IGNORED

Imagine what Cotts could do with this squad...

Fordy62

7 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Where in my post did I say Johnson was the messiah? I said he saved us with Pemberton that season which he did! 

Not sure where you get I think Johnson is the greatest manager ever? 

He saved us as we were heading straight back down and improved us (league position not necessarily quality of football) every year thereafter until his final season. He wasn't amazing but he wasn't bad either. And in terms of Bristol City managers down the years (sadly) he is one of the more successful!

On 09/02/2021 at 21:55, Fordy62 said:

Do you genuinely believe he’d do worse than Holden is currently?

Yes when he got sacked we were in the relegation zone losing games didn’t look like winning!
Has never excelled at this level Burnley being the only club he did semi-alright with and that was 14 years ago! 
he seems to do very well in lower leagues! But the rumours are he’s doesn’t handle players very well especially if they think they’re a bit big time!

12 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Yes when he got sacked we were in the relegation zone losing games didn’t look like winning!
Has never excelled at this level Burnley being the only club he did semi-alright with and that was 14 years ago! 
he seems to do very well in lower leagues! But the rumours are he’s doesn’t handle players very well especially if they think they’re a bit big time!

His days of anything better than league 1 are long gone.

Was successful getting us up and did the job required (playing well too). But right decision made to move him on.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Was successful getting us up and did the job required (playing well too). But right decision made to move him on.

Exactly thank the man for getting us up and remember that time fondly but let’s not start pining after a man who’s never shone at this level and got sacked 5 years ago and done nothing of note since!

20 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Based on his apparent crumbling relationship with the hierarchy I suppose you are right; an untenable position. Had that been hunky dory I am confident he would have recruited the players he needed instead he was callously and cowardly undermined.

In addition to those sentiments and with the benefit of hindsight his replacement turned out to be a retrograde step. 

And LJ's replacement was a further retrograde step. The owner has form here going back 20 years but whether that is entirely his doing or the CEO or other directors perhaps we can never be privy to.

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

In addition to those sentiments and with the benefit of hindsight his replacement turned out to be a retrograde step. 

Not for me. Survival and seasons of improvement with league position. 

The next appointment is the key one as Holden, I believe, is a short-term appointment.

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Steve Cotterill manages Shrewsbury. If he is so bloody brilliant then why is he there and not at a club which is relevant? 

Perhaps the 25% win ratio at his last job put prospective employers off?

(To be fair, Cotts' career swings between clubs he's been a big success - us, Cheltenham, Notts County, Shrewsbury so far - and "the rest". I think you'll find that with most managers. Each job faces its unique set of circumstances which is why Mr X might succeed at club Y but not at club Z. Horses very much need to be matched to courses. It's why simplistic comparisons like "Cotts was great and Johnson was crap" are not really valid. Each faced different challenges at different times.)

If we'd signed the loanees all on permanent deals (ie Smith, Saville, Tavernier) and picked the best of that squad now it would comfortably beat the current side.  Our current lot possibly have more talent but lack the character, leadership and guts of the promotion winning side.  They clearly got on really well whereas I really don't get that impression at the moment.

Archived