IGNORED

just hope the scream'o'meter is not introduced

On 09/03/2021 at 11:03, Red-Robbo said:

I think routine video scrutiny of all PL games should be undertaken with retrospective cards awarded for obvious dives - a red if the dive was in the penalty box, otherwise a yellow. The system of having specific incidents referred to the FA panel clearly is insufficient. 

I have some sympathy with refs who have to watch more than one thing in fast-moving games and feel they need to err on the side of caution rather than ignore what might be, when reviewed, a foul.

Re: @Robbored's suggestion that diving was brought to English football by "highly strung, foreign imports" I have two words Francis Lee. 

I have two more. Liam Grealish.

On 08/03/2021 at 17:34, Robbored said:

I guess it’s about whether you see conning the referee as cheating or not. Some of these imports are particularly experienced at it and therefore not easy to tell which it is.

It’s not just ‘imports’ believe me, it’s a regular occurrence in the Somerset  county league now, seriously.

53 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s not just ‘imports’ believe me, it’s a regular occurrence in the Somerset  county league now, seriously.

Where did they learn to do it tho?  MotD, Sky and BT football coverage is my guess.

On 12/03/2021 at 09:43, Robbored said:

Where did they learn to do it tho?  MotD, Sky and BT football coverage is my guess.

Yes most certainly, what happens on the tv makes it down to the lower levels very quickly. This is why when we see the top players telling the ref to F off, you see the same thing on a Sunday morning..... but with different consequences for the player. What these players get away with at the top level is scandalous, and puts pressure on officials at the lowest level, simply because players think it’s acceptable. 

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes most certainly, what happens on the tv makes it down to the lower levels very quickly. This is why when we see the top players telling the ref to F off, you see the same thing on a Sunday morning..... but with different consequences for the player. What these players get away with at the top level is scandalous, and puts pressure on officials at the lowest level, simply because players think it’s acceptable. 

Many years ago I was running a Sunday boys team and when Klinsman scored for Spurs and dived full length in celebration and the boys did exactly the same when they scored. Same again when Cantona scored and pulled the back of his shirt collar up and posed......what professional footballers  do on the pitch absolutely gets copied certainly at youth level.

Archived