IGNORED

Benik Afobe update

mozo

I'd forgotten about Benik, but took a quick look...

Still only 28 years old, Benik's on loan at Trabzonspor this season in the Turkish top flight.

He started well. He was a regular starter and scored 3 in the first 6 games. The team wasn't picking up too many points however, and the goals dried up for Benik.

One big change was Eddie Newton, who knew Benik and brought him in, getting the boot.

Next, Afobe went off injured with a neck spasm before a game in December and whilst it was only short term, his minutes became limited.

In 2021 so far, Benik has only been granted an hour of pitch time in his accumulated cameos from the bench. This coincided with a big upturn in form for the team who are up to 4th and back in the title race.

He says he wants to return to England and, with his loan ending in June, would we have him back?

Source: there's an interview on The Beautiful Game podcast on Youtube

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

I

He says he wants to return to England and, with his loan ending in June, would we have him back?

Source: there's an interview on The Beautiful Game podcast on Youtube

If costs allowed and NP fancied him then yes I would. The thought of him linking up with KP again makes me very happy.

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If costs allowed and NP fancied him then yes I would. The thought of him linking up with KP again makes me very happy.

He mentions in the interview that one of the highlights during his time at City was linking up with Kasey. He says it with a massive smile.

He has another year on his Stoke contract so a fee would probably be involved and isn't he on big bucks there?

If he was on a free and costs were reasonable then maybe but that isn't gonna happen.

sadly for Benik, his injury record will work against him IMHO, fine player though if he could just stay fit.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

He has another year on his Stoke contract so a fee would probably be involved and isn't he on big bucks there?

If he was on a free and costs were reasonable then maybe but that isn't gonna happen.

sadly for Benik, his injury record will work against him IMHO, fine player though if he could stay fit.

This season Benik has only missed one game due to injury I believe.

But yeah, it might be fair to put him in that higher risk category. 

48 minutes ago, mozo said:

He mentions in the interview that one of the highlights during his time at City was linking up with Kasey. He says it with a massive smile.

I get the impression it's more to do with friendship, beliefs and family rather than football.

I would love to see Benik play for us again. We've all had a bad year but what that guy went through after his injury with us was quite unbearable. He's been a very good striker in the past, my heart says give him another chance to win a place in Bristol City's history.

Afobe has unfinished business here.

For me he is a top class striker who would easily fit in here. There are the inevitable question marks over his long term fitness but he was certainly not ready when he came back and played later in the season. Maybe with a more experienced Manager overseeing he would've seen things differently. He will be available cut price as almost certainly Stoke don't want him and he definately doesn't want to be there.

He's a different type of striker to Wells. He can play as a lone striker or through the middle. Or run the channels and angles. A perfect foil for Kasey Palmer.

I think a lot depends on the contract situation with Diedhiou but a top quality striker who loved his time here who is available  . . . It's a no brainer for me 

27 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why did he go and play in Turkey?

Probably because trabzonspor were prepared to take on his wages are a  fairly big club and there is the chance to play in either the Europa or Champions league with them.. Believe it or not there is actually a big wide footballing world outside of the English footballing pyramid you know!

27 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why did he go and play in Turkey?

He said he'd always wanted to play abroad and this was a good opportunity. He knew Eddie Newton already and that was a factor. 

9 hours ago, Swede said:

Afobe has unfinished business here.

For me he is a top class striker who would easily fit in here. There are the inevitable question marks over his long term fitness but he was certainly not ready when he came back and played later in the season. Maybe with a more experienced Manager overseeing he would've seen things differently. He will be available cut price as almost certainly Stoke don't want him and he definately doesn't want to be there.

He's a different type of striker to Wells. He can play as a lone striker or through the middle. Or run the channels and angles. A perfect foil for Kasey Palmer.

I think a lot depends on the contract situation with Diedhiou but a top quality striker who loved his time here who is available  . . . It's a no brainer for me 

How can it be a no brainer when he’s had so many injuries ?

Cant keep signing players with bad injury records and just crossing our fingers 

Archived