IGNORED

Welcome Back CO'D!

Port Said Red

52 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Blackburn will have a bit more in midfield than Brum did - Bradley Dack is fit and firing again for one thing.

Another thing is that they've won 1 in the last 10, losing 7 of them.

Excellent return for COD, going to need to do that much more regularly before I change my view on him. Hopefully he pushes on and this isn’t another performance like that against norwich that precedes a decline.

It’s now or never for COD now, not set the world alight so far (and tried and failed to engineer a move to Leeds) but there have been flashes of real quality from him. Just got to find consistency which will hopefully come from a run of games.

It is already clear that we are getting the ball away from our goal toward upper midfield and the strikers much quicker than the last two to three years. 

The shackles of turning back to our goal appear to have been banished. 

To win all three away games indicates that we already have a game plan for away games.

The real hard work for NP and the squad is to play as the home team and open up massed defences for our goals, instead of being the away side at Ashton Gate!

29 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

One thing I did notice about Callum before got injured( and was referenced by Rene, I think, in commentary) was that he's worked hard on his physique ... much stronger...he's got all the attributes... let's see...

In fairness he’s looked a good physical specimen (for a tall, slim lad) for a good 2 seasons now.  It’s not a recent thing imho.

I can understand why to some people he's a bit Marmite. He just started to look good, got injured, so some hadn't seen much in him. Then it took a while to have any sustained impact, not enough consistency . But I do think he had been one of our best players before his most recent injury. He can go past players, he has an understanding of his defensive duties and he can play in a few positions. 

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Vyner at RB at some point (not necessarily Wednesday).

I much prefer 4231 to 433, even those it’s not different.  It might not suit Wells, but I think Semenyo and O’Dowda are better moving forward than coming towards the ball.

To me, that 4-2-3-1 looks tailor made for Wells central instead of Fam, with COD in the left side role. Wells isn't a good fit there, but in the middle if a chance drops he will finish. 
I was thinking yesterday, that Vyner coming back could give Hunt a rest. Hunt does seem to have poor games when in a longer run of games, and it would be good to see him at RB again. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It is already clear that we are getting the ball away from our goal toward upper midfield and the strikers much quicker than the last two to three years. 

The shackles of turning back to our goal appear to have been banished. 

I wouldn't take that as our new way of playing just yet. Yesterday seemed a plan to play on their defence and get Semenyo, Wells and Fam running at their back line. They looked awful when , specially AS , had the ball at his feet.  
We are very much in a sort of nursery school phase. Everythings new, you're getting used to your surroundings and just getting by. When Nige is happy he has a future here, and when he knows the players fully (or enough) , then we will see how he wants to play. He has said a few times, we need to win. At the moment he is setting up to do just that. That doesn't mean we won't play like that, we will want the energy, the pressing and the organisation. But I think he may well tweak game to game for now, just to get results. With luck he stays, then in the summer creates the team how he sees it. 
Must admit it was nice getting away from the pointless, risky  passing though.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Allegedly £1.2m + £400k add-ons + 30% sell-on.

A lot of people have mentioned his price tag in the past. Personally I feel we could get a lot more from him now than what we spent on him. 130 championship games, in and around the Ireland squad. If he has a full season without injury behind him I see no reason why he couldn’t be sold for £3.5m or above. 

He is, however, an average player. Won’t change the game or be the reason we win a game but one of those players where we could do a lot worse and have to pay big money to get someone better

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

He is, however, an average player. Won’t change the game or be the reason we win a game but one of those players where we could do a lot worse and have to pay big money to get someone better

He would be able to change a game if he kept his bloody head up instead of staring at his boots. Many coaches must have tried to get him to do that and failed, its the difference between him being OK and very good on occasions and being very good all the time and ultimately playing at a higher level. We'll see next season if NP can make a difference with him (hopefully).

19 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Took his goal well. I’ve never rated him but very happy to be proved wrong . Lovely through ball by KP as well 

I think it's a key point - both CD'D and KP have come in for some stick (some of it merited), but if used properly and coached, could be very fine players. 

Shame we don't have an unappreciated gem at the back to go with them...

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

B6B43DCB-E007-41A9-88D2-6CD1A402CC55.jpeg

Excluding the "imposter" in the Elite row, I saw four of those playing live. Eusebio, Moore, Matthaus, and Buffon, the latter at Ashton Gate for Italy under 23(?).

I went to Wembley to see Pele for Brasil but he was injured so missed out on the greatest goalscorer of my lifetime. But I did watch Big John many times who was a close second to Pele!

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Excluding the "imposter" in the Elite row, I saw four of those playing live. Eusebio, Moore, Matthaus, and Buffon, the latter at Ashton Gate for Italy under 23(?).

I went to Wembley to see Pele for Brasil but he was injured so missed out on the greatest goalscorer of my lifetime. But I did watch Big John many times who was a close second to Pele!

My favourite story of a youngster going to see Pele, was the lad who went with his dad to somewhere in France to see him play. Unfortunately, during the warm up, Pele struck a volley just over the bar and straight in lads face, and he had to spend the game in the nurses station while Pele scored a hat trick. :) 

CO'D was very impressive vs Brum, and Wycombe.

The level of physical ability today was much different. Him trying to twist and turn and beat his man, just doesn't have the same impact against competent players.

He's still for me much better in space than on that wing vs a comparatively skilled opponent. Think it's very clear what his skillset is at this point, and I don't think matching up vs quality fullbacks is it.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

CO'D was very impressive vs Brum, and Wycombe.

The level of physical ability today was much different. Him trying to twist and turn and beat his man, just doesn't have the same impact against competent players.

He's still for me much better in space than on that wing vs a comparatively skilled opponent. Think it's very clear what his skillset is at this point, and I don't think matching up vs quality fullbacks is it.

We saw tonight that against a better side than Brum (how they played Saturday), that we have a lot of hard work still do do.

O’Dowda did alright when he came on, but get him off set pieces! ?

He needs space to run into, that was priced again tonight, when he had it he looked threatening.  So if we play 4231 going forward I feel that will give him more space than 433 per se, but it’s about him finding space too, not just “playing the position”.  Look at how Rothwell and Holtby worked for each other tonight.  They didn’t stop running, switching angles, pivoting off of each other.

Think he’ll get a start on Saturday, and will be interesting to see how he matches up against Olusunde.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Thought he was decent when he came on. About 3 bad crosses from set plays. We saw earlier in the season him and Paterson both being very consistent one from each side with their corners. If we want in swinging from the right then he's the one that will take them being the only left footer.

Yes, he made it more uncomfortable for Rankin-Costello, and you sensed he might be the one to create something.  Another 25 mins.  Might be pushing for a start on Saturday.

Archived