shooting is 'anywhere in the gound'. Callum has a shot on him (Palace league Cup) just needs to practice more, like Semenyo. 

2nd half he wasn't anonymous until the injury he was covering back. You must have noticed Wycombe pushed two players higher up. Someone has to provide the cover and CoD has the engine to do that. 

I'm not going to argue your ratings/my ratings again because we all use different approaches, benchmarks etc. However see the threat and output of CoD during his time on the pitch and comparing that to NW means you should seriously re-think. 

On to Luton now. Our last two visits were horrible performances and the worst of an away day-something rare in the Lj era where watching City away was generally such a treat compared to this TV crap. 

9 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Why are you telling me this? I have the right to respond to any post I like.

No, sorry, I liked your post too, was just flippantly waiting for HR’s reply....which he has now below.

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Re CoDfather: the most feared player we have by defensive coaches of our opponents.

Says who? You?

Why? His energy is bottomless - v Wycombe he was injured during the game. This is what happens to players who dribble round defenders, making them look silly - always has been, JC-R, Bolasie,Whitehead - that's why they only look good for half, 2/3 game

He is an athletic player.  Not sure dribbling and hamstring strains has any correlation but hey-ho!  Happy for players to have sporadic involvement, the game ebbs and flows. But it doesn’t have to be only in one half or another does it?

Why an 8 or more first half on Sat?.

Any comments on his set pieces?  Might’ve been Blackburn where his delivery was really threatening.  Saturday it was hit first man or balloon it over the back of Kalas.  Does that not influence his contribution?

Triangles on left as you mentioned. Then triangles with Martin (Semenyo not yet experienced enough to play these)  makes it very hard for Central defenders to maintain their shape. Then assist and 'shot' on target (was weak unfortunately). Tinman explains his threat well.

Believe it or not, Semenyo (v.poor first half) had as many link-ups on his side with Hunt, Bakinson and Martin as Callum did on his side across the whole game too.  

Whatever rating system you give, he was double, or more, effective and skillful than NW. So give Wells a 4, you have to give CoD 8 or 9. The first touch of these two is incomparable. NWs touch from Bako's pass was Downs-like' and his shooting is 'anywhere in the gound'.Callum has a shot on him (Palace league Cup) just needs to practice more, like Semenyo.

Wells touch was awful on that occasion.  Re shooting, we are discussing the Wycombe game.  Other games are irrelevant. Where is any credit for Wells half-volley control, spin and nutmeg in the first half and subsequent ping to Semenyo, or his criss to Martin (layoff to Semenyo who almost scored) or spin away from his man to chip a pass through to Martin.  It seems some players aren’t allowed any credit.  It’s worth reading the MDT and see all the posts about his touch, but not one comment on anything good he did.  Overall he wasn’t great, not enough good things to balance the bad things....that’s why I marked him the way I did.

2nd half he wasn't anonymous until the injury he was covering back. You must have noticed Wycombe pushed two players higher up. Someone has to provide the cover and CoD has the engine to do that.

Who were the two players they pushed up then and from what positions?

He undoubtedly does have the engine, but several  times second half it was Nagy covering left side (as mentioned by Tinnion) because Callum had run beyond Grimmer and the pass didn’t make it, so he was out of position.  They pushed up into the space because Callum pushed on too far.  He stopped doing all the good things he’d done first half.  His passing angles for Rowe worsened second half.

I'm not going to argue your ratings/my ratings again because we all use different approaches, benchmarks etc. However see the threat and output of CoD during his time on the pitch and comparing that to NW means you should seriously re-think.

I don’t have a problem with people’s ratings either, but you said I watched a totally different game.  I don’t get why some people are so defensive of any critique of Callum?  If people want to praise him so highly that’s fine, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to provide balance either.  His first half was v.good (that’s what we want to see), but to try to excuse his second half contribution as “covering because they pushed 2 players on” is not being balanced, that’s just seeing things through rose-tinted specs.  I’d have been happy if he’d spent all second half defending because of a change in Wycombe’s tactic, I’d appreciate that element as I rate based on his on the ball and off the ball, but he was caught ahead of the ball too often.  Some of that isn’t his fault.  Believe it or not, I don’t just lay everything at his feet.

BBA7EC25-1390-4863-805C-6EDEF3972E79.thumb.jpeg.ef61f52201c3c4fd2f512599719ac078.jpeg

But this is an example of his having pushed on too far, and struggling to get back (Grimmer on the ball).  On this occasion it was Bakinson and Nagy coming over to cover the hole left.

Overall I thought he had a decent game.  Kalas was my motm.  Vyner, Bentley and Martin came next for me.  Of the rest, Callum was probably next in my order (better than Rowe, Bakinson, Nagy).  Wells, Hunt and Semenyo were my bottom 3.    Where would you place Callum in order for his all round performance against the 11 starters?

On to Luton now. Our last two visits were horrible performances and the worst of an away day-something rare in the Lj era where watching City away was generally such a treat compared to this TV crap.

Thanks for responding, comments above.

Archived