IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

55 minutes ago, Akira said:

Exactly this mate. 

I'm stunned, and quite frankly a little ashamed of some our fans. We've had more mentions in this tournament than any other international competition that I can remember, we should be immensely proud to have not just one but 2 players who play for us, representing their country at the absolute top level, and put in fantastic performances. 

@Harry I think you're a great poster, but come on, they've been running around, putting in incredible amounts of energy and effort, against the best players in the world. Germany are FULL of superstars. Yet our Adam was playing, against them, and playing brilliantly.

Regardless of if there was anyone at fault for the goal or not, there isn't a single player on that pitch that didn't make 1 mistake during the game, they're all human. The elite have less mistakes in them, but they all still make them.

Lets not criticise for the sake of it, we should be super proud and praising of our players. Highlighting 1 error, just brings negativity in which isnt necessary imo. 

As Ralph said, only on here could you expect criticism for one of our players playing against the world's very best. 

I’m not criticising him. I said he had a 10/10 performance. 
I was simply highlighting a part of his game that I’ve seen numerous times in a city shirt. 
I also said in my initial post that I could completely understand why he did what he did. 
Not criticism. Just analysis. He played superbly. 

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Only here do I ever see so much negative criticism. 

It's maddening. Player who plays for us has a decent Euros, unusual for us to have players at the Euros in the main, and what do we do? find fault, call him rubbish and suggest selling him. 

As I mentioned, madness. 

Most of the posts here are saying he played brilliantly, but got caught once. I dont see anything wrong in that tbh. Its just analysing his performance. Also the talk of selling him is also valid - his stock may well be at its highest. 

According to FootballCritic (One of the best player rating sites) Adam was rated 7th overall and 2nd for Hungary players. 

https://www.footballcritic.com/european-championship-germany-hungary/player-stats/1797885

He should be immensely proud of his performances this tournament and we should be immensely proud of him.

Along with Kalas, every time Hungary or Czech Rep have played at this tournament, I've made sure my mates know they are Bristol City players and I have loved watching them as my second teams in the tournament.

You can criticize them all you want but 6/7 years ago I would have thought we were miles off having a player at the euros. Let alone two.

11 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

According to FootballCritic (One of the best player rating sites) Adam was rated 7th overall and 2nd for Hungary players. 

https://www.footballcritic.com/european-championship-germany-hungary/player-stats/1797885

He should be immensely proud of his performances this tournament and we should be immensely proud of him.

Along with Kalas, every time Hungary or Czech Rep have played at this tournament, I've made sure my mates know they are Bristol City players and I have loved watching them as my second teams in the tournament.

You can criticize them all you want but 6/7 years ago I would have thought we were miles off having a player at the euros. Let alone two.

So you link a site entitled “football critic” which gives Nagy a 7.1 and say he was the 7th best player. Yet I have provided my “critical analysis” and said he was a 10/10, but I’m the one who is “criticising”?

Just to be absolutely clear. I have said that he had a fantastic game. He should be very proud of himself. 
But surely critical analysis is part of what we are allowed to do as football fans? 
It’s not like I’m just saying “oh, he’s rubbish”. If I’d said something like that then I’d be a nob. I am providing critical analysis, in what I’d hope is a constructive manner, explaining exactly what I see as a weakness in his game and showing evidence (let me point out yet again, it’s a weakness which he himself acknowledges). 

I think people are a bit quick to jump on critical analysis and try to shut it down. It’s just my opinion on how I see the game. It’s not a personal attack on Nagy himself. It’s my critique of him as a footballer - for which I pay money toward his wages so I am perfectly entitled to make. Stop being so sensitive folks. 

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep. That’s what I said. He had a fantastic game. But the one mistake was crucial. 

In fairness in the Championship he would prob get away with that. I'm not his biggest fan but he does play better for Hungary than what i've seen for us.

15 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's the 'but' 

Apparently, we have to find fault in everything. 

Too much to celebrate good things without the but? 

Apparently so. 

Find negatives and things to critique in everything rather than having a whopping celebration that two of ours, two!! are putting Bristol City on the map, positively across the world. 

Instead,  we have grumbles he was good but... 

Entirely self destructive and as mentioned in the Kalas thread we've as in the Champs has more players in the Euros than ligue1 etc. 

Yet here we are trying to actively downplay and 'nark' success. 

It's absolutely maddening. 

Shock, Horror ! @RalphMilnesLeftFoot is once again maddened by someone having an opinion. Who would have believed it

30 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's the 'but' 

Apparently, we have to find fault in everything. 

Too much to celebrate good things without the but? 

Apparently so. 

Find negatives and things to critique in everything rather than having a whopping celebration that two of ours, two!! are putting Bristol City on the map, positively across the world. 

Instead,  we have grumbles he was good but... 

Entirely self destructive and as mentioned in the Kalas thread we've as in the Champs has more players in the Euros than ligue1 etc. 

Yet here we are trying to actively downplay and 'nark' success. 

It's absolutely maddening. 

So there’s 2 options :

1) Everyone has to say how great everything is, in a North Korean style. 
2) Close the forum 

I’ll continue to post my opinion thanks. 

• Admin

Different question, given Nagy is able to put in that kind of performance, at 26 is approaching his peak years as a footballer but that he himself has admitted its a deficiency in his game, do we think he is capable of improving that area of his game under this coaching set up, if not fully eradicating it, reducing it so it happens less frequently?

12 hours ago, Better Red said:

Brilliant player of the ball....

Goes unnoticed....

Does the work you don’t see...

As I said does not impact the game

Does he create -no

Does he carry the team forward - no

Does he get wide and cross - no 

Does he get stuck in - no

Does he break beyond the forward  -no

Does he score - no

Does he impact the game - no

Team was full off them last year get a decent price and sell

He's a defensive midfielder, that's not his role in the side? For the record he does score, seems to have bagged against QPR every time he's faced them. The guy is the the best midfielder currently at the club, it was clear as soon as he arrived, if he'd had better luck with injuries we would've seen this standard of performance every week as that was how he played when he first arrived. Breaks up play excellently, covers every blade of grass and can play a quality pass. The only argument for selling him can be that we might get an inflated fee for him, but if we're serious about progressing past mid table football we have to keep players like Nagy.

Nice to see Nagy get the credit he's deserved since his arrival, albeit for performances in a Hungary shirt. He had an excellent group stage and aside from one mistake against Germany was pretty much flawless from what I saw. It'll be a tough one to take, but to put in excellent shifts against Portugal, France and Germany you've got to be a great player.

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

Different question, given Nagy is able to put in that kind of performance, at 26 is approaching his peak years as a footballer but that he himself has admitted its a deficiency in his game, do we think he is capable of improving that area of his game under this coaching set up, if not fully eradicating it, reducing it so it happens less frequently?

I'd assume so, it's a positioning/discipline thing which is surely something that can be coached. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is Hungary's tactical setup more suited to his game than ours perhaps?

Not saying we should build round him but I do believe he is capable of playing at this level.

100% it is yes. 
I’m not saying it’s easy, but it’s certainly ‘easier’ to play a restrictive defensive midfield role in a team that is built to be very very tight and compact. 
Hungary have played with a very very defensive mindset, 5 at the back, 3 in midfield, all very well drilled and working incredibly hard to limit space for the opponent. But the space limitation is only in their own third of the pitch. They don’t press high. They essentially have 8 players defending the box. In such a system, the central DM is required to just hold their position and play within the width of the 18 yard box. 
For sure, it’s not easy. But in a championship team like ourselves, I don’t think we’d be happy adopting such a tactic, and the DM would be required to do a lot more ‘with the ball’ than has been expected of the Hungarian midfield. 

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He's a defensive midfielder, that's not his role in the side? For the record he does score, seems to have bagged against QPR every time he's faced them. The guy is the the best midfielder currently at the club, it was clear as soon as he arrived, if he'd had better luck with injuries we would've seen this standard of performance every week as that was how he played when he first arrived. Breaks up play excellently, covers every blade of grass and can play a quality pass. The only argument for selling him can be that we might get an inflated fee for him, but if we're serious about progressing past mid table football we have to keep players like Nagy.

Nice to see Nagy get the credit he's deserved since his arrival, albeit for performances in a Hungary shirt. He had an excellent group stage and aside from one mistake against Germany was pretty much flawless from what I saw. It'll be a tough one to take, but to put in excellent shifts against Portugal, France and Germany you've got to be a great player.

I agree. Thought he was magnificent.

But …. looking at Germany’s second. Did he lose his position due to his eagerness to close down the opponents on the far side of his area ….. leaving the German in space on the side Nagy was supposed to be shielding? 

Ultra critical may be…but if you were a professional coach maybe you wouldn’t be happy with that. 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

I agree. Thought he was magnificent.

But …. looking at Germany’s second. Did he lose his position due to his eagerness to close down the opponents on the far side of his area ….. leaving the German in space on the side Nagy was supposed to be shielding? 

Ultra critical may be…but if you were a professional coach maybe you wouldn’t be happy with that. 

Exactly 

He is very much a player suited to a certain system and does well in a set up of "players to suit the system" with definite structure and instructions.

Sadly in recent times for many reasons Bristol City have been constantly changing systems and throwing the "best" eleven players available onto the pitch and trying to build something around that - rarely works and can make otherwise very decent players look poor - IMO.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly 

I never played anywhere near professional level and certainly was not a defensive midfielder but it would be interesting to hear the views of those who have played at a high level or in that role on Nagy’s positioning on that German second. 

A possible forgivable error - if it is deemed as such -  that I suspect many would make in the dying moments of an intense game, having given an otherwise immaculate performance. 

14 hours ago, Marco the red said:

He may get minutes at the start....but we are going to be a high intensity, pressing side and I'm not sure he fits into that style of football at all. I would go so far as to say that It would not surprise me if he was gone by next summer.

Thing about Tyreeq though, we saw in those few games at the start of last season that there is an absolute rolls royce midfielder in there somewhere. Those couple of games were individual performances that I haven't seen from a City player in ages. That's worth persisting with. If he can find the consistency and fitness to play like that most games, then he is a starter in every game. His career ceiling is huge. Up to him to make the most of it. 

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

100% it is yes. 
I’m not saying it’s easy, but it’s certainly ‘easier’ to play a restrictive defensive midfield role in a team that is built to be very very tight and compact. 
Hungary have played with a very very defensive mindset, 5 at the back, 3 in midfield, all very well drilled and working incredibly hard to limit space for the opponent. But the space limitation is only in their own third of the pitch. They don’t press high. They essentially have 8 players defending the box. In such a system, the central DM is required to just hold their position and play within the width of the 18 yard box. 
For sure, it’s not easy. But in a championship team like ourselves, I don’t think we’d be happy adopting such a tactic, and the DM would be required to do a lot more ‘with the ball’ than has been expected of the Hungarian midfield. 

Excellent post Harry

Just now, the1stknowle said:

Thing about Tyreeq though, we saw in those few games at the start of last season that there is an absolute rolls royce midfielder in there somewhere. Those couple of games were individual performances that I haven't seen from a City player in ages. That's worth persisting with. If he can find the consistency and fitness to play like that most games, then he is a starter in every game. His career ceiling is huge. Up to him to make the most of it. 

(Sorry for off topic post)

33 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Shock! Horror! Two of the biggest trolls continue to try and antagonise whilst they're posts continue to 'neg' everything, and try and make it out that it's everyone else's fault their posts cant celebrate one iota of success without criticising

I'm Jack's lack of complete surprise with the MO. 

Back to Nagy, really excited to see what he offers next season. 

Will assume James/Williams holding

Massengo Nagy Semenyo attacking line, possibly, which mentioned ages ago. 

Whoop Whoop

“I'm Jack's lack of complete surprise with the MO.”

Sorry - you’re gonna have to write that in a comprehensible language for us trolls to understand? 

“Nagy attacking line”

So, here we are extolling the virtues of a 10/10 restrictive defensive midfield performance, acknowledging that it’s clearly his best role, and you want to play him as an attacking midfielder? 

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

In your opinion.  When I see him being the catalyst for improving the team or the midfield’s performance I will reflect my opinion accordingly.  At the moment I see his performances being reactive, that is, when the team plays well he invariably does.  When it plays poorly, he invariably plays poorly too.  It is rare to come away from a game (imho) and say “god, we were shite today, but Nagy was great and he tried to drag everyone up to his level”.  In fact I’m not sure I’ve ever said that.

How does that correlation work for Joe Morrell, because some posters (not you per se), say his performance don’t count?  I’m being facetious, but many OTIB posters make up their mind and then don’t change it based on evidence, whether that is positive or negative.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

100% it is yes. 

Thank you.

So, we’ve just had 2/3 seasons of playing counter-attacking football with the likes of Pack and others  “sat in”, never venturing from 5-10 yards away from our CBs, and people want him to play the same way for us as he does for Hungary.  Lordy, effin’, Lordy.

However, keeping powder dry, he can be a better performer for us.  He might come to the fore alongside Williams or James, or both.  But it will be by contributing more than just screening a set of CBs and nipping in and intercepting.  For City he will have to do more with the ball at his own feet, and more (like he used to do) when his teammates have the ball, especially the full-backs.  The DM is crucial to inside passing and breaking the line’s with the pass that follows.  Declan Rice fails as a DM in that respect as an example.

Nagy discipline is not the best, but he is a very hard working man. I mean you can't hate him, he really wants to prove every game. The thing is that he lacks a bit of phisicality and he was not well suited to our system.

I think he needs another chance, and we don't have to play him really defensive. He needs to be paired with someone more strong and more defensive.

I think one thing that Kalas and Nagy can take from this tournament is confidence. 

Both performed well and received praise from neutral fans watching their games. 

Playing in our squad last season where key players wanted away and didn't give a shit, with question marks over much of the team, with a horrendous record for suffering injuries and poor fitness, they both looked as dispirited and out-of-form as the rest of the squad.

If they bring their Euro's boost back to the side, it'll give everyone a lift. 

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Given there's a World cup next year, I can't see AN being happy not playing. 

Sadly, I think he will be off.

Still seems to get picked for Hungary regardless so not sure it’s an issue really. You’d imagine he’d want to kick on and be a first team player here or elsewhere now though. 

Worth pointing out that Hungary aren't always that counterattacking/reactive. They will play more positively vs sides more in and around their level IMO.

Results vs Turkey and Serbia in 2020 Nations League, possibly win at home to Wales in qualifying as well are examples of that- eliminating Iceland, who got to the last couple of tournaments in a playoff for this another example. They were playing against 3 very strong sides and were nonetheless positive when they could be albeit in a reactive manner.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Worth pointing out that Hungary aren't always that counterattacking/reactive. They will play more positively vs sides more in and around their level IMO.

Results vs Turkey and Serbia in 2020 Nations League, possibly win at home to Wales in qualifying as well are examples of that- eliminating Iceland, who got to the last couple of tournaments in a playoff for this another example. They were playing against 3 very strong sides and were nonetheless positive when they could be albeit in a reactive manner.

Spot on, plus not only did they face 3 sides who are a lot better than them (gaining 2 draws in the process) but did so without by far their best player Szoboszlai, who missed the whole tournament through injury.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

The number 15 let Werner go, that's the mistake for me. He neither went with him or was aware to try and at least cut out the pass. He was walking back leaving Werner free to run off of him into space in the box to receive the pass.

That's what led to the goal as when Werner shot it was 5 German players vs 4 Hungary outfield players in the box.

Also the Hungary forward was way too late coming back to help out his teammates. If either of those 2 are switched on then that goal might not happen.

Fair do’s.

I thought Nagy had deserted his position to rush at the German around the edge of the 6 yard box - along with a couple of his colleagues - and left space behind him which he should have been covering that the Germans then exploited.

As I’ve reached an age where I often have difficulty remembering which year I’m in and this getting towards forensic analysis of yesterday’s events, I’m happy to take your version of events. 

Archived