IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That isn't what the club has said in earlier statements.

The swap is they give the developer all of the Memorial Stadium site, in which the developer will build and sell houses and flats, and in return they will receive a, presumably smaller, piece of land on the fruit market site and the developer will build them a stadium.

It isn't a freebie, the aim is profit on selling houses on the memorial ground land exceeds or at least reaches the cost of building the new ground and the value of the land it is built on.

This is similar to the UWE / Sainsbury's deal as the new ground is being funded by the sale / swap of the existing one.

As with that one though there is no guarantee that it will happen.

The core of this plan will be building properties for sale on the fruit market site, the new Rovers ground is in there in the hope that it will make obtaining planning permission easier and maybe add some additional profit for the developer if the new houses on the Memorial Stadium land sell well.

It could all go ahead with Rovers entirely cut out, they are not going to be a core part of the plan.

Exactly @Eddie Hitler

Really strange way of funding a new stadium.

Both City, and Luton as another good example have secured the other areas of land that can be used through development to fund a new stadium (in City's case the AV and subsequent Sports Village).

Why Wael isn't looking to do the Fruit Market proposal himself is indicative of the complete lack of funds he actually has available. 

If all of this comes to fruition, the Gas will end up with absolutely no fixed assets at all (similar to Coventry's nightmare), and will be beholden to whoever their landlord is.

At some stage that landlord will change, and they will find themselves at a huge disadvantage trying to renegotiate new terms. It's got disaster written all over it.

Why give up your ownership of your own ground? Why haven't Rovers done a planning application for the Memorial ground themselves for either ground redevelopment or housing. If the housing was granted (like Lansdown' s was for the Sports village) you could always sell the proposal to another developer or do it yourself.

Just seems like a really lazy option that they've taken, allied to in financial terms a massive premium being paid to being part of the Fruit Market development (which in essence they are piggybacking on).

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

As someone who lives nearby, there is quite literally nothing by it other than the recycling centre. Paintworks is ******* ages away and also, hardly a bustling area. 

they are genuinely deluded aren’t they

Reeks of “tell me you don’t know an area without telling me you don’t know an area”

Interestingly both sites are roughly the same distance from the fountains in the centre, which surprised me a little.

• Like 1

Far being a City fan 'seething', I am off to buy some popcorn so I can enjoy the ride.

The numbers won't work. Either Wally puts the money in (and he hasn't previously) or it isn't happening. Whilst a sale of the Mem gives them the land swap unless they pay for the build why would the developer risk having a stadium on their land when the football club (any football or rugby club) is a huge risk relative to any other option that they could build?

It would make more sense for them to build an indoor arena than a new stadium.

Relax everyone. The world is a strange place financially and businesses are very risk averse these days. High interest rates will be around for a while. It may be Rover's pipe dream but that won't be a dream shared by Conygar who are a PLC and won't be allowing their shareholders to take risk on behalf of a lower league football club with a dodgy culture and an owner who is on an ego trip.

???

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Some of their comments beggar belief

"I would love a 40-45 thousand stadium capacity"
So more than Villa Park, Stamford Bridge, Hillsborough, Goodison, Elannd Road? for a club that averages 7-9K?
For comparison sake this is like us saying we need a 100K capacity, it is a x5 multiple!

"fast foward straight to phase 2 of the build as we will most likely be in the Prem by then."

Based on what? being 15th in League One and being regular whipping boys to most decent teams in their division this season?
They have never been in the top division in their history, and have not as far as i know ever threatened to do so.

The gap between League One and Chamionship is now huge as evidenced by the number of clubs that have gone straight back down in recent seasons. At the top end of the championship the number of clubs without Parachute Payments getting promoted is ridiculously small, and those that do have usually invested in their squad to a level rovers can only dream of - Andy Tilson is STILL their record signing by all accounts.

I think most gasheads are envisioning a stadium that is a "smaller version" of the Tottenham stadium (no expense spared) what they are much more likely to get without them funding it is a basic concrete build with limited facilities - which as far as I can tell they will not own? So all the talk of concerts etc. won't matter as they will be lining the pockets of Congyar or whoever operates the development.

Coventry MK II looms - it's going to be fun!

Edited by cityal
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Far being a City fan 'seething', I am off to buy some popcorn so I can enjoy the ride.

The numbers won't work. Either Wally puts the money in (and he hasn't previously) or it isn't happening. Whilst a sale of the Mem gives them the land swap unless they pay for the build why would the developer risk having a stadium on their land when the football club (any football or rugby club) is a huge risk relative to any other option that they could build?

It would make more sense for them to build an indoor arena than a new stadium.

Relax everyone. The world is a strange place financially and businesses are very risk averse these days. High interest rates will be around for a while. It may be Rover's pipe dream but that won't be a dream shared by Conygar who are a PLC and won't be allowing their shareholders to take risk on behalf of a lower league football club with a dodgy culture and an owner who is on an ego trip.

???

Indeedy. This idea, it isn't even a plan yet, is much less advanced than their UWE/Sainsburys tie-up which, as we know, fell over more rapidly than an out-of-possession Gas player in the opposition penalty box.  We are not in an economic climate where large developers want to get involved in speculative deals that may not bear them fruit for a long time.

However even if the Field of Plums got built, I'd be relaxed. It's be like Field of Dreams in reverse: "If you build it, they still won't ******* come!"

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, cityal said:

what they are much more likely to get without them funding it is a basic concrete build with limited facilities - which as far as I can tell they will not own? 

That was the premise 2? Years ago. No idea if it’s the current thinking or if the ownership model has changed since then.

Be interesting to see if the developers ask all interested parties to pony up a lump of cash as a no-regrets spend to enter in to a partnership or teaming agreement. 

The sort of funding that would allow for a site wide design consultation, traffic infrastructure and all the other stuff that goes towards making a coherent plan.

No ides how much an idea costs to get from a 'maybe we could do this' to 'our planning application is complete, let's send it off'. Be amazed if there was change from a million quid though, KCs, architects, planning experts, town planners, consultants etc... They'll all need a coin.

Would certainly give the Fewers an idea as to how committed Wally is.

Also, on what balance sheet would these costs fall.

Apologies if mentioned already; but wasn't there a campaign group who wanted the Slumorial to remain as a memorial to the fallen, when Sainsburys were looking to buy the land ?

I wonder if they are still around / active / maybe looking for donations for their cause ? ?

Edited by The Gasbuster

They will sale the memorial ground to the developer 

The developer at the market will announce they can’t get planing for a football ground

the owners of rovers will walk away with their investment back 

leaving rovers home less again

happy days are coming 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking at that thread they keep talking like the whole area is going to be given over to a stadium and it's environs, when in reality it would have to be squeezed in between housing, offices and retail outlets. I don't see how it can be much bigger than you suggest or have any room for expansion if it was ever required.

Like Leyton Orient with the flats in the corners?

Brisbane Road has a capacity of 9.2k. Much better suited to Rovers given their current gates. Model it on Brisbane road and they might be able to squeeze a tidy little 9-10k seater in amongst the flats and commercial use stuff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Like Leyton Orient with the flats in the corners?

Brisbane Road has a capacity of 9.2k. Much better suited to Rovers given their current gates. Model it on Brisbane road and they might be able to squeeze a tidy little 9-10k seater in amongst the flats and commercial use stuff.

I'm thinking Colchester / Shrewsbury circa 10k, expandable to 14 / 15, more than enough for their 7k home support.

Be careful coming into City land saggies.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

How much delusion can you get in just 3 posts.

Screenshot_2023-04-07-09-09-57-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Gulfofaden seems happy to be close to the M32 and TM railway… 

Those areas are a sh*thole. If you’re coming into Bristol it’s not a pleasant first sight is it…

• Like 1