IGNORED

Loan or Stay?

RedRoss

Considering the youth exposure in the first team last season was probably one of the only positives.

Out of the current crop of youngsters around the first team who would you like us to send out on loan for development or keep available for this season? I know all these will be assessed in preseason but just wanted to see people's thoughts.

Cam Pring

Sam Pearson

George Nurse

James Morton

Sam Bell

Ryley Tower

Owura Edwards

Alex Scott

Tommy Conway

Louis Britton

Saikoh Janneh

As it stands, with no additional striker signed, I would loan out:

Janneh and Bell of the forwards (keep Britton as the target man cover, and Conway because I love him to bits)

Morton - not sure he’s gonna get an opportunity.  He might be moved on permanently.

Nurse - looks like he’s leaving permanently to Cheltenham 

The rest I’d keep around, even just more “togetherness” in the 23s from a game-time point of view, training with first team, getting minutes / squad time here and there.

Would be nice to see someone like Baker mentoring Towler, Weimann with S.Pearson, etc.

Re Bell, I’d ideally like to keep him around but I think Conway is ahead of him (imho).  I rate him, just not quite as highly as Conway.  If we sign a Pigott type, then Britton may go on loan.

Lots of dynamics in play here.  Being all together at Failand is gonna help too.

Interesting to see how much you rate Conway @Davefevs
I thought he was very energetic and definitely has an eye for goal when loaned elsewhere.

We have such a good looking underbelly of youngsters coming through.

Would love to see to them all shine but I do like the thought of local lads coming through the ranks.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Janneh and Bell of the forwards (keep Britton as the target man cover, and Conway because I love him to bits)

Morton - not sure he’s gonna get an opportunity.  He might be moved on permanently.

The rest I’d keep around, even just more “togetherness” in the 23s from a game-time point of view, training with first team, getting minutes / squad time here and there.

Would be nice to see someone like Baker mentoring Towler, Weimann with S.Pearson, etc.

Re Bell, I’d ideally like to keep him around but I think Conway is ahead of him (imho).  I rate him, just not quite as highly as Conway.  If we sign a Pigott type, then Britton may go on loan.

Lots of dynamics in play here.  Being all together at Failand is gonna help too.

Judging on last season and how people spoke about Bell, I think he is above Conway in the pecking order, I feel Bell offers a little extra than Conway with his team xtra pace. I would send Conway out on loan to get more game time and experience along with Janneh who I’m not convinced on in the long term. I also feel Britton could do with a 6 month loan spell to get him more league experience. 

27 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Interesting to see how much you rate Conway @Davefevs
I thought he was very energetic and definitely has an eye for goal when loaned elsewhere.

We have such a good looking underbelly of youngsters coming through.

Would love to see to them all shine but I do like the thought of local lads coming through the ranks.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 minute ago, redpole said:

Judging on last season and how people spoke about Bell, I think he is above Conway in the pecking order, I feel Bell offers a little extra than Conway with his team xtra pace. I would send Conway out on loan to get more game time and experience along with Janneh who I’m not convinced on in the long term. I also feel Britton could do with a 6 month loan spell to get him more league experience. 

He might well’ve been, but also circumstances played their part.  Conway and Britton sent out on loan, meant Bell got his opportunity to be in the first team “bubble”, and in fairness he took it.  Can’t argue with that.  Agree re Bell’s pace, but I thought Conway looked a more “rounded” striker who showed intelligence to work in a pair.  He just looks a natural in terms of when to come short, when to spin behind, and do it in conjunction with his partner.  In a funny kind of way he reminds me a bit of a very young Shearer (might be the hair) at Southampton.   Got that bit of edge to him too, so if he fills out too he could be a gem.

I’m not sure Janneh will make it with us. Very limited minutes to see him play, but didn’t show as much as the other 3 young strikers and he might be a victim of there being better (and younger) strikers around.  But I’ll wait and see.

As it stands Britton is the only “big-man” other than Martin, so will wait to see who else we bring in.

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When does Britton’s contract expire?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

He might well’ve been, but also circumstances played their part.  Conway and Britton sent out on loan, meant Bell got his opportunity to be in the first team “bubble”, and in fairness he took it.  Can’t argue with that.  Agree re Bell’s pace, but I thought Conway looked a more “rounded” striker who showed intelligence to work in a pair.  He just looks a natural in terms of when to come short, when to spin behind, and do it in conjunction with his partner.  In a funny kind of way he reminds me a bit of a very young Shearer (might be the hair) at Southampton.   Got that bit of edge to him too, so if he fills out too he could be a gem.

I’m not sure Janneh will make it with us. Very limited minutes to see him play, but didn’t show as much as the other 3 young strikers and he might be a victim of there being better (and younger) strikers around.  But I’ll wait and see.

As it stands Britton is the only “big-man” other than Martin, so will wait to see who else we bring in.

Agree we have 3 promising strikers in Bell,Conway and Britton all with different skill sets. I think Bell looks ahead of Conway as he also has ability to play out wide in a front three. Conway is great in his intelligent running and working with a front man but I just feel he could do with a good 6 month loan spell where he is playing to get more experience. Opinions are great and we all have different opinions on players. 

I think Jannah has been left behind with these 3 promising players, potential is there but just don’t think he will make it at city. 

For me is to difficult judge. I certainly haven’t seen enough of any of them to make an informed view. 

However Nige has already brought in some experienced players to provide a core of the team and now he has a plethora of young talent to combine with them - an implementation of SLs strategy of several years ago, the first City manager to visibly actually do that.

Archived