IGNORED

"We'll get value by playing him", really?

headhunter

So said Mark Ashton during the transfer window when talking about not accepting a cheap offer for our record signing.

Based on the last couple of games Fam doesn't look interested now that the window is shut.

This was discussed in this recording of last night's live podcast along with City's undoing by VAR at Bramall Lane, worry over another Williams injury, is our season over, should we play the kids and how long before the pressure really starts to mount on Holden:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/the-magic-of-the-cup/ ; also available on Apple Podcasts & Spotify

2 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Holden should have taken him off at half time & made an example of him in front of the team as his HT talk.

Fam is clearly coasting toward an exit, shame as he can usually be relied  upon & is now losing the respect of fans.

I wouldn’t play him the rest of the season , if Fam gets injured (highly likely at this club) a jog signing on fee and wages are gone. You would expect he’s got a deal ready for the end of the season whether that’s here or aboard 

From his perspective, can you blame him? More than likely he’s got a move lined up to Turkey/Middle East/China or one of the middling top leagues in Europe and has a big wage packet + sign on fee to look forward to.

Naturally his heart isn’t going to be in it really and obviously he won’t want to injure himself. Psychologically it’s human nature to dial things in a bit in that situation. 

These guys aren’t fans of the club. Whilst effort and exertion is the minimum requirement for fans - in a situation like this a player will look after their own interests.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

From his perspective, can you blame him? More than likely he’s got a move lined up to Turkey/Middle East/China or one of the middling top leagues in Europe and has a big wage packet + sign on fee to look forward to.

Naturally his heart isn’t going to be in it really and obviously he won’t want to injure himself. Psychologically it’s human nature to dial things in a bit in that situation. 

These guys aren’t fans of the club. Whilst effort and exertion is the minimum requirement for fans - in a situation like this a player will look after their own interests.

Numerous games , and periods , throughout his time here when his ‘heart doesn’t look in it’

The current one just another

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Numerous games , and periods , throughout his time here when his ‘heart doesn’t look in it’

I think throughout his time here his form has fluctuated. It’s very noticeable when his does because when he’s on form he’s heavily involved in defence and attack so is very visible on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

I reckon he’s just tired. 

Doesn’t strike me as the sort of player to down tools. 8 games in a row. Probs needs a game off.

Agreed. Should’ve added a disclaimer to my post that it was based on the idea that ‘if it’s true that he’s disinterested’.

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

You beat me to it, I was about to say the same. Fam has always been inconsistent. I think some are just looking at him through rose coloured glasses and forget the periods when he has been poor, and has been dropped. It’s difficult to drop him now due to the injury situation 

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

Diedhou performances are starting to be like a player who can't be bothered and won't risk himself and who can blame him and its the club and Ashtons fault 

Hes getting paid to play properly. Perhaps the club shouldn't be bothered to pay him.

I realise last night the main villain (other than VAR) was Nakki (I know you are there & wide open, but let me shoot instead) Wells.

But has anyone else got the impression that since the window has closed Fam now appears to be "back on the beach" and only playing at 75%/80% of the levels we know he can..

Its going to be a long old run in to the end of the season, if he does not kick on and give us the same levels of effort that he put in during the January transfer window..

Just now, brady bunch said:

I realise last night the main villain (other than VAR) was Nakki (I know you are there & wide open, but let me shoot instead) Wells.

But has anyone else got the impression that since the window has closed Fam now appears to be "back on the beach" and only playing at 75%/80% of the levels we know he can..

Its going to be a long old run in to the end of the season, if he does not kick on and give us the same levels of effort that he put in during the January transfer window..

He's had three poor games on the spin now. I would seriously put Semenyo or Bell up there on Saturday to make a point.

3 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Fam doesn't strike me as the type to not put the effort in. 

Much more likely to be as a result of having covid IMO, and now suffering from fatigue. 

31 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Fear not, we've been promised we'll get full value from Fam on the pitch!

Inconsistency has always been Fams problem and is precisely the reason that losing him isn’t an issue. Giving him another 3 year contract is just asking for more of the same. We just have to ask ourselves - is this the man who we want to lead our line for the next 3 years? Most of us I’d imagine would answer no. We need to move on now and so does he!

32 minutes ago, 054123 said:

A really good player for us over the years, with the ability to help us in our struggles.

A shame that it’s all fizzling out like this.

It’s a myth . He’s been decent in this last year. In essence , his touch is shocking , his hold up play shocking , awareness / football intelligence shocking . His goal return is ok . Teflon said we’ve offered him the best contract ever( if you believe him) he’s not worth it . 
A lot of fans though get blinded because he tries hard. That should be the minimum requirement of any player. 

100% on the money Headhunter, I just started a similar topic, before realising you had beaten me to it. He looks to be "on the beach" and I think is going to stay on the beach, cocktail in one hand, huge cheque book in the other, until the summer and he is off on a preset big money (for him) move..

You cannot really blame him for it (but he should make an effort still), the power is with the players these days as JP said correctly on commentary last night.

Just now, 2015 said:

When I see Nahki just standing around and Fam ambling around slowly jogging it really annoys me. 

In the summer we need to sign forwards who press from the front

We need coaches who encourage that type of play. We rarely press opposition and that is how teams win in this league. Wells and Fam aren’t natural types for that game but it does not seem like they are being instructed to be a big part of the defence

I’m always slightly reticent to criticise our strikers too much, however crap they look (hello Nahki Wells), as the football this team play is a disgrace and the strikers are largely asked to perform a completely thankless task, but he’s been absolutely shocking in the last four games. 

It could of course be nothing more than a coincidence that December into January was probably the best form Diedhiou has shown for City, and then since then his form has absolutely dropped off a cliff. You can see why the timings of that look slightly dodgy though!

I should qualify this by admitting I’m not his biggest fan, but I’d much, much rather have sold him last summer or in January then have had him as a player for the season. I also personally find suggestions that City should just offer him whatever it takes to keep him as absolutely mad.

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I’m always slightly reticent to criticise our strikers too much, however crap they look (hello Nahki Wells), as the football this team play is a disgrace and the strikers are largely asked to perform a completely thankless task, but he’s been absolutely shocking in the last four games. 

It could of course be nothing more than a coincidence that December into January was probably the best form Diedhiou has shown for City, and then since then his form has absolutely dropped off a cliff. You can see why the timings of that look slightly dodgy though!

I should qualify this by admitting I’m not his biggest fan, but I’d much, much rather have sold him last summer or in January then have had him as a player for the season. I also personally find suggestions that City should just offer him whatever it takes to keep him as absolutely mad.

Should have traded him about 18 months after he arrived

Archived