IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He did an interview a while ago for the rugby - it was on the bristol sport website but I can't find it now - in which he Lansdown was wearing a Bears official merchandise top.

The thought immediately occurred, when has he ever  done an interview wearing a City top??? Never, of course.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories ("he's more interested in the rugby these days...") but it did strike me as very odd.

Wish I could find the video now because it was very odd for a number of reasons

Have you ever worn anything your kids made in textiles at school?  No.  Exactly ???

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Rugby is different and has a different cost base.  Pat Lam is exceptional but before him Robinson didn’t work as well.  Football is different and Lam is the equivalent of Pep Guardiola.

For me, this is the most troubling statement because it highlights the problem. 

Nobody expects a club our size to sign Pep Guardiola or anyone at that level of football management. What it shows though is Steve recognises that we need the best manager we can get at our level. 

You will never convince me that the right man for the job at the time was Dean Holden. That it no way fits with the above statement. Managers who had achieved real success at Championship level, who were interested in the job and wanted to have it, were available. 

33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He did an interview a while ago for the rugby - it was on the bristol sport website but I can't find it now - in which he Lansdown was wearing a Bears official merchandise top.

The thought immediately occurred, when has he ever  done an interview wearing a City top??? Never, of course.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories ("he's more interested in the rugby these days...") but it did strike me as very odd.

To be fair to him I'm pretty sure that red and white tie he's always wearing is a city one.

Imagine having a full kit w*nker as an owner!

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Imagine the scenes on here if Sl’s interview today was on the telly and he was wearing a "Bristol Bears - Top of the League" shirt. :shocking:

Looking back, fair play to SL for coming on R. Bristol tonight, but it just left me feeling like nothing had been really answered.

Dean Holden over Chris Hughton, for example.

The question wasn't even hinted at.

Yes, he could well pull the trigger on DH, but what inspires you to believe the next appointment will be an exciting one?

For me, nothing.

Just now, IAmNick said:

To be fair to him I'm pretty sure that red and white tie he's always wearing is a city one.

Imagine having a full kit w*nker as an owner!

Remember that chancer ( Michael Knighton?) who was going to buy Man U back in the day and was on the pitch before a game wearing full kit and doing ball juggling.

Don't see that as SL’s style though. 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Remember that chancer ( Michael Knighton?) who was going to buy Man U back in the day and was on the pitch before a game wearing full kit and doing ball juggling.

Don't see that as SL’s style though. 

At Lansdown's age there'd probably be a bit of ball juggling to stop them drooping out the bottom of the shorts...

Just listened again, and in fairness it was a more conciliatory interview from SL than usual. 

Whilst he did throw Holden under a bus, I thought his defence of Ashton wasn't all that convincing, and acknowledgement that he needs to take a look at his own decision-making should be welcomed. 

But what we need now is action. Holden will be gone, possibly by Saturday if tomorrow night goes badly. Then what? Is there a plan of action going forward? No hints were given of one and instead it looks more likely we'll continue to muddle on as before. 

Not sure he needed to single Wells out for criticism either, sure that will do his confidence the world of good. To get your best strikers scoring goals you need to play them in the correct position and create chances for them. 

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Mark (Ashton) gets a lot of stick from fans and its unjustified.

Works behind the scenes, with the Football League to protect our position

What he means is my position.

As in, "I admit I don't have a clue about football so I've employed someone who assures me he does".

As in, "I used to have a Chief Exec* who let Cotterill and Burt set up deals for Gray, Maguire, Gayle until I heard how much it would cost, refused to fund the deals, got shot of the Chief Exec, ruined my relationship with our most successful manager in years and employed a puppet CEO to make sure no-one but me decided how to spend my money - me, the bloke who has already confessed to knowing jack shit about football"     

* Wish I could remember the name of the CEO before Ashton - left un expectedly without any real explanation, obviously connected to the fact that, on his watch, Cotterill and Burt had pressed ahead with setting up deals for players Lansdown didn' want to pay for 

14 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

If you ever felt like packing it all in after that it finally convinced me 

Oh, did he not convince you of being a man with a burning ambition to get to the Prem?

:laugh: No, me neither.

Owners with those intentions generally appoint someone who has a serious chance of acheiving that aim.

Dean Holden was, apparently the outstanding man to give us that chance.

Imagine being desperate for that Lotto win, but not even bothering to buy a ticket.

56 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

We’ve missed the boat on a lot of managers in the last few years. 

Ivor, I hope you’ve discovered the secret of long life, because Bristol Sport is here to stay. The days when football clubs had a proper board of directors with a chairman have gone except, perhaps, at lower league level. Now clubs are bought by one man (it always seems to be men) who has a few million / billion to throw around. It’s their money so, not surprisingly, they want total control.  SL appears to have given control to Ashton, but he still has the power to sack him at a moment’s notice if he wishes. 

No at 75 I am unlikely to see the club I want, but by like measure SL won’t be here forever, and no one is likely to want Bristol Sport; it will one day be broken up.

I firmly believe that medium to long term SL’s 19th century idea of management is also unsustainable 

I may not see it but hopefully my grandsons will, 5th generation supporters.  Our family was here a century before SL and will be there a century after.  That’s what proper fans are - in it forever.

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Oh, did he not convince you of being a man with a burning ambition to get to the Prem?

:laugh: No, me neither.

Those with those intentions generally appoint someone who has a serious chance of acheiving that aim.

Dean Holden was, apparently the outstanding man to give us that chance.

Imagine being desperate for that Lotto win, but not even bothering to buy a ticket.

This is me to be fair.

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What he means is my position.

As in, "I admit I don't have a clue about football so I've employed someone who assures me he does".

As in, "I used to have a Chief Exec* who let Cotterill and Burt set up deals for Gray, Maguire, Gayle until I heard how much it would cost, refused to fund the deals, sacked of the Chief Exec, ruined my relationship with our most successful manager and employed a puppet CEO to make sure no-one but me decided how to spend my money - me, the bloke who has already confessed to knowing jack shit about football"     

* Wish I could remember the name of the CEO before Ashton - cam with credentials but left un expectedly without any real explanation, obviously connected to the fact that, on his watch, Cotterill and Burt had pressed ahead with setting up deals for players Lansdown ultimately refused to pay for 

John Pelling CEO before Ashton?

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Mark Ashton's work at the EFL where he protects our position within the hierarchy"

No, that's what you appoint a manager for, Steve. 

It's a very "business" approach isn't it, making sure you have the right man in the right meeting with the right people

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

has the interviewer asked him about MA?

Getd unfair stick ??

Getd unfair stick ??

Getd unfair stick ??

Getd unfair stick ??