IGNORED

For the love of God, sack him!

dREDful

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

The problem is the STRATEGY.

The strategy that SL developed and is - currently - wedded to.

The strategy delivered Holden. I strongly suspect no other serious candidate would work within the strategy framework.

SL’s strategy is not questioned within the Club as everyone in power  - particularly the CEO - has a major self- interest in maintaining the status quo. Only a few players, who can see what this unhealthy situation is doing to their own careers, are starting to question things. 

SL needs someone from outside of the current set up to come in and review the strategy. An independent audit by an experienced and qualified football man. That is being smart. Slavishly following a strategy which, at best, has failed to deliver and at worse is starting to show serious inherent flaws is not good practice in any business.

The whole set up needs review, Academy, Player Development, Coaching, Fitness, Medical, Player Analysis, Transfers, the Manager and CEO performance. Several aspects will pass scrutiny - with tweaks. Several, I suspect, would fail. 

NOW is the time to conduct the review... we need to put things right in advance of the end of season.

Will SL do it? Doubt it and, as a consequence, we will not progress. 

The broader Bristol Sport strategy also needs review... but I suspect will score better than the football one.

The Bristol Sport concept btw, in my opinion, is great - although I do wonder about the use of transferable skills, knowledge within the group and whether we are using opportunities that exist to best advantage. 

Whilst SL employs a CEO (Ashton), I don’t think it makes much difference who the coach is as Ashton has the final say - hereby lies the problem. And IMO, the buck stops with him. And as mentioned earlier in this thread, noone is going to speak out against Aston for fear of reprisals from him. Rules by fear almost.

I’ve said it before. We will never get promoted with the lansdowns at the helm. Business wise fantastic. Brand new training facility. £50m spent on the ground . Then we get to the football side of things. He appoints mark Ashton who who’s allowed to run the club in his own way , going to SL with recommendations and signing offof financial deals. Mark Ashton who has set up his own recruitment & scouting  team . He openly admitted on twentyman s show some managers wouldn’t work under that system. That’s why we ended up with Holden . It’s his first job and a championship job at that. Do you think Paul cook would work under Ashton or anyone else with any pedigree , no chance.

I agree what others have said . We’re repeating history . It really smacks of the fall out after GJ left and the couple of years after where ended up with ageing unbalanced squad of players that didn’t want to be here and ultimately relegation. We’re not quite there yet but that’s where this is heading unless it’s nipped in the bud . 

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

I'll help you remember; when he converted Reid into a striker that was a master stroke when some on here would have taken £250k and driven him to his next club. We benefited with that high energy game plan.

Then you only have to think back to the start of last season with Pack being sold and Nagy coming in along with Afobe. You could see a clear game plan and style there of moving the ball quickly through the angles.

Although I think LJ had run his course, and I was glad when he went,  I'd imagine he might have got a higher finish out of these players than we're likely to see from Holden.

12 points from the last 10 league games.  Bottom third of the table form.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although I think LJ had run his course, and I was glad when he went,  I'd imagine he might have got a higher finish out of these players than we're likely to see from Holden.

12 points from the last 10 league games.  Bottom third of the table form.

Yes, I agree that LJ (and I would add) his coaching team had inevitably run its course, that's why we're experiencing the same problems again.

1 minute ago, Swede said:

Yes, I agree that LJ (and I would add) his coaching team had inevitably run its course, that's why we're experiencing the same problems again.

I suppose that this is why we as supporters are so infuriated by the situation. 

Lee had got us to within touching distance but didn't quite have the chops to land a Top 6 finish. Nonetheless, over the season, we had got used to winning more than we lost.

However the continuity candidate who was appointed to succeed him seems to be Lee + added inexperience and it's driving us backwards.

I happened to be looking the other day at some of the teams we put out and the results achieved in the Millen/McInnes/SOD era.  God, that was a depressing time.

I think we all dread being back in that continual bramble patch again. 

3 hours ago, Swede said:

There are plenty of talented coaches out there with fresh ideas who would work inside this type of European coaching framework. Our last Head Coach came with fresh ideas and a game plan. He brought like minded people in to help support that.

All the Hierarchy have done is sacked the head coach but employed his assistant, someone with the same ideas but not the vision of a head coach. Its the "Millen Factor" all over again. A great number 2 but hasn't got the depth to be a head coach. After being sacked by us he was quite happy going back to being a number 2 at Palace and there's nothing wrong in that. Its knowing your level.

If they didn't want to employ a "big name" there are plenty of other coaches and ex pros who've played top level football looking to move into management. Yesterday was a prime example.

Agreed. Lots of great coaches out there - not necessarily big names. DH seems to me like a good No.2 but I’m not seeing great leadership (which would be reflected in the way the team play) or vision. 

I think most people can agree that Dean is out of his depth and I think SL and MA knew that at the time of his appointment so to help, they bring in two coaches from the England set up. We were playing better football before so in my opinion, they deserve more stick then Dean. Yes we have many injuries but with the players we have left, we should be better then we are. It’s all down to training and tactics and Holden’s left and right hand are not cutting it.

Can't ignore the terrible boring football anymore, he us is out of his depth, but we know Lansdown will do nothing, because that us his default option. As a club at the moment we are in decline, but when you look at the young talent we have how the he'll is the team so drab and dull? 

We had a chance, great start, but just like every other season we whimp out and become a soft touch, no backbone, no fight, no hope, get someone in who knows how to manage players. 

I have seen a few managers come and go, this one is NOT a manager in any shape or form, backroom staff at the best.

23 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Ah yes, the famous LJ game plan that worked so well. Perhaps you could remind us of it?

i know the football thus far on DH has been shyte but let’s not start making things up

Changing a relegation team into ab established championship club pushing for the play-offs,

Could quite get that final bit and was sacked

Don't rewrite history

21 hours ago, Swede said:

I'll help you remember; when he converted Reid into a striker that was a master stroke when some on here would have taken £250k and driven him to his next club. 

The idea of playing Reid up front came from the backroom analysts.

LJ said so himself.

11 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

He (and some of his players) must be so grateful that no fans are present to witness his "style" 

Can you imagine the reaction when 18,000 people have sat in the freezing cold and not seen a shot on goal week after week.

Feels like exaggeration to make a point- our home form, from a low base and with a low bar granted, is actually the best in a while- PPG anyway.

If anything, the shot shy games have come away from home of late- though happy to go back and check.

In one of the match day threads, unfortunately I could not find the post, but someone had put up a comment by Kallas to the effect of who has the best coach will win in the Derby match, now unsure if this is being taken out of context or mis-quoted, but if true does this suggest that DH is losing the confidence of the players? I think a question was also asked in another interview about the enjoyment of playing backs to the wall maybe after the Huddersfield game, and was said it was OK when you win but not all the time or words to that effect

Experienced players will see through a coach with lack of ideas and experience

The world some of you live in is frankly astonishing.

Football is dire yes but what on earth do you expect with the amount of injuries we have had.

Look at the amount of league appearances from our last starting line up.

Given everything going on in the world were not and are not going to get in a new man who would want 6 signings, suck it up.

5 hours ago, RedHienz said:

Football is dire yes but what on earth do you expect with the amount of injuries we have had.

Given everything going on in the world were not and are not going to get in a new man who would want 6 signings, suck it up.

If we take your point on injuries as a fair one let’s see what happens over the next month to six weeks. We will have O’Dowda, Williams and Pato back over that time. If we are still getting roasted by mid table teams at home and scabbing results what do you put it down to then?

Interestingly we approaching season ticket time and I know for a fact that club officials read this forum. Don’t be surprised if Holden tries something radically different over the next few weeks on the basis that the club will think we have enough points in the bag if it goes wrong and also that the current football will simply see them fail to shift season tickets in the numbers they need.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If we take your point on injuries as a fair one let’s see what happens over the next month to six weeks. We will have O’Dowda, Williams and Pato back over that time. If we are still getting roasted by mid table teams at home and scabbing results what do you put it down to then?

Interestingly we approaching season ticket time and I know for a fact that club officials read this forum. Don’t be surprised if Holden tries something radically different over the next few weeks on the basis that the club will think we have enough points in the bag if it goes wrong and also that the current football will simply see them fail to shift season tickets in the numbers they need.

I wonder given what's happening in the world, how many will gamble on buying a season ticket. It won't be the football being dished up that will be the deciding factor.

It was only a few weeks back that all was rosy and fans would be allowed back into stadiums. Within about 48 hours that all went tits up.

Will it happen again ..... yes is my bet regrettably.

On 31/01/2021 at 13:38, Swede said:

I'll help you remember; when he converted Reid into a striker that was a master stroke when some on here would have taken £250k and driven him to his next club. We benefited with that high energy game plan.

Then you only have to think back to the start of last season with Pack being sold and Nagy coming in along with Afobe. You could see a clear game plan and style there of moving the ball quickly through the angles.

We will be swapping places with Sunderland before long 

On 31/01/2021 at 13:38, Swede said:

As nobody has asked, I am interested. What angles are you referring to? Or do you mean playing through the thirds? 

1 hour ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

I think it was Deano actually who suggested it 

LJ just said backroom analysts (or similar phrase) as far as I remember - if DH was in any way responsible you'd imagine LJ would have name checked him personally.

On 31/01/2021 at 13:49, steviestevieneville said:

I’ve said it before. We will never get promoted with the lansdowns at the helm. Business wise fantastic. Brand new training facility. £50m spent on the ground . Then we get to the football side of things. He appoints mark Ashton who who’s allowed to run the club in his own way , going to SL with recommendations and signing offof financial deals. Mark Ashton who has set up his own recruitment & scouting  team . He openly admitted on twentyman s show some managers wouldn’t work under that system. That’s why we ended up with Holden . It’s his first job and a championship job at that. Do you think Paul cook would work under Ashton or anyone else with any pedigree , no chance.

I agree what others have said . We’re repeating history . It really smacks of the fall out after GJ left and the couple of years after where ended up with ageing unbalanced squad of players that didn’t want to be here and ultimately relegation. We’re not quite there yet but that’s where this is heading unless it’s nipped in the bud . 

Great post very true .

On 31/01/2021 at 13:49, steviestevieneville said:

He's putting production as a greater priority than product, without noticing that when fans are hungry they might be interested in the factory, but ultimately they just want the best burger it can produce.

18 hours ago, RedHienz said:

I for one expect a Bristol City team with the best keeper in the championship, over 30 million pounds worth of talent in the back 4, full international players in midfield

2 5 million strikers up front to at least be competitive and register some ******* shots on goal more then 4 we've hand in the last 3 matchs

Stop using injuries as an excuse for failure,

We still had the most expensive squad in the entire history on the club out on that pitch against Huddersfield and Derby and we put in performances I'd be embarrassed to associate with an under 11's side

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I for one expect a Bristol City team with the best keeper in the championship, over 30 million pounds worth of talent in the back 4, full international players in midfield

2 5 million strikers up front to at least be competitive and register some ******* shots on goal more then 4 we've hand in the last 3 matchs

Stop using injuries as an excuse for failure,

We still had the most expensive squad in the entire history on the club out on that pitch against Huddersfield and Derby and we put in performances I'd be embarrassed to associate with an under 11's side

Agree.  It’s not like we’ve had to pick players that are really not up to it (some posters might not agree with that).  Every player has at some point played a part in good performances, results, etc.  I don’t doubt that it’s not always been our strongest eleven, but there is still a base level of expectation that has not been achieved several times, even if only for a half on some occasions.  I pull my hair out at some of the games, and I’m generally pretty forgiving.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  It’s not like we’ve had to pick players that are really not up to it (some posters might not agree with that).  Every player has at some point played a part in good performances, results, etc.  I don’t doubt that it’s not always been our strongest eleven, but there is still a base level of expectation that has not been achieved several times, even if only for a half on some occasions.  I pull my hair out at some of the games, and I’m generally pretty forgiving.

What’s also glaringly obvious Dave is also the inconsistent and unreliable individual and team performances (Not helped it has to be said by constant formation changes and players playing out of position)

I don’t know whether you keep your ratings score anywhere but it would make an interesting read over the season and how many players we have that hit a 7 on any consistent basis , how many games in a row 

Archived