IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

There's a lot - a hell of a lot - to criticise Barton for but I actually thought that interview was unusually self-aware and open for a manager. Essentially "if I'm not good enough to get a team promoted out of League One and established in the Championship within three seasons, I need to accept I'm probably never going to manage at the level I want to". Bristol Rovers is a strange horse to strap yourself to in that scenario but it's quite unusual for a manager to say that they're getting the support they need to succeed and it is on themselves if they fail to take it. Certainly haven't had that with some of our previous managers and you can compare and contrast with Nathan Jones' "everyone's fault but mine" interview earlier in the week. 

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

There's a lot - a hell of a lot - to criticise Barton for but I actually thought that interview was unusually self-aware and open for a manager. Essentially "if I'm not good enough to get a team promoted out of League One and established in the Championship within three seasons, I need to accept I'm probably never going to manage at the level I want to". Bristol Rovers is a strange horse to strap yourself to in that scenario but it's quite unusual for a manager to say that they're getting the support they need to succeed and it is on themselves if they fail to take it. Certainly haven't had that with some of our previous managers and you can compare and contrast with Nathan Jones' "everyone's fault but mine" interview earlier in the week. 

I must agree, although I think this is highly rare, as Barton usually spouts..

”There’s no excuses today.. the ref was their 12th man”

”There’s no excuses today.. they kicked us off the pitch”

”There’s no excuses today.. etcétéra”

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

18 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I must agree, although I think this is highly rare, as Barton usually spouts..

”There’s no excuses today.. the ref was their 12th man”

”There’s no excuses today.. they kicked us off the pitch”

”There’s no excuses today.. etcétéra”

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks to the line of "I had the support and backing if I needed" if he does not succeed. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 23:01, pongo88 said:

This current weather related tangent has reminded me that you don’t seem to get matches abandoned because of fog any more. I can remember a City match abandoned at half time because of fog, but that was in the days when you could have a good night out for a shilling and still come home with change. Where has it gone. 

V Leeds

• Admin
12 hours ago, richyy66 said:

They probably have the old stand stored away in someone's garage in the likelihood that get planning refused  and have to put the tent back up.

There temporary stand used to be taken down each summer and then used at the Wimbledon tennis tournament, I wonder if that is where it has gone 

13 hours ago, Pedrowe said:

The planning application hasn’t even been  registered yet ?.

As we’re aware, Bristol City Council isn’t widely renowned for their swift decision-making... Typically, applications of this nature require a period of 8-13+ weeks to navigate through the system, which means they could be waiting right up to the beginning of the new season (presuming the application is registered in the next week or so). There is also a possibility that the application might be subject to review by a planning committee, especially if concerns are raised by residents in Horfield.

It’s so tinpot and unprofessional from Rovers to be leaving the planning process until the last minute, especially when they’re selling season tickets for a stand that hasn’t got planning permission. Surely they could’ve done it months ago ??‍♂️

This probably isn’t going to end well… ?

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

22 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Well that's a spare seat in the dugout they can use if the new stand isn't ready in time...

So thats a ground ban, as opposed to the normal dug out ban where managers have to sit in the stands.

Must have been a pretty sustained verbal attack on the officials.

The officiating is poor at the best of times and all managers/coaches have their moments, but this bloke has a problem in controlling himself. Only a matter of time....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So thats a ground ban, as opposed to the normal dug out ban where managers have to sit in the stands.

Must have been a pretty sustained verbal attack on the officials.

The officiating is poor at the best of times and all managers/coaches have their moments, but this bloke has a problem in controlling himself. Only a matter of time....

He will be able to stand with the other 10000 that are locked out I presume. They will probably lift him up on their shoulders.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The longest and most severe ban given out in many years. No shock there. 

If you scream at officials every game and also blame them for every loss in your post match, it’s gona come back to bite you at some point. 

Shame though, they'll probably do better with him not there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Well that's a spare seat in the dugout they can use if the new stand isn't ready in time...

Barton aside, I know it would never happen but what a great reward that would be for a supporter to sit with the players and coaches for a game. The best VIP day. Maybe just sign a non disclosure agreement so you don't go publicising anything afterwards.

I guess you would need to have a thick skin and ear plugs to sit on most benches. 

15 hours ago, Pedrowe said:

The planning application hasn’t even been  registered yet ?.

As we’re aware, Bristol City Council isn’t widely renowned for their swift decision-making... Typically, applications of this nature require a period of 8-13+ weeks to navigate through the system, which means they could be waiting right up to the beginning of the new season (presuming the application is registered in the next week or so). There is also a possibility that the application might be subject to review by a planning committee, especially if concerns are raised by residents in Horfield.

It’s so tinpot and unprofessional from Rovers to be leaving the planning process until the last minute, especially when they’re selling season tickets for a stand that hasn’t got planning permission. Surely they could’ve done it months ago ??‍♂️

This probably isn’t going to end well… ?

If this doesn’t go through it’s gonna be like watching Bristol manor farm with no stand ( I say stand in the loosiest possible context ) apart from the quality of football from manor farm will be better .

even if they do get permission they have virtually no time to erect anything decent before the season starts .I can see them running round 10 minutes before kick off trying to get everything in place a bit like a village fete on a Saturday afternoon . 

5 minutes ago, redkev said:

even if they do get permission they have virtually no time to erect anything decent before the season starts .I can see them running round 10 minutes before kick off trying to get everything in place a bit like a village fete on a Saturday afternoon . 

I think the pin the tail on the donkey stall would do some business. ?

11 minutes ago, redkev said:

If this doesn’t go through it’s gonna be like watching Bristol manor farm with no stand ( I say stand in the loosiest possible context ) apart from the quality of football from manor farm will be better .

Have you not been following proceedings..? It's going to be "same size as the Atyeo".....?

17 hours ago, glynriley said:

?

IMG_0069.thumb.jpeg.11c582479bf358d9fdd608c8665e2340.jpeg

• Haha 1

All I've seen so far of this "new stand" is just an "artist's impression" or for want of a better word, sketch [like on the back of a fag packet].

To submit that for planning you would need detailed dimensional plans for the structure. I'm thinking of drainage, toilet facilities and whether this blocks anyone's light or impacts on the residents behind the goal area.

I also walk my dog along the back of it early in the morning to see the frogs and toads that cross the area and early evening to see the bats that fly around and nest there. They are an endangered species don't you know.   

All very tinpot

• Haha 5