IGNORED

Mawson Injured again

Smokey

31 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Are you honestly trying to suggest Flint was put in the centre to act as a ball playing centre back and not as a first ball, dominant centre half? You always play your least mobile, most dominant player in the centre as in a 3 the Left and right central defenders need to be comfortable on the ball and reasonably quick. Moore and Vyner are better on the ball than Kalas, but Kalas is the most dominant of the three. The other option is Mariappa at RCB. He hasn't played particularly well, but he has mostly been played out of position.

Not necessarily true. Maybe less popular  today - granted, but the most mobile, technically sound player would often be played in the middle, as a sweeper.
I had a strange fascination with Matthias Sammer. Not the greatest player to ever play that position but I loved watching him play. 

32 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Are you honestly trying to suggest Flint was put in the centre to act as a ball playing centre back and not as a first ball, dominant centre half?

No, but I think you’re being too binary with you’re approaching how the likes of Flint and the roles players are asked to play.  I don’t think he was picked specifically for either of the things you are suggesting, although his 6’5” frame was certainly a deterrent to opponents hitting long balls down the middle.  Hence they targeted Ayling and Williams, who were decent aerially too.

Cotts 352 was pretty unique at the time, was about the side CBs being the attacking players.  We are only more au fait with it as the likes of Wilder implemented it as well.  This is not a Franz Beckenbauer, sweeper system, coming forward through the middle of the pitch is it?  Ayling and Williams were the ball carriers, not Flint.  So no I’m not suggesting he was picked as a ball carrying CB at all.  He didn’t really fit the side CB role though because if his limitations on the ball.  But he could defend and he certainly attacked opposition crosses well.

You always play your least mobile, most dominant player in the centre as in a 3 the Left and right central defenders need to be comfortable on the ball and reasonably quick.

Always?  You can choose to do that, but you don’t have to.  You can play it multiple ways.  Was Walker, Butcher and Wright conventional in 1990?  Butcher the dominant one aerially and slowest played on the outside. Wright the “sweeper”, and Walker the other side.

in the side I played in we didn’t do as you “suggest”.  We won Western League Div1 in 1994.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Moore and Vyner are better on the ball than Kalas, but Kalas is the most dominant of the three.

and I think that is part of the problem.  We are compensating potential weaknesses in Moore and Vyner, by playing Kalas as the “cover”, but in doing so are creating other weaknesses.  Who provides the cover when Kalas goes for a ball aerially....and loses the challenge.  That is the flaw imho.

The other option is Mariappa at RCB. He hasn't played particularly well, but he has mostly been played out of position.

Comments above.  ⬆️⬆️⬆️

11 minutes ago, SBB said:

Not necessarily true. Maybe less popular  today - granted, but the most mobile, technically sound player would often be played in the middle, as a sweeper.
I had a strange fascination with Matthias Sammer. Not the greatest player to ever play that position but I loved watching him play. 

Great player. As a CB I loved him growing up. Always wondered as a  young ‘un why we didn’t play with a sweeper more (England) especially as it worked so well in 1990. Seemed a very cultured thing to do (answered my own question!)

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Great player. As a CB I loved him growing up. Always wondered as a  young ‘un why we didn’t play with a sweeper more (England) especially as it worked so well in 1990. Seemed a very cultured thing to do (answered my own question!)

Exactly the same here!

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 minutes ago, SBB said:

Exactly the same here!

I’m probably a bit older than you two, I always liked Gaetano Scirea the Italian CB / Sweeper. Died in a car crash, in his mid-30s.  Very sad.

I liked Koeman too in that Dutch side with splitting CBs.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I’m probably a bit older than you two, I always liked Gaetano Scirea the Italian CB / Sweeper. Died in a car crash, in his mid-30s.  Very sad.

I liked Koeman too in that Dutch side with splitting CBs.

Loved Koeman as well but always seemed a bit more workmanlike than Sammer imho. All relative though as Ronald was great and had the set piece in his locker as well. Heard of Scirea but never saw him, too young as you say. 

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

I suppose you can play with anything but must be painful.

There was that Rugby League player a few years back who ruptured a testicle in the first half but played out the game.

......and Bert Trautmann played on with a broken neck!!!

2 hours ago, SBB said:

Ancient history though mate, there are no teams in the British leagues playing with a sweeper now. When I talk about a back three, I am not talking about the old continental system of a ball playing 'sweeper' who plays behind 2 dominant centre halves, I'm talking about the British back three of 2021 which relies on a ball winner in the middle and two mobile players either side of him. Trust me when I say it will be Kalas in the middle tomorrow (as long as he's not injured ?) with two out of Mariappa, Vyner and Moore either side of him.

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

16 major injuries in a single season, think that’s more than enough to question any of the tactics/medical approaches tbh. 

Spot on. They'd do better to cut the training session duration by 50%.

Injuries would dimish and the quality of training/coaching is abysmal anyway 

9 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Ancient history though mate, there are no teams in the British leagues playing with a sweeper now. When I talk about a back three, I am not talking about the old continental system of a ball playing 'sweeper' who plays behind 2 dominant centre halves, I'm talking about the British back three of 2021 which relies on a ball winner in the middle and two mobile players either side of him. Trust me when I say it will be Kalas in the middle tomorrow (as long as he's not injured ?) with two out of Mariappa, Vyner and Moore either side of him.

I’m sure you’re right.  But ask yourself is that selection for the right reasons whether it’s Moore and Vyner outside him or Mariappa and Vyner?  Is it based on football attributes for the position or his leadership (?) and organisation skills (albeit football attributes also imho), or perhaps his pace?  Or is it a lack of true trust in Vyner or Moore in the central role.  You might argue Vyner and Moore looked a bit better in a two in some games.

I think it’s a compromise.  It might be the right compromise, but I’d like to see Moore central with Vyner and Kalas outside....just once.

7 hours ago, BigTone said:

I suppose you can play with anything but must be painful.

There was that Rugby League player a few years back who ruptured a testicle in the first half but played out the game.

Yes but they're much more careful with brain injuries these days.

Incidentally we are a keeper short but think this is a really strong side...

Mawson                           Baker

Sessegnon                                                                                                Dasilva

Rowe

Walsh                                        Paterson

Weimann                                                      Martin                                       O’Dowda

7 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

I am sure during our extensive pre signing process we looked into his injury history. I am no detective but there were a few signals 

The cause of injury had appeared ordinary until now, with manager Claudio Ranieri revealing he suffered the injury by simply putting on his boots.

"It was a very strange injury. He just changed his boots. It was unbelievable," Ranieri said in a press conference ahead of Sunday's clash with Spurs, as per the BBC.

"He needs more time. How long? I don't know."

He was talking about Mawson 

Probably been said already but this sounds odd to me, I'd say he was never fully fit and rushed back. I think he oozes class on his day, but the last couple of games he's been way off his best. That mistake against Derby (I think? Stretched for the ball awkwardly and missed it/didnt get enough on it) seemed uncharacteristic to me and he's looked a bit sluggish.

As others said, he was sent off not taken off injured so he was either playing with that injury or he's done it since.

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Probably been said already but this sounds odd to me, I'd say he was never fully fit and rushed back. I think he oozes class on his day, but the last couple of games he's been way off his best. That mistake against Derby (I think? Stretched for the ball awkwardly and missed it/didnt get enough on it) seemed uncharacteristic to me and he's looked a bit sluggish.

As others said, he was sent off not taken off injured so he was either playing with that injury or he's done it since.

Agree with this.

There is something about the club that is very cloak and dagger these days

Archived