IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

On 11/07/2023 at 08:12, steviestevieneville said:

Why would you need a question mark for a statement which a rhetorical question is . According to Brittanica dictionary anyway . 

I really don't know and it really doesn't matter. I mean we could open up a debate on whether rhetorical questions should have a question mark or not, but I think it was pretty clear from my post, that the questions were rhetorical.

3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I really don't know and it really doesn't matter. I mean we could open up a debate on whether rhetorical questions should have a question mark or not, but I think it was pretty clear from my post, that the questions were rhetorical.

Getting boring now!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Anyway, back to the thread... R*vers are shit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1

21 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Convicts attendance was 29k.

Grimsby 18k.

I remember that it was under 30k we took that day. The occasion we took- I think it was 43k, but certainly over 40- was the 2007 play off v Shrewsbury. We were given extra tickets once Shrewsbury returned some of their allocation. It was actually widely reported at the time- by proper media outlets as well :)  that  it was the biggest following of any club at Wembley ( stop sniggering at the back) , the reason being obviously because of the extra allocation given. I'm  reasonably confident in saying that this record was broken , when Millwall were given something like 48k for a game against Wigan (FA Cup semi maybe?).

So yes, we really did take over 40k fans to Wembley once.

I have no figures on how many were locked outside though :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I actually think that we ought to embrace 1982 to the extent of having it as a second date on the club badge.

I wasn't old enough to really appreciate it at the time but the huge amount of work and cash put in by the rescue team and the supporters plus the actions of the Ashton Gate Eight should be celebrated IMO as 1982 was the year when the club could have died but through the actions of several incredibly hard working individuals, eight players ripping up their contracts, and many thousands of fans reaching into their pockets to buy shares and make donations it survived and has become the biggest and best club in the South West when it could so easily have folded.

Thank you all the people who in 1982 contributed to the rebirth of our club.

The players were given a fait accompli and were treated terribly- including by some City fans, don't take my word for it, ask people like Geoff Merrick, an absolute legend for your club There does seem to be a bit of a rewrite of history going on now, but at least the players are now being acknowledged.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The players were given a fait accompli and were treated terribly- including by some City fans, don't take my word for it, ask people like Geoff Merrick, an absolute legend for your club There does seem to be a bit of a rewrite of history going on now, but at least the players are now being acknowledged.

Understatement.

Time is a great healer (at least for 7 of them) but they were treated extremely badly (another understatement).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Understatement.

Time is a great healer (at least for 7 of them) but they were treated extremely badly (another understatement).

One can only imagine what those players would have gone through had social media been around at the time. If those individuals are still around I hope they are now ashamed of their actions. It happened at City, but it could have been at any club. There has been a fair bit of questioning of morals on this thread lately, but c***Ts are c***ts , no matter what team they support.

Anyway! I remember at the time thinking I didn't want you to go out of business and was looking forward to lording over you for the rest of my life.

It hasn't quite gone the way I was hoping!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

One can only imagine what those players would have gone through had social media been around at the time. If those individuals are still around I hope they are now ashamed of their actions. It happened at City, but it could have been at any club. There has been a fair bit of questioning of morals on this thread lately, but c***Ts are c***ts , no matter what team they support.

Anyway! I remember at the time thinking I didn't want you to go out of business and was looking forward to lording over you for the rest of my life.

It hasn't quite gone the way I was hoping!

Another understatement.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We could…I think most would prefer we didn’t 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I remember that it was under 30k we took that day. The occasion we took- I think it was 43k, but certainly over 40- was the 2007 play off v Shrewsbury. We were given extra tickets once Shrewsbury returned some of their allocation. It was actually widely reported at the time- by proper media outlets as well :)  that  it was the biggest following of any club at Wembley ( stop sniggering at the back) , the reason being obviously because of the extra allocation given. I'm  reasonably confident in saying that this record was broken , when Millwall were given something like 48k for a game against Wigan (FA Cup semi maybe?).

So yes, we really did take over 40k fans to Wembley once.

I have no figures on how many were locked outside though :)

The thing is we all know at least 25k of those were day trippers & not actual gas heads . @Robbored drove a minibus full of your lot & went to the game ? . Similar for us as well, plenty of day trippers at Wembley , or as your t shirts had printed back in the day . Rovers trip to wembly ???

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

oh my god, supporting Andrew Tate now….all jokes aside this is genuinely absolutely awful. 

I had heard that. I'm going to try and be balanced about this. I haven't listened to the entire interview, so maybe I shouldn't be too judgmental, but normally after hearing Tate talk for 30 seconds I  feel the neeed to shout 'What a ***' very loudly. 

Deeply depressing stuff that there are people who give the utter *** the time of day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

TBF, Barton is getting stick on their "forum".

The early posts suggested it was no big deal but yes the mood changed. This one struck me:

Tate is an evil bell end who needs locking up for a very long time. Hopefully this will happen in Romania.
Astounding that Barton wants to be associated with such a nause.

Though why anybody would be astounded I'm not sure, it's wholly in character 

• Like 1

I spoke too soon, the backtracking begins:

As with all these things I guess it's where you draw the line with freedom of speech and whether you should treat it as what someone does or says in their own life outside of a job as someway impacting on the job they do. Do I think I would get on with Joey Barton if I knew him personally, probably not. He is a pretty decent manager though and looking at it football wise I'm glad we have him. There are going to be people you don't like and there are going to be people who don't like you. Maybe we should stop worrying so much about these things.