IGNORED

JET

22A

Don’t care what he does or does not do in a match, but just one moment of his brilliance as a footballer in the 90 mins  is worth the entry money on its own

A real joy to watch.  Wish there were more players like him around. Just perhaps Semenyo may develop into such a player. Here’s hoping.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Cowshedin respect of Matt Le Tiss, Alan Ball’s father observed him and told his son - he’s the only player I’ve seen that knows how to create space by standing still.  It wasn’t meant in a derogatory way at all, but an observation that whilst everyone else was running around he had time to stand still and find space.

Paul Scholes was another master of that. COYR 

On 22/01/2021 at 01:23, BTRFTG said:

Where to start - Jan Molby, John Robertson, Ronaldo (N), Puskas, John Charles....?

JET for nearly all his playing career has been 6'2" weighing in at 12 1/2 stone.

Naturally fit my ****.

He is 6’4” not 6’2”, either that he had some serious heels on his shoes the time I met him. And 12st 7lbs is positively skinny for someone that height, especially given his body shape.

The problem is that he had the brain and feet of a Premier League footballer and the body shape of a Premiership rugby player...

On 23/01/2021 at 23:07, Dr Balls said:

The problem is that he had the brain and feet of a Premier League footballer and the body shape of a Premiership rugby player...

Thanks to some nerd or other who compiles the 'official' stats it's interesting to note the significant difference between the two footballing forms is weight. The average Premier footballer is microns under 6ft tall, his rugby counterpart only an inch taller. Premier footballers average weight is 12 stone , rugby counterpart 14st 8lbs.

If JET's stats are to be believed (when playing for he's variously listed as between 6'2" - 6'3" tall & 12st 5lbs - 12st 7lbs save for the 'Bible' (aka Rothmans/SSY)which has him at 5'9" & 11st 5lbs (?)) his height/weight are nothing out of the ordinary. Under health guidelines he'd have been the lower end of the 'ideal weight' spectrum for his height. NB doubtless the result of age, lack of training, endless nightclub gigs, cocktails and copious amounts of Pad Thai his fighting weight now as reported in the Pub League wouldn't be out of kilter were he to head South and turn out for The Bears.

Of course what's not listed but is evident if you follow his recreational exploits on social media, is JET had the torso of an inverted, isosceles triangle. Very narrow waist with broadest of shoulders, he played as if he were wearing shoulder pads. It's that shape plus his ungainly gait that folks noticed, alongside his laissez faire attitude.

I contend it was the latter and the latter only that stopped him from reaching the heights.

When JET was up for it, he was something really special, but when he wasn’t, he could be anything from a passenger to dross.

And as per Cruyff, the 3 minutes he had the ball were potentially Premier League, the 87 minutes when he wasn’t on the ball, which is what marks out a top player, could be pub league!

On 23/01/2021 at 12:01, Davefevs said:

@Cowshedin respect of Matt Le Tiss, Alan Ball’s father observed him and told his son - he’s the only player I’ve seen that knows how to create space by standing still.  It wasn’t meant in a derogatory way at all, but an observation that whilst everyone else was running around he had time to stand still and find space.

I once watched Roma play at Wrexham in the Cup Winners Cup. The Brazilian Falcao played for Roma. In typical underdog style, Wrexham played the game at 100 mph, basically trying to close down anything as fast as they could. Amongst all the hustle and bustle Falcao barely seemed to move, but whenever one of his teammates needed an outlet he was there, in acres of space. It was one of the most memorable individual performances I've ever seen. And, of course, give him the ball in space and he'd create something! 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I once watched Roma play at Wrexham in the Cup Winners Cup. The Brazilian Falcao played for Roma. In typical underdog style, Wrexham played the game at 100 mph, basically trying to close down anything as fast as they could. Amongst all the hustle and bustle Falcao barely seemed to move, but whenever one of his teammates needed an outlet he was there, in acres of space. It was one of the most memorable individual performances I've ever seen. And, of course, give him the ball in space and he'd create something! 

image.jpeg.3e710209e8d92242d791f3d4e023c5e3.jpeg

On 21/01/2021 at 18:54, Davefevs said:

I’m sure attitude plays a part, but I don’t think he’s physically built to play at the top level.  He’s a funny shape for a footballer, not fat on him during his time here, but you could see it was a struggle for him to move his frame around the pitch.

I just don't think he could be arsed to run about the pitch.  Every now and again he'd sprint - and we'd always be surprised at how fast he moved when he wanted to.

Basically though, his game was one in which he was happy to stand on the ball for 5 seconds until he could pick out a killer pass or see a way to thread the ball into the box.

He was certainly a one-off. But what close ball control. Phenomenal. 

I just think his (usually) slow movement reflects his sort of laid-back persona, rather than any physical issues. He was always happier talking music than football. A day on a Thai beach over a day in training. 

Impossible not to like the man though. 

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

A goal or assist ever other game for us.

League and jpt double winner.

Delighted and frustrated in equal measure.

Always got you off your seat.

Screamer against the gas.

I bloody loved him.

Agreed. The only player to ever rival Ade Akinbiyi for my favourite ever player... in fact, I think he pips him.

We saw the best of JET. Not many can say that. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Agreed. The only player to ever rival Ade Akinbiyi for my favourite ever player... in fact, I think he pips him.

We saw the best of JET. Not many can say that. 

I often think of who were the players that we saw the best of who didn`t tear up trees when they left us. Not the effectively `one-club` men like Tom Ritchie, Sir Gerry, Clive Whitehead,  Scotty or Tins but others who we sold on.

JET is the obvious one but I always think we had the best of Sam Baldock too. Marvin Elliott was another as was Darren Barnard.

Archived