IGNORED

G*s away 1985, anyone with a good memory?

1960maaan

I think I posted this on another thread, but just stumbled across it on my computer and it started me wondering.

This must be for the away game at Eastville on 13th of April 1985, though I'm surprised at the quick reply and refund.
I can vaguely remember something on the news saying we might be able to get a refund, and I'm vindictive enough to jump on that, but I can't remember what happened. I know we were in the right corner of the open end one year and got involved in a bit of a batton charge by the Police. I did think that was another game though. There were under 13,000 so not over crowding. 

Anyone recall what went on to make them feel so guilty so they offer a refund?

img20201030_11373359.thumb.jpg.de9f5e987f108d3a8b84cd2436fbdffc.jpg

I remember being stood in the open (Muller Road?) end, and I am sure it would have been around 1985, when we lost 1-0 in what was IIRC a pretty miserable match.  I have a bit of a memory of it being the game when there was a gale blowing, which seemed to blind us all, as the wind picked up all the sand, and no doubt some "doggie waste", from the greyhound track around the pitch.  My eyes were stinging quite badly after the game.  Maybe you got a refund for that?  If so, I am going to try and dig out my ticket!

2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Just looked, and the Gas won 1-0, as unbelievable as that sounds and around that time I remember getting to the ground in plenty of time to find huge queues at the turnstiles, maybe not enough open. Anyway as we queued, Rovers scored an early goal and we missed it and around 20minutes of the game. That could have been it?

Pretty sure Rovers scored in the second half in the game in question and there was only 13k there..

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Just looked, and the Gas won 1-0, as unbelievable as that sounds and around that time I remember getting to the ground in plenty of time to find huge queues at the turnstiles, maybe not enough open. Anyway as we queued, Rovers scored an early goal and we missed it and around 20minutes of the game. That could have been it?

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Pretty sure Rovers scored in the second half in the game in question and there was only 13k there..

What he said ⬆️

2 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember being stood in the open (Muller Road?) end, and I am sure it would have been around 1985, when we lost 1-0 in what was IIRC a pretty miserable match.  I have a bit of a memory of it being the game when there was a gale blowing, which seemed to blind us all, as the wind picked up all the sand, and no doubt some "doggie waste", from the greyhound track around the pitch.  My eyes were stinging quite badly after the game.  Maybe you got a refund for that?  If so, I am going to try and dig out my ticket!

It was 1-0 and Holloway scored in the 2nd half, I had to look it up, all I can think is it must have been something obvious or they wouldn't have given money back. 

Think it was the one where Steve Johnson was through on goal lobbed the keeper & the wind took his shot over the bar?

I have no recollection of why the blue few start giving refunds, as the “facilities” at Eastville were appalling for years before this, as the thread about the Martyn Hirst cup win previously said..

14 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember something around then, but not sure of the date. The sand blowing around was what the builders were using to build the Tesco supermarket I thought? Horrible to stand there in the open and have all that in your face all match. Not sure if this related to the refund, or have I got the timing totally wrong?

I also remember quite a it crush at the end of the match on the way out. Hillsborough was yet to happen and surges were quite common then. I remember being really squashed, holding my arms across my chest to try to give my lungs a chance to breathe. This has probably been my scariest moment at a match. I was being propelled along without my feet touching the floor, my boyfriend now husband trying to hold me up. Tough times.

58 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Indeed. A gale blowing straight down the pitch into our faces, playing havoc with all the Tesco bags we'd pinned to the railings!

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed. A gale blowing straight down the pitch into our faces, playing havoc with all the Tesco bags we'd pinned to the railings!

What a total shithole that place was.

Bloody non league terracing at Twerton, that stupid bit of enclosure by the ludicrously out of proportion stand at the Mem, I’ve watched us play those jokers at some truly pitiful venues.

They are an absolute shower, as the great T-T often said.

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What a total shithole that place was.

Bloody non league terracing at Twerton, that stupid bit of enclosure by the ludicrously out of proportion stand at the Mem, I’ve watched us play those jokers at some truly pitiful venues.

They are an absolute shower, as the great T-T often said.

yep vile club vile grounds

41 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Scruffy. Scruffy club, scruffy grounds, scruffy crowds. Scruffy Little Crowds watching scruffy football in a scruffy ground. Scruffy kit, too.

Yup, really progressed haven’t they!

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I remember something around then, but not sure of the date. The sand blowing around was what the builders were using to build the Tesco supermarket I thought? Horrible to stand there in the open and have all that in your face all match. Not sure if this related to the refund, or have I got the timing totally wrong?

I also remember quite a it crush at the end of the match on the way out. Hillsborough was yet to happen and surges were quite common then. I remember being really squashed, holding my arms across my chest to try to give my lungs a chance to breathe. This has probably been my scariest moment at a match. I was being propelled along without my feet touching the floor, my boyfriend now husband trying to hold me up. Tough times.

The sand constantly being blown in our face was a real pain - and I remember the crush on the way out too - they’ve never had a nice stadium in their history ...

5 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I have a bit of a memory of it being the game when there was a gale blowing, which seemed to blind us all, as the wind picked up all the sand, and no doubt some "doggie waste", from the greyhound track around the pitch.  My eyes were stinging quite badly after the game.  

This reads a bit like one of those “no claim, no fee” adverts;

Have you experienced temporary blindness or eye irritation due to flying shale and possible dog poo at a sub standard football ground?

Call this number to see if you might be entitled to compensation..

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This reads a bit like one of those “no claim, no fee” adverts;

Have you experienced temporary blindness or eye irritation due to flying shale and possible dog poo at a sub standard football ground?

Call this number to see if you might be entitled to compensation..

I was there that day. Saw bugger all through the sand storm.  Is it too late to claim?!?!

thinking about it... what is it with them.... used to call themselves Arabs... played in a ground that resembled a desert storm.... now they play in a tented village and are owned by an Arab? 

20 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I was there that day. Saw bugger all through the sand storm.  Is it too late to claim?!?!

thinking about it... what is it with them.... used to call themselves Arabs... played in a ground that resembled a desert storm.... now they play in a tented village and are owned by an Arab? 

And have a load of camels on the pitch.

Wasn't there a large corrugated iron construction round the back of the terrace?  I seem to remember a bloke next to me (and I'm pretty sure I was there with @BS4 on Tour...) catching his hand on an exposed screw holding the corrugated iron together and ripped his hand open: blood dripping everywhere.  

By the way, can I still get a refund?  I'm sure £2.20 in today's climate, what with interest and that, would both pay off my mortgage and push Rovers one more step towards the financial precipice...

Archived