IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

The new stadium at the FM wasn’t mentioned as part of the Temple Quay or St Phillips redevelopment on Points West tonight, so it must nearly be finished now.

Maybe that is delaying the new (non) tent at Membley.

Property prices must have taken a hit in the Fruit Market area, this developement next to Totterdown Bridge has come to a grinding halt with no progress in the last 6 months. Maybe the view of da Roverz new stadium is putting off potential buyers?

Screenshot 2023-04-04 112530.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, myol'man said:

Property prices must have taken a hit in the Fruit Market area, this developement next to Totterdown Bridge has come to a grinding halt with no progress in the last 6 months. Maybe the view of da Roverz new stadium is putting off potential buyers?

Who the hell would want to live there? Especially the lowest levels

On 29/03/2023 at 12:05, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, I saw or read one of their players saying that the old strength of Yeovil was that all the players used to live in the town.

This isn't some sepia-tinged memory but from the time when GJ / LJ were there.

You're not going to beat that for team spirit and the town getting behind the club, hence the overachieving and cup runs.

If the owners however treat it as just another club then that is what it will become.

8 hours ago, myol'man said:

The company that built them went bust. They are looking for a new invester to finish the inside of the building. No takers so far. Shambles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

is that the same stretch that runs up the back of the dogs home? if so, when i worked at mototech, on a hot day at low tide ,it used to stink

I used to work at City Link in Barton Hill and on a bad day you could smell it from there as well!!

Must be awful that close to it!

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, TomF said:

Midas who ironically sold their HQ land to SL for the sporting quarter development I think? 

Recently been a land slip next to that site on riverbank very close to the ground level… not sure I’d so keen on moving in.. especially with the view of Bristol Waste, The Fruitmarket etc.  Top floors must have some view tho 

We drove past there last Monday and were discussing how lovely it would be to have a balcony above the A4! :)

Seriously, I think developing brownfield sites is better than using green belt and that affordable housing is always going to be in less desirable positions, but a building that size anywhere near the water system is always going to be a risk. You would think that the history of Coronation Road and Cumberland Road would act as a warning sign for these developments. 

There are so many other brownfield sites that are more suitable for development, but I think that's for another thread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, myol'man said:

You have to say well done to the marketing team for the angle of that view, it looks idyllic. Peaceful countryside, possibly with kingfishers and otters to spot from the balcony whilst the blue waters drift by.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

You have to say well done to the marketing team for the angle of that view, it looks idyllic. Peaceful countryside, possibly with kingfishers and otters to spot from the balcony whilst the blue waters drift by.

It reminds me of a story my dad used to tell about coming home by train during the war. He was at a station somewhere, was on the platform waiting and spotted a poster showing beautiful blue waters with a swimming pool close to the water, sun shining men and women scantily clad etc. He was thinking how much he would rather be there when he saw the tagline... "Come to Sunny Severn Beach" ?

I don't think he ever trusted a marketing poster again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Take a drive over the green bridge one day. The whole area is a shithole...

“A drop in budgeted attendances” in a promotion season?

Though one that was only actually achieved after hammering Scunthorpe’s youth team. 

Something doesn’t add up here, either their support is worse than they expect & we are consistently told by their friends in the media or they are telling us they lost more money simply because they went up, or both.

Interesting footnote about the “new” stand too, “no indication” they have yet sought planning permission..

4 months to go now until the new season starts, so the clock is ticking on this fantasy structure..

• Like 2

Just now, GrahamC said:

“A drop in budgeted attendances” in a promotion season?

Though one that was only actually achieved after hammering Scunthorpe’s youth team. 

Something doesn’t add up here, either their support is worse than they expect & we are consistently told by their friends in the media or they are telling us they lost more money simply because they went up, or both.

Interesting footnote about the “new” stand too, “no indication” they have yet sought planning permission..

4 months to go now until the new season starts, so the clock is ticking on this fantasy structure..

I don't follow the rules around financials that closely, we have far more engaged minds looking at Championship FFP and all that jazz, but I'm fairly sure that Leagues One and Two operate under a 'maximum squad salary' system, where the total wage bill can't exceed a certain amount - I think it's about 2.5mil for League One (give or take a few quid).

Just had a quick look (it is 2.5mil by the way) and the Fewers have 33 players in their first team squad.

That would work out at an average of about £1500 a week - I'm sure some players get more which in turn would mean some would get less. I'd be amazed if most of them weren't trying to support the lifestyle of a professional footballer from that money. Leased car, fancy watch, couple of holidays every summer, designer clobber etc.... I wonder how many of them are on the property ladder or have plans for what they'll do when their careers end. Be amazed if any of them are sitting on a tidy pile of cash, unless like that Sinclair, they're playing out the fag-end of a career that has been largely spent in the higher divisions. 

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't follow the rules around financials that closely, we have far more engaged minds looking at Championship FFP and all that jazz, but I'm fairly sure that Leagues One and Two operate under a 'maximum squad salary' system, where the total wage bill can't exceed a certain amount - I think it's about 2.5mil for League One (give or take a few quid).

Just had a quick look (it is 2.5mil by the way) and the Fewers have 33 players in their first team squad.

That would work out at an average of about £1500 a week - I'm sure some players get more which in turn would mean some would get less. I'd be amazed if most of them weren't trying to support the lifestyle of a professional footballer from that money. Leased car, fancy watch, couple of holidays every summer, designer clobber etc.... I wonder how many of them are on the property ladder or have plans for what they'll do when their careers end. Be amazed if any of them are sitting on a tidy pile of cash, unless like that Sinclair, they're playing out the fag-end of a career that has been largely spent in the higher divisions. 

Trust me, laughing at some of the media pictures of their new signings over the last few years grimacing whilst holding up that tatty piece of cheap nylon whether it be beside a white plastic garden chair or in a field full of dog shit, I would confidently say that signing for that tin pot outfit is a clear indication their career is finished. One even refused to sign with them and preferred non league!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

So with the amount of loan players they have, I'm assuming that they don't particularly have any players to cash in on, except maybe their striker, Aaron Collins is it?

Who I'm sure they'll value at a zillion billion pounds, and then accept the first £200k offer than gets tabled.

No idea how long the bloke has left on his contract, but you can be confident that he'll not sign a new deal. 

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We drove past there last Monday and were discussing how lovely it would be to have a balcony above the A4! :)

Seriously, I think developing brownfield sites is better than using green belt and that affordable housing is always going to be in less desirable positions, but a building that size anywhere near the water system is always going to be a risk. You would think that the history of Coronation Road and Cumberland Road would act as a warning sign for these developments. 

There are so many other brownfield sites that are more suitable for development, but I think that's for another thread.

No, the discussion of brown fields is quite appropriate on this thread.

The staff at the Mem were so moved by Mr Gorringe's explanation and excuses for Rovers huge losses that today the sanitary facilities at the Mem quickly became overloaded.